Scale Trains vs. Rapido

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Just looking for Forum members' experiences with both Scale Train and Rapido locomotives. What do you like or dislike about your model locomotive(s) and do you reccommend them?

I have a Scale trains MILW locomotive on order and I'm think about a Rapido locomotive as well. I have a Rapido RDC car and it is an excellent model and I hope their locomotives follow in quality.

You experiences and opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

I think both vendors are doing an outstanding job of recreating the rolling stock and locomotives, both in detail as well as their smooth operation. The ESU decoders is the best choice they could go with.
Definitely not kiddie toys.

I agree with Ken, definitely not for the kids.

I had a ST Museum Turbine and a couple of the Rivet Counters ones. They were stunning and operated flawlessly but my 32” turns worked but didn’t look great. They were the easiest locomotives I ever sold. The Sd40-2’s made my Kato look like crap as the ST ones were so right on with the details.

I have run a few Rapidos at a opt session but have never owned one. The details were maybe too much but operations were again flawless and the owner claims all he does when he gets a new loco is cleans and lubes.

I have never had an issue with Athearn either the BB’s, the RTR or Genesis but IMO both Rapido and ST are better in details, sound and drive train.

TomO

Evening all. I have looked at both Rapido and Scale Trains, but I don't own any. The reason,they cost to much,and they don't produce enough of them so that when someone can finally afford them,they are out of stock,or out of production. They are great locomotives,just way to expensive. William.

Both vendors do a nice job. Yes they are expensive. I own a pair of Rapido RS-11's and a pair of Scale Trains Tunnel Motors. I've had good service out of both. You can pick nits on any model, none of them are perfect, but they are close enough!. I have the Rapido SW-1200 and the PA's on preorder. There isn't much Scale Trains in my future as their offerings are mostly too new for me, but their stuff is top notch. We'll see what happens now that they have MTH's tooling. Maybe they'll do more that interests me. One thing I would recommend. If you're a sound guy, bite the bullet and get the factory sound units. Putting in sound later can be done, I did it with my Tunnel motors, but you're going to break things. These models are soooo detailed it's not hard to mangle something getting the shells off. . With Scale Trains, I'd go for the Rivet Counter over the operator if your wallet will take the abuse. The sound decoder is very stripped down, and the super detail kits don't come with much in the way of instructions. Overall, they are both as good as or better than Athearn Genesis models, and I like Athearn Genesis (I own a ton of those!). My $.02

Evening all. I have looked at both Rapido and Scale Trains, but I don't own any. The reason,they cost to much,and they don't produce enough of them so that when someone can finally afford them,they are out of stock,or out of production. They are great locomotives,just way to expensive. William.
Couldn’t agree more.👍

I only have Scaletrains engines. The rivet counter models are not at all expensive in my opinion. About on par with Kato, P2K and Genesis engines from 15-20 years ago. Disclaimer: I only purchase non-sound DC versions. I have never owned a Rapido so I cannot comment on them. The ST ones run superbly and are very well detailed. Assembly is occasionally hit or miss as I have had parts fall off. They are more detailed than the previously mentioned Kato, P2K or Genisis models. I don't own any Atlas or other brands to compare them to. I have been reading that the Rapido units are at least as good.
Regarding William's comment about availability, They deal mainly with pre-orders (no money down) and only import a few extras. They have a very small dealer network, less than two dozen I think, so availability is extremely limited. It's best to pre-order them if you want one. You can always cancel later on if finances or interests dictate.

Thanks for all tour wisdom and input.

The Milwaukee Road Diesel is a SPL-39 and the Scale Trains product details says it with do a 18" radius. I have one tight curve on my mainline that the Athearn, Atlas and KATO six axles do operate fine when running over it. An Athearn at first had some derailing issues and then ran fine after after some wheel adjustments.

In your operations with Scale Trains and RAPIDO locomotives how did the six axle locomotives do on 18" radius curves?

Thanks again.

Greg

Last edited:
I should add that I don't currently own either brand, but if a deal comes up I might go for the Rapido GMD1 as a friend loves his.

The 'standard' curve small radius for HO is still 18". While everyone says they have wider curves, or wish they could, the fact is that the industry standard is still 18" curves. Accordingly, unless expressed on the box and in the advertisements and accompanying literature that the model requires wider curves, you can anticipate that your model will operate well because it was designed for 18" curves.

From there, it's entirely aesthetics or the nature of the model.

Thanks Selector....I have one curve that without measuring the raduis, I would guess it's maybe a tighter 20 inch rather than a 18 inches radius. All my other locomotives operate well on that curve so I hope that a Scale Trains or Rapido, if they say will operate on a 18" radius.

Where this drop in the radius, no one even thinks about it since it's in a bunch of track-work.

Thanks.

Back