"Scale Tinplate" Christmas

Just in case any of y'all thought post 116 shows the bad side of that rusty Marx gon, here's a look at the other side...

Attachments

• 7789RstyGon2.jpg
    7789RstyGon2.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:
Fabulous! Here's a case where worse is better. ;) I'd challenge any modeler to produce a "weathering" job like that.

Fabulous! it is indeed. Too bad there wern't some metal cars in HO, leave them out all winter here might do it, toss a little salt around it might work :)
I'd challenge any modeler to produce a "weathering" job like that.
Hmm sounds like a challenge for Mello Mike :D

Cheers Willis

On the other hand, the C+D motive department has nothing against pristine equipment, especially when it's brand new!

Besides, I'm a pushover for tiger stripes. :eek:

This American Models Burlington Northern (soon to be BNSF) SD60 was, like the BNSF SD60M in post #5, brand new when first pixelated. This one has the older style cab, yet it represents one of our most recent additions intended to bring the C+D System into...well, the very late 20th, if not the 21st century.

That station agent doesn't seem to mind the cold much...

Attachments

• 7799BNSD60.jpg
    7799BNSD60.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 363
Another Lionel Baby Ruth Boxcar...

This double door boxcar is the first such bit of S-sized 0 gauge Lionel plastic converted to S for the C+D. The straightforward conversion was done in the late '80s, and I remember the feeling of "going out on a limb" as I coughed up the $10 for it. "Sure hope this works!" I mused. But back then such risks were necessary to get any variety into our fleet beyond the least collectible Gilbert AF stuff. The prices of more desirable Gilbert pieces were in a steep climb, and we got into the hobby just in time to see them head for the sky. As for Lionel, their forays into S gauge at that time consisted of nothing more than reissuing overpriced versions of the same half-dozen Gilbert freightcars and passenger sets. Not worth the money to us. (We were really pinching pennies back then, and hadn't yet discovered American Models.)

The TTOS member who sold this piece to us was a little surprised upon learning what would be done with it. I think he assumed we were dropping S gauge for 0.

Yeah, like THAT's gonna happen! :p

Attachments

• 7797LnlBbyRuthBox1.jpg
    7797LnlBbyRuthBox1.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Shipments of critical industrial equipment sometimes pass through Tinplate Corners on their way over the mountains. This generator is a typical example. Unfortunately, after the incident with the old Baby Ruth boxcar, the "operatives" from that local science fiction movie club had a bit of trouble coming down from all the excitement. (They don't get out all that much. Well, not if the T.C.P.D. can help it.)

With nothing else to do, they took it upon themselves to "guard" the generator on its way, claiming it to be some type of "planetary force field generator". (People in town are really beginning to wonder about these "enthusiasts".) The station agent is trying to tell them that the load generates nothing but plain old electricity. Maybe they'll figure it out when the power plant security people toss them off the flatcar.

The New Marx flatcar is another "formerly 0 gauge" piece...

Attachments

• 7801GenGard1.jpg
    7801GenGard1.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
Attack of the Giant Killer Lobster Claw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd been warned about these. Several S scaler (as opposed to hirailer or tinplater) guys had tried to educate me about the disadvantages of "lobster claw" couplers. They told me scale couplers - whether Kadee, AM, Sargent, SHS or whatever - were superior in every way, more sophisticated, more refined, etc. etc. Even for layouts with huge rails and tight curves, scale couplers were the coupling of choice.

But nobody ever told me this could happen!

Those "operatives" from that science fiction movie club, who so graciously gave of their time to check out that suspicious-looking boxcar, and guard that precious generator on its way, have been attacked, ATTACKED, by a vicious, uncaring, evil (so I now know) hirail knuckle coupler!!!

While the others were consuming hot beverages and biscottis inside this Marx caboose, "Luke #2" (not "Luke #1" in the storm trooper outfit) was merrily enjoying the view from the caboose's rear platform, hoping to get a last look at the station as the train pulled out. Apparently he was accustomed to the motion of only passenger trains, because, as the engineer pulled out the slack, Luke #2 was unprepared for the abrupt movement of the caboose, and fell off. (Why are there no railings on this caboose? Can you say "lawsuit" Mr. Marx?)

Not missing a beat, the rear coupler SNAPPED mercilessly around the hapless ejectee. If the engineer had not remembered to check for his tea mug (he had left it at the station) he would not have stopped right away, and would have dragged Luke #2 along the rubber ties, his head bouncing along like Rocky Balboa's punching bag. It would have been humiliating. It might even have left a mark.

The others heard Luke #2's screams, and immediately came to the rescue. Extraction proved to be difficult. The bright beams of their "energy weapons", while visually entertaining, proved ineffective against the mysterious synthetic material of which the nasty mechanism is formed. (Strange, but they actually seemed surprised by this.) In the end, the victim was loosed from the stubborn device by ramming it with a link coupler-equipped boxcar. Unfortunately, this had an effect on the victim which C-3P0 described as "rather negative." Pix were not taken of the extraction itself. Such explicit images would not be allowed here anyway, and for good reason.

All of this could have been avoided. If the issues raised had been about practical matters such as safety, instead of superficialities like appearance, "scale accuracy", and such, I might have listened to the warnings. But nooOOOoooo! All anyone could talk about was how dumb these couplers look, how awkward and toy-like they are, NOT ONE MENTION OF THEIR LOUSY ATTITUDE!!!!!

Now I'm wondering what to expect from "pie cutter" wheel flanges. Is there no end to the uncertainty?!?

I gotta sue somebody. Lucasfilm, to start with.

Attachments

• 7804CuplrIncidnt1.jpg
    7804CuplrIncidnt1.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 467
The suspense is killing me, what happened to the guy in the Killer Lobster Claw! Did they get him out or What?
Cheers Willis

Luke #2 is convalescing. The other club members have decided to stay in town until he's released. I think they're a bit wary of freight trains anymore, so they'll be taking a conventional passenger train when they leave town, probably one with scale couplers.

Just to keep the thread from drying out while we're waiting, here's a look at the very first American Flyer layout in my experience ca. 1955, with the CEO (yours truly) exploiting a photo op...

Attachments

• ChuckWrld2c.jpg
    ChuckWrld2c.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 384
Let me be clear that the train set shown above was my first American Flyer set, but not the first train I ever... operated.

After completing one year in the outside world, the train shown below appeared.

Whoever put the consist together, it wasn't me. They've got a covered hopper between the loco and the tender!:eek:

Attachments

• ChuckFirstBday3a.jpg
    ChuckFirstBday3a.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 383
Hmmm! someone looks more interested in his rubber ducky than his train :D
Bet Cha! Kadee would be jealous of them couplers Chuck, what make was the train? must have been before the Fisher Price toys.
Cheers Willis

Willis, I have no idea who made that train. I barely remember the train itself, and that only after seeing that pic.

I wish I still had it. I could bolt AF trucks to it for use on the modular layout, thereby incorporating a fourth coupler type into our system!;)

The train looks like it could have been a predecessor, or perhaps the inspiration, to Brio. I've spent a LOT of hours playing with those with my granddaughters!

Still working on taking up-to-date pix!:eek:

In the meantime, with your indulgence, one last image from the distant past, Christmas 1953.

What I think was my very first train of any kind...
... turns out to be a monorail!

Attachments

• 1sttrain1a.jpg
    1sttrain1a.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 378
Let's take one last, distant look at "The Years of the Beetle" as "The Year of the Tuner" draws near...

Attachments

• 0620ChrLayout2k3-4.jpg
    0620ChrLayout2k3-4.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 373
one last, distant look at "The Years of the Beetle" as "The Year of the Tuner" draws near...
Hi Chuck, as I look out the window, and there's some flurries, I guess it's that time of year again. Fantastic last look photo, sad to see the end of the Beetle but were looking forward to "The Year of the Tuner".
Bring them on! :D

Willis

Ahem.

Well, it's taking a bit longer to get to pixelating than it should. Things often don't go as one hopes. The layout is still up though, so the plan is still in place, even if the timetable has been obliterated.

Anyway, there was time for this snapshot of our family fuzzball, Ike, the Genius, who seems to find toy train watching to be quite relaxing. Hypnotic, even...

Chee-WAH-wah. Seems like the minute I plan something railroad-ish, some other issue jumps in the way.:eek:

I finally got a few up-to-date pix of Tinplate Corners. Had to get a few rushed shots before taking down the whole thing in prep for a house guest. The living room will become a bedroom/lounge for a few months.

Hopefully, the layout will be reset around November or so.

Meanwhile, here's an overall shot from "The Years of the Tuner". The town council voted to devote two years to tuners, due to "certain circumstances" that... well, just because. More pix will be added as editing continues...

Attachments

• 16982K5-6XmasLayouta.jpg
    16982K5-6XmasLayouta.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 379
The first spot we hit for pixelation was the traditional "across from the station" location. We've taken many a loco portrait here, and new equipment is always noticed.

Like this American Models Fairbanks-Morse Trainmaster...

Attachments

• 1707SPTMXing1.jpg
    1707SPTMXing1.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 376

Back