Scenery and Backdrops

HONewbie

Greetings all,

I needed a new hobby so I thought I’d build a model railroad. My dad built a very simple one 45 years ago but I didn’t take much interest in it at the time. I guess this must be an old guy’s hobby to really appreciate the craft and craftsmanship that can go into it.

I’m building it in the corner of my basement and would like to put a backdrop or two behind it. Does anyone know of a good source or such things, maybe photos of cities and mountains? I’ve looked around the net and haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for. Please let me know where a good place to look is.

Thanks for your help!

http://www.backdropwarehouse.com/indexbdwh.htm

Also, I believe, not sure, that both Woodland Scenics and Walthers (maybe selling them for others) have items of that kind for sale.

If you have a digital camera of decent quality with maybe five times zoom and over 7 mp, and it has a panorama stitching function, use that to get your own. Print them out on a printer, seamlessly stitch them on foamboard or foamcore board, and place them behind your benchwork early...not after your tracks and scenery are in place.

If you take your own pics and make a diaroma, bring it to a sign shop and have them print it on vinyl.
Here's one I did a few years ago.
IMG_0213.png

BackdropShortened2.png

Backdroponbench.png

BerkFront.png

Y6B4.png

M1aCrossingHDR.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back