SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Mixy,

For a little while now I have been getting this error message when using SCARM:

TONY-PC-2014-dec-7-004_zps36232cd2.jpg

It turns up randomly, but generally after I have deleted or removed a section of track. SCARM completely freezes and I am unable to do anything other to close SCARM down, loosing everything I have done to that point.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

Hi Tony,

Please, send me the layout file where that error appears to
mail.gif
. It will be difficult to catch it if it appears on a random basis, but if you see that it appears always on some particular part of the layout, write about that in the mail. Also, tell me what is your Windows version, CPU and RAM and if it appears in one particular file or with any file.

Mixy

IMPORTANT!

Several bugs were discovered in SCARM 0.9.26 related to the renaming of the layers and then save and restore of the already changed layer names. The patched version of the program was released today.
Please upgrade to SCARM 0.9.27, which can be downloaded from www.scarm.info to fix these problems.

See more about this bugfix update in the following blog post: SCARM v. 0.9.27 Released.

I am sorry if these bugs caused any problems and inconvenience in your work with SCARM. If you see another problems, please report them here or in SCARM Blog and I will try to fix them ASAP.

Mixy

3D Rendering Problem

Hi Mixy,
I just started using SCARM and am running 0.9.27. So far I like it very much. I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring Flex Track out, but I'm getting there. My problem is with rendering my layout design in 3D. I have laid out the track heights correctly (I think), and have added in tunnels and bridges, but when I render the image in 3D, everything comes out flat (see the images below). Am I doing something wrong? Did I forget to select some setting somewhere? I read earlier in this thread that it should set heights automatically with bridges and tunnels. Is that still the case? I can't seem to make it do that ever with a simple track
Track12d.jpgTrack13D1.jpgTrack13D2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello KB02,

If you set your heights on tracks, it is possible that you marked them in inches, but SCARM to be set to work in millimeters (which is default). See the current measuring unit in the top left corner of the drawing plot.

Mixy

Thanks. That was it. It was actually IN millimeters, and I was setting track heights thinking it was inches. 3 inches vs 3 mm is a big difference.

Here I want to present the first very detailed virtual locomotive models in SCARM, created by Ian Donohoe and shown in the SCARM blog here:

Detailed 3D Models of US Diesel Locomotives in SCARM

Below are two of them:

SCARM_EMD_GP9-SP_diesel_locomotive_1.jpg

SCARM_EMD_G30-ATSF_diesel_locomotive_1.jpg

These are created with the object's interface of SCARM and are auto-scalable to the used tracks scale and gauge.

SCARM_All_GP9_Diesl_Locos_different_scales.jpg

Download the loco library from the blog's post and use these nice models in your virtual SCARM layouts :)

Mixy

And something special for N-scalers: I've managed to make the complete KATO N Unitrack library for SCARM with all bridges and viaducts :)

As the new version of the program is not yet finished, you can download the updated KATO library from here:

Updated KATO N Unitrack Library for SCARM

See some of the straight bridge and viaduct sections in 3D below:

SCARM-KATO-N-Unitrack-bridges_viaducts.jpg

Try it and let me know if everything with the KATO bridges and viaducts is OK :)

Mixy

The new inclusions look great Mixy.

You know the one thing that I would like to see in the program though ... the ability to use the Tape Measure Tool and to be able to include a measurement on the design. For example, if you want your track work to be 4" from the edge of the layout, the ability to measure that 4" and be able to mark it on the plan.

Another great thing to add to the program (and this may have been suggested already and I haven't seen it) would be the ability to select two start/end points and have the computer connect them with flex track automatically. Instead of having to bend the track around manually and hope you find that right spot to make the connection and then have the mouse move just enough at the last half-second and miss and have the flex bend off in some other direction, it would be nice to take some of the guess work out of it.

Other than that, the more I use the program, the more I like it.

Track 2.jpg

Hello KB02,

Nice looking layout :)

Yes, that was suggested before. A feature for auto creating of the route between two points with flex or sectional tracks will probably appear in some of the next versions of SCARM.

Mixy

Having fun with SCARM

Hi,
Great tool. I started trying to use Visio... OK for concepts and rough drawing, but no templates for turnouts, crossovers, etc. I tried Xtrkcad too, but found SCARM much easier to work with. My layout is a 6x12 duck-under with two staging extensions. I've also downloaded some files for locomotives, rolling stock, and 18 wheeler trucks. Lots of fun. I was able to 'ungroup' boxcars and the trucks. Once I did that, I was able to change the colors. I also made a couple of short trucks.
Thanks for making this tool available and for all of the work enhancing the features.
Dougget

Attachments

• 2015b.jpg
    2015b.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 216
Better yet.... You can get trains and trucks too. I also created a couple of different types of oil storage tanks.
The basic trucks came from the SCARM site. Then I tweaked them a bit and created a flatbed. Also used the 'ungroup' function to change the colors.

Go to the SCARM site and look for the "Information, Tutorials, and Resources" section. From there, you will see a "Tutorials & Examples" section. Once you are there, you can download various SCARM files and just copy and paste from those files to your layout.

Doug

Attachments

• Experiments1.jpg
    Experiments1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 2015c.jpg
    2015c.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 285
Fantastic!...I never thought to look for this kind of stuff. I can't wait to play with it to see what I come up with.

John

Just downloaded scram to a flash drive at a freinds house. got it home put it on my computer and it worked with what i have played around with. Two questions first do you have tutorial. on yo tube. and can it be put in inchehs and feet .

Back