SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Mixy

Author of SCARM
Hello dear friends,

I want to introduce my freeware layout design program, called SCARM, which you can download and test from http://www.scarm.info/index_en.html. It has lightweight and intuitive user interface, 3D view, more than 25 track-system libraries and many other cool functions and features.
I will appreciate any comments concerning SCARM here or by email – scarm at scarm dot info.

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

I seen a sample screen on another site that is in milimeters. Does it also have an inches scale?

Yes. Select Tools > Settings from the menu and then Dimensions tab. Now you can select inches as default measurement unit.

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

New version 0.7.0 of SCARM

Hello again :)

The new version 0.7.0 of SCARM is released.

The most important new features are Print and Print preview mode for WYSIWYG layout printouts.

Try it and say if you like it :)

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

SCARM 0.8.0 is ready

Hello again,

The new version 0.8.0 of SCARM is ready :)

Most important new features are standalone installer, support for turntables and baseboard editing. There are also many corrected and updated libraries, due to some errors like doubled track names, doubled item numbers and some new parts. If you are using a turntable that is missing from SCARM library files, let me know and I will add it in the next update.

Mixy

Hi Mixy,

I thoroughly recommend SCARM. I have began using it as my program of choice for designing a future layout. Out of all the current "free" programs available, this one is perfect for me.

I really like the 3D option. A great feature.

Thanks for putting in the hard yards and providing a free program for everyone to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just start'd use'n Scarm and I really like it.
I do, however, have a problem.
The flex track is 30", is there any way to shorten it to a custom length?

I just start'd use'n Scarm and I really like it.
I do, however, have a problem.
The flex track is 30", is there any way to shorten it to a custom length?

Yes, just click with right mouse button to cut it, when needed.

Mixy

Mixy;

Downloaded and installed your latest version. Very disappointed that your libraries consisted only of commercially available components, none of which I use. Other programs similar to this one have a listing for NMRA components for those of us who prefer to hand build their own track and turnouts.

For example, for my personal favorite, XtrkCad, the NMRA file for each scale consists of turnout profiles from #4 all the way to #10's and has the capacity to let you "design" and use your own turnout profiles. That's the entire file, just turnout profiles.

IIRC, this type of file is also available in Cadrail and 3rd Plan-it.

Hello Cjcrescent,

SCARM is still under development and for now it has no interface controls to assist user to create its own turnouts, but this is possible by editing the library files or by create new libraries. The libraries are simple text files that can be opened and edited with Notepad. There is special sample library with descriptions of all parameters that can be downloaded from http://www.scarm.info/temp/BTTB-TT.lib. Using it as template, you can create your own tracks and turnouts in SCARM.

Regards,

Mixy

Hello again,

SCARM update 0.8.4 released. Added 3D supports management, which will allow creation of realistic-looking helixes and viaducts in 3D viewing mode, like those below:

helix-A.jpg

helix-B.jpg

Now SCARM is able to work with 58 different track systems. Try it :)

Mixy

Congratulations on another great update, Mixy. More great features added as SCARM evolves through the input of users out there.

Thank you, Stephen :)

Opinions of the forum members are very important and valuable for me. This is the way, together, to make SCARM better ;)

Mixy

Mixy

Loaded SCRAM to try it out. Works for me, although I don't intend to use it for significant project, just for mucking around, but well done.

Comments on usability/things you could put in (although I haven't read the instructions, so I may be missing things):
- I like the flex track capability, but it can be a challange some times!
- I did have trouble "lining up" tracks, both with each other and with the "grid". In other words, when is the track parallel (to edge of the board or to other tracks or to the grid)?
- As the "start point" can be set to any direction, it is hard to work out if it is turned around 180 degrees (not 178 or 173...).
- Multiple baseboards....?
- Ability to put basic shapes and words on the drawing (for example draw a box and label it "depot")
- Ability to have "off page" connectors... ie if you have multiple levels the view becomes messy when they pile on top of each other.

Anyway, well done.

Hello Ross and thank you for your comments :)

SCARM is still under development and I am continuously improving it and adding new features.

Next update will add mouse position to the status bar and this will help for measuring and aligning of the tracks. Flex-tracks will also be improved in some of the next versions, because now tolerances when connecting are very small. Now I am working over shapes and custom 3D objects and this will allow using of platforms, signals, buildings and other like these in SCARM. About start point direction – you can set any direction with step of 0.1 degree – just move mouse far from the point while directing and this will get bigger degree precision. Also, I will consider adding of some layers or automatic layering, depending of tracks heights.

Thank you again for trying SCARM.

Regards,

Mixy

Thinking about using SCARM, but was wondering if it can handle tinplate track, crossovers and switches, such as Lionel O gauge and American Flyer S gauge.

Lionel O scale library is already implemented in SCARM. About American Flyer S – I will search for track geometry resources in Internet. Ifyou know some, post the links here :)

Mixy

Back