Scratch Build Progress Update I

conrail92

Ok well as you may or may not remember about 3-4 months ago i was questioning a few things about scratch building well 3-4 months later i made some progress on my first every scratch built item i ever made in my life :) so i feel this is a large acomplishment. Now im scratch building the NS alto tower in in Altoona Pa. Its being built in HO scale.

Now what i accomplished so far doesnt seem like much but its almost 40% done ! ITs the Front And Rear wall. Whats left too do is make the right and left wall. And the roof and then paint and detail, the part im most worried about is the roof not sure how i am going about that. Note i only put a couple days of progress into it because i go back too it off in on.

What im Building
Aai031.jpg

What mine looks like.

Front and Back
Update001-1.jpg

Update002-1.jpg

Update003-1.jpg

Update004-1.jpg

Now its not much but be patient and keep in mind this is my first ever scratch build.

Give me your comments and thoughts.

Conrail92

I think you would find that you would have much better success it you built it out of sheet styrene. There are many types of sheet styrene and they would have scale siding that is much closer to the original building. This is an extremely complicated structure to build on your first attempt. I would suggest building simpler structures and then working your way up to building such a signature structure as this one. I've built many little sheds and garages from sheet styrene, because they are simple buildings.

Bill

This is an extremely complicated structure to build on your first attempt. I would suggest building simpler structures and then working your way up to building such a signature structure as this one. I've built many little sheds and garages from sheet styrene, because they are simple buildings.

*It looks as if you've put a considerable amount of effort into the project thus far, but I have to agree with Bill.

There are lots of books on building with styrene.

Like this one here:

bookcovershado1.jpg

Here's a link: http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Book.htm

Just my .02 :D

Mike

* I'm not an accomplished modeler, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

Nice work! And taking on that project has to be a challange for a first timmer. But ya gotta start somewhere! We have to build the same building for our club but we will probably kitbash it. We have one on there now that's close but no wee-o. Is that match sticks or just balsa wood? I have to agree with the styrene building tho, but to each his own. Your still gonna be able to say "I built that from scratch!" On the roof I suggest cardstock, you can buy it imprinted with shingles and is easy to work with or styrene and cover with shingle tape or make your own. But great work, keep us posted!

I've never really built anything out of wood, other than using wood for some bridge parts. It seems like styrene would be easier to cut. Bob brings up a good point on kit-bashing. It may be possible to start with a kit that gets you, say, 50% of the way toward completion and then kit-bashing the remainder is not so tough.

Bill

never thought of styrene, are any special tools needed to use it?

Also is it Very strong?

The book I posted a link to can answer all of your questions and then some...
Guess I'll have to get myself a copy too! :p

Description
This is a Basic and Advanced Tips and Techniques for Styrene Modeling Book by Evergreen Scale Models.
Facts
This book is the first comprehensive manual on modeling with this highly versatile material. First, you'll find hundreds of tips and techniques on how to assemble and improve plastic kits. Plus, Styrene Modeling includes detailed, how-to-do-it modeling advice from more than a dozen accomplished craftsmen who have built every conceivable type of styrene replica. It's a handbook no modeler should be without.
Features
88 pages full of photos and good advice.
Tips for tools, adhesives, scratchbuilding, kitbashing, conversions, detailing, airbrushing, decals, weathering, and more.
Explains how to build, paint, and finish realistic styrene models. models.
Includes
One Basic and Advanced Tips and Techniques for Syrene Modeling Book.

I might Haft to get that, Any chance Barnes and Noble Might sell it, i know they sale kalmbach books, Do they sale this one cause i have a gift card for there ;)

never thought of styrene, are any special tools needed to use it?

Also is it Very strong?

Its as stong as a kit if built properly, and if you add interior such as walls/floor its even stonger.
Depending on the thickness it doesn't take much for tools, a Hot knife helps allot but isn't nessesary. thin sheets cut well with a sharp X-acto knife or small saws/dremils. I even use my table top band saw at times. A well stocked hobby shop/craft store has all you need...and allot of hobby shops have the exact doors/windows/details to save allot of time. And the thing about kitbashing,"save all the spare leftovers or another time".

Conrail, Last year I found an old AHM barn kit which was missing it's back wall. I picked up a piece of Evergreen styrene and traced the front wall onto the styrene and cut it out with a X-acto kinfe. this was my first attempt at kitbashing a wall and you know it didn't turn out half bad.

Back