Searching for an HO Reading G3

Espee, I envy your ability to grow a brass collection. Unfortunately, I've got two college tuition payments hanging over my head. Needless to say, brass engines become a tough sell (though my wife does support my train hobby). I'm only a DC guy, so if I could find a brass Reading G in the $150-200 range I might be in business, but if that Custom Brass Model is the only one that made it into this country 40 years ago and very few were made, I've probably got no shot.

Thanks for checking in Boris. I'm mostly just a steam guy, though I do have a nice Reading FP7 that I can use. But it's steam I seek, and really just the G class. Reading made 10 G3s and the entire G class was 55 engines, and you're right on where they mostly ran. I know there are some Crusader engines floating around but I just want the basic Gs. And while Camelbacks were a big part of the Reading, I'm not a fan. And since I basically need it to be RTR, I realize I'm pretty much just gonna be outta luck on this I guess.

Espee, I envy your ability to grow a brass collection. Unfortunately, I've got two college tuition payments hanging over my head. Needless to say, brass engines become a tough sell (though my wife does support my train hobby). I'm only a DC guy, so if I could find a brass Reading G in the $150-200 range I might be in business, but if that Custom Brass Model is the only one that made it into this country 40 years ago and very few were made, I've probably got no shot.
I hear ya! I did build a collection, but it took over 20 years, several second jobs, and a bunch of commission projects. (I used to custom paint for others, and that paid for a ton of it!) I also ran stand ins, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just shift your goals outward and keep your eyes open. You never know what you'll find.

Whats up. I also really like Reading G3, and the earlier ones. At least one G1 was eventually rebuilt to resemble G3. Several years ago there was a G3 brass for sale at the train show in Syracuse, i'v been kicking my self in the a.. for not getting it as the price was just right. I'm a Pennsy fan, but personaly in my eyes the G3 was the best looking american pacific ever built. I've been thinking about kitbashing a Mantua model into one, as i think it fits the best af all other. Maybe my next project.

Back