Second Line?

StrasburgNut

Pennsy Area rail fan
I know that everyone has one particular railroad that they enjoy collecting and/or modeling. Be it Union Pacific, Santa Fe, Burnlington Northern, Pennsylvania, Conrail, etc...

I was curious to a few things.

1.) What is everyone's number one line?

2.) What is your secondary line?

3.) Do you run them together?

I'll start.

1.) Pennsylvania
2.) Burlington Northern
3.) I would like to eventually when I get my layout built, but if it were, yes.

Hello. My first line is shared...no really! I am an avid fan of both the NYC and the Pennsy, so I have a modest collection of both roads in steam. And I do really mean modest...as in about three locos each.

My other road is the UP, of which I have the Lionel HO Challenger, and would like to eventually get a BLI Mountain.

Finally, I have begun a fascination with the N&W mallets, and fear that I will end up with mostly N&W big steam and early diesels before the decade is closed. I have a Y6b coming for Christmas, and I would really like to have a second for shoving coal drags on my nearly 3% grades.

I model mainly CP and my local short line, ETR.

My secondary interests would be CSX, CN and my freelance road, the Southwestern Ontario (SWO)

If I ever get to build a layout it will feature CP and ETR with CN, CSX and NS interchanges. By taking off the CP and ETR power, I will be able to operate the layout as the SWO. and if I had a million dollars... :rolleyes:

I'd say PRR with the advent of the streamlined diesels, and just because of where I grew up: FEC.

I think it'd be absolutely BADARSE to build the flagler railroad from Miami-Key West (for that era, at least), with all the bridges and islands, be really cool for someone with a lot of room.

1. CSX
2. NS
3. Yes, eventually. Right now I have a 5' by 6' card table layout with a single track main. I am going to add 3 more table going down so it will be 20' by 6'. Then I will run NS on one track, CSX on the other, and have a interchange yard in the middle with some spurs on some other tracks.

Number one for me is, and will always be, the UP. Second is the road of my childhood, the NKP. If you mean running them together, sure, I have NKP freights interchanging with the UP all the time through my shortline, the Prattville and Northern. It's my my bridge over the decades. :)

BNSF/UP, and yes, they run togeather, it is Cajon pass! I do love Copper Range also, though I passively model it.

Ya'll will be shocked at my first choice, the Grande... :D

As for secondary lines, we love and run the CB&Q and ATSF.

My lifelong favorite road has always been the B&O. My B&O engine collection has been in storage since the year 2000 when I moved from my previous house. In 2004 I had a temporary surplus of cash [and lapse of good judgement]. I thought I could get my kids interested if I did something modern like CSX, so I bought a bunch of CSX locos, weathered them, and put decoders in them. But my kids never got interested. Not only that, but other former CSX modelers have now scrapped their stuff and bought transition-era models.

If I could run CSX and B&O engines together, I would - but they existed in different eras so it wouldn't look right.

Last edited by a moderator:
my #1 would be CN, we fish up there all the time. #2 would be Wisconsin Central which is easy to run side by side or even in the same lash up cause Cn bought Wisconsin Central

Not quite sure where the primary and secondary fall here, but I like to think I model the Montana Rail Link, but at least half the traffic on the MRL mainline is BNSF bridge traffic, so I keep a selection of SD40 and up BN,SF, and BNSF engines on hand. I see blue/yellow and red/silver warbonnet as well as BN green both patched and unpatched go by my house daily, which adds some spice to the BNSF creme/green,heritage I, II, III. They pull the Unit Trains (grain, coal, and intermodal) that pass thru my layout. MRL handles mixed freight, locals, and the occasional tourist excursion train and MOW trains.

Hmmmm.....

1st line....Union Pacific

2nd line(s)....fallen flags owned by UP

3rd line...mild interes in the UTAH Belt

Oh yeah I do run all UP, DRG, RI, CNW units...on my humble and tempaorary shelf layout. I do not have SP yet nor Utah Belt motive power as of yet. I do have a few demonstrator units in my stable though....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I sort of model the past railroads of the Southern Appalachian region. I'm not real picky about the this & thats of it; I just like these:

1. Southern
2. N&W
3. L&N
4. and using modeling license - GM&O:D
5. and even more modeling license - UP Challenger (on lease, of course:rolleyes: )

1. Southern, first and always!:D
2. Alabama Central a shortline that used to exsist up to late 1930's/early 1940's. Current incarnation allows me to use locos SRR never had.
3. In my world the AC has become a Class 1, and owns the SRR, but due to a strong tradition, allows the SRR to keep its corporate identity.:p

Holy Cow ! I like to run New York Central as my mainline and also Pennyslvania . But kinda like all Northeasten railroads. I have Model city & Buffalo a shortline that use to exist over a hundred and ten years ago but I updated it to suit my needs !!!!

#1 -- Southern Pacific
#2 -- Western Pacific
#3 -- Nevada Northern

Period setting is about 1972-1974, WP orange & silver to the early Perlman Green. Mostly Athearn and MDC. I have a point-to-point switching layout more or less based on around Battle Mountain, Nevada. Early geeps (7s and 9s) to a mental justification for GP 40s, with a preference for old second line power in neglected and rusty (so many shades of brown!) condition. My first post here, by the way.

1st pick Illinois Centrail
2nd pick C&NW
Luckly Chicago had plenty of RR that interchanged. I can run pretty much any big name RR and some local Lines and still look like the prototypes.

some other roads that I have locos for would be EJ&E,IHB,Chicago centrail,Nickle plate road,Wabash, B&O,BN,

My rule I follow is to just keep all my locos and rolling stock in the same eras.

Trent

If I may....

1.My first line is Chessie System

2.Secodary lines would be Western Maryland, Family Lines, and pretty much early CSX and the rest of its predecessors.

3.Yes, I do run them together frequently, although I try to keep matching power on trains....I model anywhere from the late 70's, to late 80's, so everything I run, (minus the stuff I have in unpatched WM scheme) would have been seen on trains newly aquired by CSX during that time frame (Late 80's) Very colorful consists during that era, lead to exciting line-ups and almost limitless possiblities!

-Rich

Back