Scenery help, guides & layout dusting!

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Could anyone refer me to good scenery guides or resources to learn from? I want to start learning for the sake of my club. I'm a former wargamer, so I'm not new to doing scenery stuff but I am long out of practice.

My club is at a point of re-imagining itself, kind of. Some events have transpired which have brought out new ideas. Among these are a boosted presence "out there", but our layout is very old and needs a facelift, I think. As well as cleaning! How do I dust a scenicked layout without destroying the scenery? I have an idea to use air dusters and box fans with attached furnace air filters, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track.

IMG_20200220_195525773_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I use my own breath and a long-bristled camel hair artist's brush. Some things are better actually washed, run under some warm water for a second, while some can withstand being spritzed with water. For an example of the latter, all of your non-structure/artefact scenery....the terrain, the ground foam and grasses, the trees, even fences and hedgerows....the tracks if need be....they can all be spritzed and allowed to dry. Rolling stock, under warm water, or use the camel hair. Buildings, if you'd rather not handle them and would rather leave them in place, the brush and blow on what lifts....or suck.

"... box fans with attached furnace air filters, ..."
This will not work very well.

Rig up compressed air and vacuum hose as a single tool.
The compressed air makes the dust airborne and the vac sucks it up. Rig it to hang from the ceiling when in use.

Willie. Great idea I’ll have to try that with my wife’s pantyhose not mine 😆

I use a large soft Makeup brush to dust off the buildings and vehicles make sure it’s new and not one that’s been used or your layout will have Rouge on it

Removing the dust is a real problem even if you vaccum it there will still be some left . Its electrostaticly glued .

The real solution is in prevention , either by covering up or pulling air through a filter constantly . Usually what happens is while not in use the environmental ( AC/Furnace) systems are shut down but the dust keeps falling. At least with the AC running your removing some dust from the environment . I would at least make sure I had a good paper filter on the AC and not one of those fiber fill jobs.

If the dust is coming from outside , You may have to try putting positive air pressure on the building.

Back