Scratch building an icing platform

Raincoat2

I have an HO scale ice house that I got from another member of this forum. I need an icing platform to complete the scene. Tichy Train Group sells an 18-inch icing platform but it's pricey. Before I spend that money, I'd like to see about scratch-building my own platform. But I've never scratch-built anything before. Anyone tried building an icing platform and have any advice? Anyone know of any instructions or schematic diagram for one? I've looked at the Walthers and Tichy platform photos and could more or less imitate their construction. Just trying to see if there are any ideas out there before I jump into this.

Johnny: Check out this platform, it may do the trick for you.

http://www.bgtrainworld.com/storefront/shop/item.aspx?itemid=341

Good Luck on your project.

Greg

Greg - The Walther's kit includes the ice house and platform. Chet had the Walther's kit but didn't need the ice house, so he sent it to me just for the price of postage. So I've got an ice house but no platform. Don't want to buy the Walther's kit 'cause that would give me second ice house, and I don't need that. I'm going to try scratch building a platform that more or less looks like the Walther's platform in the photo you attached. Shouldn't be too hard - mostly just a catwalk, cross-bracing, roof (optional) and stairs. I will buy the supplies - was just wondering if anyone out there had built one and could offer any advice. Otherwise I'll just get the supplies and see what comes out!! Thanks for the help.

The April 1987 Railroad Model Craftsman has the plans for scratchbuilding both an ice house and platform. If you'd like, PM me your email address and I can send you a pdf of the article.

Johnny,

That doesn't look too hard to scratch build as you mentioned. Any thoughts about what materials you will use, wood, styrene etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use either wood or styrene, whichever makes you feel most comfortable. You can use balsa or basswood, basswood is better, balsa is often easier to get and may be cheaper.

Draw up the framework to support the dock. Then make a jig to mark the positions of the framework members. Then just build multiple frames. Add the longitudinal bracing to attach the frames together and finally put the decking on the frame. If Can be individual pieces or scribed wood or plastic sheet. Paint/stain/weather as you like.

Dave - thanks for that information. Kevin sent me the plans for scratchbuilding the platform and that will be helpful. I'll use wood, probably balsa.

I have a Suncoast Models icing platform kit if you are interested. Yours for $30 plus postage.

I have a Suncoast Models icing platform kit if you are interested. Yours for $30 plus postage.

rlundy - Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to try my hand at a scratch build, especially since I have those plans that Kevin sent.

Johnny - If you're going to scratch build one out of wood, I would suggest using bass wood. Balsa is quite soft. I usually keep a decent supply of basswood strips and sheeting on hand just for scratch building projects.

Johnny - If you're going to scratch build one out of wood, I would suggest using bass wood. Balsa is quite soft. I usually keep a decent supply of basswood strips and sheeting on hand just for scratch building projects.

Chet - thanks for that tip. Not having scratch-built anything yet, I need all the advice I can get.

Bass wood is better if you want to paint the model. If you are going to stain it, the balsa looks much better if you want the weathered look. The balsa has a looser grain, which shows up much better when stained than bass wood. As far as softness goes, you can get balsa in hard grades as well. When you go to buy it, just lightly pinch the end with your nail. Hard balsa will be much harder to compress and doesn't take stain as good as soft balsa. I use mostly soft balsa for my models, but keep a large stock of bass wood as well. Have you built wood models before, Johnny? Just asking because it is different than plastic models. A Nothwest Shortline Chopper will be really handy for this job. Lots of repetitive cuts to make.

You guys have tons of hints and suggestions. This is great. Thanks rlundy, Chet, Greg, Andy, Kevin, and anyone I may have missed. Whenever i get this built I'll post a photo.

If you don't already have one in your toolkit, I would highly recommend getting a North West Short Line "Chopper". It makes making repeated cuts of the same size a breeze.

Back