SD40-2s, BLI vs Kato

HaggisKennedy

Coal Shoveler
There was a thread over in the General Discussions area regarding this. I had my camera out over the weekend, and took a couple of quick shots.

The BLI one isn't the best, since it's a black loco. I have another one, but it's still in the box, and wasn't convenient to dig out.

:D

Kennedy

Kennedy, are the BLI fans see through? I'm thinking of getting a couple Blue Line BNSF units.

Josh I'd look at mine but their in storage:mad:
the side vents at the rear are open, thats where the speakers are.
Ken.

So the rear grills are open at least. One plus to the BLI for me (not to mention the fact that it has sound).

My BLI "want list" is up to:
BNSF SD40-2 both the H1 & the Cascade Green
FURX SD40-2
BN SD9 (future release, need to pre-order)
UP AC6000CW

Gonna do my pre-order of the SD9 through Factory Direct Trains, and at the same time pre-order their trackmobile.

I don't think they're see-through, though I couldn't really tell since it's a black locomotive. The Kato had more contrast, so it looked better. But, the BLI was black on black, so I can't really tell. My first guess was no, they weren't but unless I take the shell off, I can't say for sure.

Kennedy

Josh, Kennedy. I took a couple of dusty photos. The fans are visable but not right thru (smooth plastic on the inside)

Ken

Ahhh, so they're Kato style fans basicaly. Hummm, depressing. Guess I'll wait until the Athearn SD40-2 gets re-tooled.

I'm still gonna get the BLI SD9 though. It's got sound for less then a P2K SD9. Then I can retire my Athearn wide body SD9.

I don't own any BLI SD40-2's, but the ones I've seen have not impressed me. They looked like Kato shells with bad paint jobs. If you stripped and repainted it, it would look like a Kato. I'd pick Kato because I love the drive in them.
I'm sure the new Athearn RTR SD40-2's on the way will look far better than the Kato or BLI, if only the RTR drive was better... oh well, can't win I guess.

Each to their own!! I'm not a detail guy, so I'm not bothered about the paint.

The drive is actually not to bad and soon to be improved with the new decoder chips I have ordered.

Ken.

Under normal club layout viewing I can not tell a Kato,BLI or Athearn RTR SD40-2 apart without looking closer.Its when they move..The BLI has sound the other 2 does not.All 3 are smooth runners.At the other club I can't tell..The other club doesn't allow sound equipped locos-subject to change at the next business meeting due to DC/Sound gaining popularity.

Hummm, I can see the difference between Athearn & Kato BNSF SD40-2's because they used different tones of Orange, but otherwise, I like them both. I really would like to pick up one BLI at least.

Josh,Under most clubs lighting conditions(florescent lights hanging from the ceiling) I find its usually hard to see the color difference.

Cool,thanks Brakie, I haven't thought of comparing them under my newer florescent light. This shot was taken in day light, though the camera used had auto flash so the flash still went off.

Kato Left, Athearn Hex drive, right. Not that the paint color matters much to me anyways, they all change in normal ops on the prototype.

My big peeve was to find out about the fans. For the price they could have at least included see through fans. But at $119 for a blue line, its not bad.

Certainly not trying to start a fight here...only my honest opinion...

I haven't ever owned either a Kato SD40 or a Blueline SD40, but I have seen them both and as much as I wanted one of those sweet B&O BLI SD40's, I was sadly disappointed by the lack of details on the BLI unit. My favorite hobby store just got one in and the paint job was comparable to some "bluebox" kits!!! First I thought maybe it was just that particular one, but then some of the other bad things were lack of fuel tank detail, the windshields had the wipers molded in, the MU hoses were there (one up on Athearn) but I was again alittle disappointed. On the other hand, the sounds were absolutely un-matched and the unit actually moved very smoothly along the test track. Now I don't know too much about the Kato SD40's, but one with sound is crazy expensive, and in all actuality, I'd rather buy 2 locos without. Please don't misinterpret anything I said, and I just wanted to let everyone know what I thought. So the bottom line, if you want pretty SD40 with nice details, sharp paint, and details that (I'd guess) runs pretty good, go with the Kato, but if you want a decent loco with AWESOME sound but decent details..i.e: painted handrails, plastic grabirons, crew members, and your favorite railroad, then spend about 10 dollars more and buy the BLI unit. And unless you're a rivet counter (which you have every right to be when making purchases over $100) then you will probably fall in love with the BLI!
...Again, just my honest opinion....

-Rich

My favorite hobby store just got one in and the paint job was comparable to some "bluebox" kits!!!

-Rich

That's why you get undec units.;) I'm waiting for my undec Blueline AC6000CW to arrive here shortly. They are supposed to ship after 6/30. I'll have pictures when I get it.

-Smoke

Yes, I stand corrected...you can get an undecorated unit and "do-it-yourself" which is what I prefer. I think I could do better than the one I saw, and I'd hae fun doing it. That sound...on a loco so cheap...you really can't beat it! I may end up getting one someday, I was just pointing out some things I saw. BTW: Didn't they already release a AC6000? Or is that Tower 55?

-Rich

Smoke~

Hey I was looking through some of my old copies of Diesel Era on the SD70s and came accross a photo of a High Nose GP30 (in a string of GP38-2s) in the Southern scheme...have you ever seen this before???? It was pretty cool. In fact I actually never seen a pic of a High Nose GP30 before. Purty cool!

ISSUE #5 SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER : VOLUME 16 - YEAR 2005
EMD's SW7 - Part 3
Motive Power of the Lake Superior & Ishpeming
Southern's GP38-2 Fleet - Part 1
Western Pacific SW1500s
EMD SD70M-2 Walk Around

Back