Screws, what type of Screws do you like?

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
I'm sitting here assembling an Athearn Boxcar, and I've noticed something.

I prefer Phillips head screws! It seems like I have a tougher time screwing in straight head screws. The screw driver always slips out.

Is it just me?

No it is not you. I have the scars from the screw driver slipping. I work as an electrcian and years ago all of the switches and plug's only used flat head. If you worked with a cordless drill then you tore up your fingers.

I have found tho some of the screws now are so soft that they strip easy or you break off the head.

There are better--hex and star, but commercially I don't know why they even make slots.

Slots can be okay if you have exactly the right screwdriver and go slow. Not good for speed work.

I deal with screws all day... and it's not just the customers.:D

I work in a hardware store and seen, almost, every screw out there. With most of them I can just look at it for a split second and tell you what it is, even down to the thread pitch. Metric and standard. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can do this, there's plenty of machinist out there in the world.
But, it always seems to impress the normal, run of the mill customer. They haven't even given me the screw from there fingers and I'm practically running off to get a replacement or the nut for it.

But, back to the subject...
Just today I was looking for a screw for a customer and he was hemmin' and hawin' about the old slotted head screws, that they're an obsolete product. I have to agree, in most cases. Except when machining other slotted heads on a nice piece of furniture.

I've also notice that the Hillman Fastener Co. (our supplier for most of our stuff) is switching there assorted bins over to more and more phillips.

Just my 2 cents.

One way to reduce the chances of stripping Phillips screws is to bring a typical screw with you to the hardware store and actually "try" it on the drivers before buying. I did this and found that the shape of the driver's tip was slightly different from driver to driver, even good quality ones. Find the one that fits your test screw the tightest with no movement - that's the one that will transmit the maximum torque to the screw.

Mark

I use to refinish furniture in my younger day and aloy of slot head screws were used to assemble them. Well if you ever try to put a slot head screw back into some hard maple or oak you will say a few choice words when your done !!!!!!!

It's Called A Split Screwdriver ( I Think, Got It From Micro Mart ). They Have Two Sizes, Small And One A Little Larger. Also Have A Tool With A Split Blade And The Other End Is For A Phillips, But These Are For Large Screws. Can't Work Wihtout Them. Hope I Helped. Bayouman

I noticed noone mentioned the good ole Canadian Robertson screws. Still probably the best screw on the market. They have a square head that will break off before you could ever strip it. They are used here for most electrical hardware, deck screws, ect. Always my choice for tough applications.

I simply use a flat head screw driver now inside the phillips screw.
You will most generally not have any strip issue of the head this way.

I do prefer the phillips head however.

I noticed noone mentioned the good ole Canadian Robertson screws. Still probably the best screw on the market. They have a square head that will break off before you could ever strip it. They are used here for most electrical hardware, deck screws, ect. Always my choice for tough applications.

I use some of the robbie bits and have striped out the head or broken it off.
I dont think there is a screw out there that cant be messed up some how in a given day. It comes down to how good the tip is and if you are useing a screw gun set at the right torque.

Back