SEI Railroad Update

Here are the details and some pics of my layout:

Scale: N
Size: 3 ft x 8 ft (but will get bigger later this year)
Time Period: Modern

My wife got me a Bachman Explorer train set for Christmas and I have been working on it in my free time. I had to start over in March because the benchwork I had built was not cutting it (word of advise, don't take shortcuts). I rebuilt the benchwork and redid the layout to make better use of the space and to simplify it some. I originally had this monster that was way to much for me in my beginner state. This is a version of the Ohio Central N Scale layout I saw. This weekend I got all the track glued down, wiring completed (for now, I will run more leads once I get the DCC system), and can run it operationally. I now can start on the buildings and scenery which I am looking forward too. On the layout their will be a warehouse, a metal manufacturer, and a meat processing plant (all serviced by the railroad). I also plan a nice town with everything having lights.

I know there are some issues but this is my first layout so I am experimenting with different things. When I expand the layout I will make some things more permenant. The control panel is temporary but I wanted to show everyone the labels I made on the computer showing what switch is what. Once I get all the lighting complete I will make a permenant panel with all the bells and whistles.

The back story:
The Southeast Iowa Railroad (SEI) was founded this year when several business owners were having a conversation on the cost of gas prices and how the rising transportation costs were effecting their business. Two men who overheard them suggested the idea of running a shortline railroad between the three towns. The business owners thought that was an excellent idea and after obtaining the financing the SEI was born. The SEI runs between Collinsville, Big Valley (my layout), and Jasper City (all fictional towns). Currently they own an old F7 but hope to soon add a newer loco (when financing becomes available, we all know that story). Business is booming and the SEI makes 2 runs a day. Soon, they hope to add another town with a freight yard to connect them to even more area.

I know this is kind of a long post but I am so excited. I remember a couple of months ago when things didn't seem like they were going to get this point. Even the wife is excited since she likes the hobby and craft stuff. She plans to help with somethings which I think is great. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

I hope to get started on some early next week. I want to place a backdrop and work from there. The siding with the loco and cars on it is actual staging and I need to build a scene block for it. I also plan on building some custom buildings using the cornerstone kits from DPM and Walters.

Back