SC-44 Chargers & Amtrak Heritage Unit #184

Who will be the first to announce an RTR model of the SC-44.

Kato in N?

Kato or Atlas in HO? Maybe Horizon/Athearn but that would mean 2 or more years for it to arrive on these shores.

3 D print versions will probably be coming soon but the chassis and trucks will be a problem

And then there is the "flare" at the rear end for California units to tie into double deck coaches. New coaches for CalTrans from Siemens.

New Siemens Engines 4-25-17 01.jpgNew Siemens Engines 4-25-17 02.jpg

Sound, DCC and DC and DR (dead rail) versions? The large X grill on the side would be a good place for large speakers on both sides. But the units are supposed to be quiet.

Ken Adams

Last edited by a moderator:
Walthers will probably do them eventually, they seem to be the main HO passenger provider. Brass may beat them to it.

Other Suppliers of modern Passenger Power

Walthers will probably do them eventually, they seem to be the main HO passenger provider. Brass may beat them to it.
While I wouldn't discount Walthers Proto 2000 line completely, I think Rapido, Atlas and even Athearn/Horizon which also provide modern Passenger equipment would get in the game ahead of Walthers. Rapido probably not as these are not likely to be seen north of the border in Canada. Atlas has just done the NJT electric/diesel commute locomotives that are near to their New Jersey haunts and are the same vintage as the SC-44. Athearn has done the Caltrain EMD's before.

Brass importers are not as flexible and quick on the uptake these days. Asian wage increases resulting in stratospheric prices are making their products a smaller and smaller market.

If an enterprising Euro manufacturer who already makes a Siemens outline similar locomotive wanted to enter the game via Walthers or Horizon distribution it could upend the game.

I would be in the market for shelf candy only as my current real interest in modeling US railroads ends in September 1954. It's just I have been seeing them in the Oakland Amtrak yard every time I am there and like their clean Euro style appearance. And the large grill openings on the sides would be ideal for speakers in sound equipped models.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Back