Sd40-2 projects

Torsion

Greetings, a few weeks ago I found these two SD40-2s on Ebay. A factory CN #5930 and MRL #250. Someone had changed the number of the MRL to #254, and it's paint quality was some what questionable. After some research I realized that there was only one true MRL SD40-2. Number 250. So I attempted to remove the paint from this unit and repaint myself. Most of the finish came off with isopropyl alcohol, but not in all the tight crevices. so I got fed up trying and bought another undecorated shell. In the mean time I detailed the CN unit with MU hoses, snow plow, AC, antenna, non dynamic br, horn, bell, celcon handrails which I painted in CN fashion. I also plan on detailing the MRL unit in the same manner. I just got finished with the decals and final coat of gloss on the MRL #250. Its painted with Model Masters Gloss Black and Blue Angel Blue. I may leave it glossy as I think it looks good, and many photos I've seen of these MRL diesels have a clean glossy finish.

Attachments

• CN 5930 #1.jpg
    CN 5930 #1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 146
  • CN 5930 #2.jpg
    CN 5930 #2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 139
  • MRL #1.jpg
    MRL #1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 147
  • MRL 250 #2.jpg
    MRL 250 #2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 151
Looking good. You've done a nice job on those. A suggestion on the MRL: If you'd like it to look clean and somewhat fresh but not "just rolled out of the paint shop 30 seconds ago", you might try using a semi-gloss clear coat. It's what I've settled on with my N-scale stuff, and it gives a little bit of sheen without looking like the paint is still almost wet.

Back