Saving the Lionel AFT4449

enjineerbill

Avid People Watcher
I'm convinced that the only reason that the Lionel AFT sets hold any value is for purely collectable reasons. That proved true when I aquired one of the steamers in a set while gathering cars for my project. My first thought was to throw it out, but after a couple JD's, I came to my senses and decided to 'save' the beast. After all, it is Christmas time, and I couldn't bear the thought of this engine ending up on the island of Mis-Fit toys.

So when I got it it was in BAD shape; motor frozen and fried, wheels all srewed-up, parts missing and broken, CAKED with mud and dirt and who knows what else.........Looked like this;

AFT4449_justreceived_2.png

So after tearing it completely down, I did some of the following(with more to go); Cleaned and touched up the shells of engine and tender, removed the motor, re-quartered the drivers making it a freewheeling 'dummy' that will be powered by homeroad back-up units tucked in behind her, Painted her drivers, and other wheelrims white as per proto, fixed missing and broken parts and today she looks a little different;

4449_1.png

4449_5.png

A little more to go, but having fun along the way.......

Johnn

Thanks guys, It's been another great learning process as well. I've never tore into a steam engine before but it seemed I had nothing to lose with this one. I will say handling riveted northern drivers has it's moments.....and some pretty colorful language......but all in all it went smooth. When the new HO model is released, it will take it's place in my train but for now this one makes for a fun photo shoot!!!

Johnny

Back