Scaling up the Inglenook

ScrewySqrl

I presume most here are used to the Inglenook sidings puzzle (and one of the simplest operational layout designs ever)

A small, 3-track yard with 5-3-3 storage capacity plus a yard lead that holds 3 cars and a switching locomotive, a randomized 5 car train is built from 8 cars on the track (meaning the yard is 73% full. Considered over capacity by prototype standards, but its still workable, just requires extra shifting moves - more fun for me!). Sometimes scaled down to 3-2-2 and 2+loco with 5 cars. What I'm wondering is, can this puzzle be scaled *UP* and still be workable?

what should be the arrangement for 7, 8, or even 10 cars?
I'm sure the long yard length should be the length of the train to be assmbled, but is there a formula for the size of the other two spurs? or shoudl you just aim to have any sized yard about 75% full?

I've read that, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I have a small layout right now:
OR4AhWI.gif

I use the inglenook there to randomize my operations and increase operational variety. I build a random consist, and as each car is picked, I also randomly select a destination (with industries generic enough to take every kind of car).

I want to scale this up with a larger layout, where I have 8 or 10 industries to serve.

Back