Scratch building Question

conrail92

OK i got two question here.

1. Ok welll im low on money and there not much too do on my layout until i get money so ive been bored. but recently i came across a good bit of modeling wood And is in great shape. And it was FREe!!! So i decided to scratch build a building for HO scale so how do u convert real measurments Into ho scale? Is the question.

2. And my second question is does anyone now the measurement specs for the Alto Tower in altoona PA. Ive been searching the internet but cant find much on it. So if anyone can help me on this it would be greatly apreciated

HO scale is 1:87.1 scale. Lots of ways to caluclate it, but let's keep it simple ;)

Divide your real-life measurement by 87.1. For instance, if you have a 10 foot high wall in real life, and you want to know how many inches tall it is in HO, calculate the height of the real wall in inches (10 ft * 12 = 120 inches), and then divide by 87.1 to get the height in inches for HO scale (120 inches / 87.1 = 1.378 inches).

Your 10 foot high wall would be 1.378 inches high in HO scale. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thnx. Now about the alto tower ive manage to find a company that makes the model. But its expensive and not as funs as building your. Well anyway the model is 6x4x6 but that doesnt help alot cause its only about and im not sure what the mean by 6 in. like 6 inches out too the chimney or 6 inches out too the last wall. But i guess its a start. Once again if anyone has any info it would help. Because i realy cant go down there with a pencil paper and a measuring tape and start measuring the thing. It might look a littel suspicious :p

Not sure on the exact scaling, for say a printer/photocopy, but HO is 1/87.1 to Real life, I.E 1" = 87.1" in HO. 3.5MM= 1' is the most common and easy measurement, so, if your building is 10'x10' then in scaled to HO it'll be 35MM.

6x4x6 would be 6" wide, 4" long, 6" tall...

Of note the mesurments on scale buildings CAN be rounded up a little sometimes, so it my only be, say 5.65" tall...

Last edited by a moderator:
ya thats what im worying about soo i was hoping maybe buy chance someone out there has the measurments. Its unlikely but i thought i would try.

Thnx It give me the length and width. of the model witch is a large start all i realy need it hietgh and i can kinda fudge the bays.

Back