Sealing Weathering Powders....

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Many of us use weathering powders to weather our rolling stock and locomotives. The best known powders include Aim (Monroe) and Pan Pastels. Both are excellent mediums, but there is a slight difference between the two types of powders. Pan Pastels are more liquid than the drier Aim products. Both will "stick" to sides of your model(s) with a little brush pressure being applied.

All models need a coat of DullCote before applying either powders. But, how many modelers forego sealing the powder with a final spray of DullCote? Watching a weathering video the presenter did not apply the DullCote as a sealer, but left the models unsealed. He stressed that he did not handle the models once they on the layout. The models remained untouched unless he wore plastic gloves to avoid finger prints.

What is your preference when using weathering powders. Do you use a final seal coat or no coat?

Thank you.

Weathered SOO at Omro.jpg

A rust bucket caboose on a siding at the Omro Junk Yard.-Greg

I always seal mine ,the problem is to seal it without blowing the chalk off. I don't necessarily use a starter coat. The more layers you put on the more it will dull or round off the detail on the car. I usually just use regular artist pastels .

I dull coat ahead of applying weathering powders, but not afterwards. I use the AIM products as that's what my LHS sold and I am happy with the results. I found through experimentation that coating afterwards, tends to wash out some of the effects that I worked hard at achieving. I do not weather as heavily as your picture though. I rarely touch a car after it lands on the layout unless it needs maintenance.

I do not weather as heavily as your picture though. I rarely touch a car after it lands on the layout unless it needs maintenance.

This caboose in the photo is one of two SOO Line cabooses that I wanted as rust buckets and I have two GP38-2 that are equally weathered. These examples will be the extreme of my weathering and most cars will be light to moderate in their weathering. I'm learning that less is more when it comes to weathering.

My KD car collection will likely see only the trucks weathered and the cars a light coat of DullCote.

-Greg

Rock Island Con - One.jpg

As with most diesels every air vent and intake are black from exhaust and dirt.I'll paint them first with flat black before going into the weathering process.I will airbrush a little grimy black and earth to the model. Then dull coat. Then I add powers to areas that can't be hit by the airbrush and add enhancement of other areas. Yes dull coat lessens the power effect that's why I go a little heavier with them.
IMG_3845.jpg
IMG_3828.jpg
IMG_3826.jpg

I generally don't, because I don't handle my rolling stock that frequently. If I was making frequent trips to a club layout I would seal my weathering.

Hello. I use a variety of products from a variety of vendors (AK, Lifecolor, artist chalks etc). I do not seal anything I weather because I make small dioramas and don’t touch anything after it’s completed. 😁

When I paint I dull cote #1260 first. When I am done painting I dull cote again. Then I weather using oils and Pan pastels and I do not seal them. I also very seldom will touch a car after it’s on the layout.

TomO

I need to seal the weathering on my equipment because I belong to a modular railroad club. We set up at train shows, and every piece of equipment must be handled at least twice per show (unpacking, and packing back up). I'm hoping someone who does the same will post how they seal their equipment to make it safe for handling.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

I need to seal the weathering on my equipment because I belong to a modular railroad club. We set up at train shows, and every piece of equipment must be handled at least twice per show (unpacking, and packing back up). I'm hoping someone who does the same will post how they seal their equipment to make it safe for handling.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Tom Stockton
Yep same here, belong to a train club that travels. I dull coat to protect the weathering,but the important part in handling equipment is I wear latex rubber gloves to keep the oils from my hand off the cars and locos. No matter how much you keep your hands clean it happens.

Back