Saskatchewan! cars have arrived from PWRS

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
Hello all,

I just received my order of 13 North American Railcar "Saskatchewan!" covered hoppers from Pacific Western Rail Systems. I know there has been a lot of speculation, rumor and negative attitudes towards PWRS, so I have decided to take some pictures of the cars for your inspection.

The cars are VERY high quality, resembling Intermountain cars in both heft and feel. They come equipped with Kadee 58 couplers and semi-scale wheels. The lettering is crisp and the paint application superb.

I'll let you be the judge...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with the cars. They will be test-run on Friday and I'll let you know how they tackle steep mountain grades and sharp curves.

Very nice looking cars indeed. I wonder how long it will be before the taggers cover them with graffiti? :(

Are those N or HO? I really don't like the "Equipped with Micro Trains trucks and couplers" line on whats supposed to be a prototype car.

Are those N or HO? I really don't like the "Equipped with Micro Trains trucks and couplers" line on whats supposed to be a prototype car.
Why not? They are on the prototype!

Quoted from Atlas "As for the "trucks and couplers lettering", we DID place some special lettering and decos on one prototype car: because of the special relationship between the Saskatchewan Grain Car Corporation (or SGCC -- the owner of these cars) and PWRS, we were able to decorate one car -- SKNX #397199 -- with additional lettering recognizing the partnership between our two organizations AND recognizing Kadee and Micro-Trains. On one side of the car, lettering was added reading "THIS CAR EQUIPPED WITH KADEE #58 COUPLERS" and on the other side "THIS CAR EQUIPPED WITH MICRO TRAINS TRUCKS & COUPLERS". (Of course, this was done with the permission of Kadee, Micro-Trains and the SGCC.) If you'd like to see the full story behind this car, we invite you to go to www.pacific-western-rail.com/announcements/view.php?ID=1527 and click on the link "NARCorp's 25th Saskatchewan Grain Car is born". A model of this car was produced with this release and is available to those customers who purchase 12 or more cars -- and is free to customers purchasing all 24 road numbers."

all on personal preference...

I want to make some decals in the form of the "Radio Equipped" signs they used to have that say "DCC Equipped" to keep my equipment straight...

These cars are very nice... I'd buy them in a hurry if I have the needs and means!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? They are on the prototype!

Quoted from Atlas "As for the "trucks and couplers lettering", we DID place some special lettering and decos on one prototype car: because of the special relationship between the Saskatchewan Grain Car Corporation (or SGCC -- the owner of these cars) and PWRS, we were able to decorate one car -- SKNX #397199 -- with additional lettering recognizing the partnership between our two organizations AND recognizing Kadee and Micro-Trains. On one side of the car, lettering was added reading "THIS CAR EQUIPPED WITH KADEE #58 COUPLERS" and on the other side "THIS CAR EQUIPPED WITH MICRO TRAINS TRUCKS & COUPLERS". (Of course, this was done with the permission of Kadee, Micro-Trains and the SGCC.) If you'd like to see the full story behind this car, we invite you to go to www.pacific-western-rail.com/announcements/view.php?ID=1527 and click on the link "NARCorp's 25th Saskatchewan Grain Car is born". A model of this car was produced with this release and is available to those customers who purchase 12 or more cars -- and is free to customers purchasing all 24 road numbers."
Thanks! I did not know that. I'll stop complaining now.

Some of the guys at the club have been complaining that they can't keep these cars on the tracks because of the small wheel flanges. Anyone else having the same problem. Apparently switching out the wheels won't help either, as the new wheels wont fit in the trucks.

Some of the guys at the club have been complaining that they can't keep these cars on the tracks because of the small wheel flanges. Anyone else having the same problem. Apparently switching out the wheels won't help either, as the new wheels wont fit in the trucks.

Yes, I test ran them yesterday and what a nightmare! The wheel treads are even narrower than a semi-scale wheel. The cars would often "fall between the rails" at various points on the layout, and forget about going through frogs of turnouts...

The cars were incredibly poor performers due to their very narrow wheel flanges which, as I mentioned, seem to be even narrower than the semi-scale wheels that used to come with Athearn Genesis cars.

I tried switching a car out with standard Intermountain wheels yesterday, but there was too much friction and the wheel would hardly roll. I used my "reamer" tool to solve that problem, but now I'm at the point where I have 13 cars to retrofit; I'd rather see if PWRS has any plans to release a standard tread wheelset before I go and ream 26 of their trucks. That being said, the narrow flange wheel that came with this car is very low friction; it will just roll and roll forever, besting even a standard Intermountain wheel that has been inserted into the reamed truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is something I posted on the Atlas forum:

OPERATING REPORT

Last night I had the opportunity to run these PWRS Saskatchewan grain cars in a unit grain train with Intermountain cylindrical hoppers. I must regrettably admit that I was very upset and disappointed with the way these cars performed on the layout. First, a disclaimer: the layout is not my own, it is the work of my friend Don Meeker who is an NMRA master model railroader - his trackwork is flawless, and I've never had any problems with derailments while running on his beautiful mountain-themed layout. Even the old Athearn Genesis cars with semi-scale wheels have no problems negotiating the layout's trackwork.

The PWRS Saskatchewan cars, to put it bluntly, were an operational nightmare. (Just to remind everyone I am not a default "PWRS Hater", I remind you that I am the one who created this post proclaiming the cars' beauty and attention to detail). However, that's where the quality of these cars end: the cars were equipped with "narrower than semi-scale wheels" (traditional semi-scales, as I've stated, posed no problems on the layout on which they were test run), but the PWRS wheels are even *thinner* than the semi-scale wheels that come with Athearn Genesis cars, for example.

At every curve, and every turnout, the Saskatchewan cars would be derailing while the Intermountain cars solidly stayed on the track. On sections of track that we checked multiple times with an NMRA guage, the wheels on the car would simply "fall between" the rails and derail... the wheel treads on the Saskatchewan cars are simply too narrow to expect reliable operation; they are even narrower than traditional semi-scale wheels that you can buy from Intermountain or that came with the Athearn Genesis cars. I'm all for prototypical accuracy, but when it comes to wheel treads, there is a balancing act between meeting prototype standards and achieving reliable operation on an HO scale layout.

While everyone was astonished with how beautiful my string of 13 Saskatchewan cars looked, their positive impressions of the PWRS cars were quickly diminished by non-stop derailments. I was looking forward to showing these cars off, but I quickly became embarrassed with how poorly they tracked.

Last night, after a night of frustration and disappointment, I decided to insert a standard tread Intermountain wheel into the truck of a PWRS car. I thought it would roll just as freely, being how similar these cars are to Intermountain in the first place. Well, I was wrong... the standard Intermountain wheel had so much friction inside of the truck, it would barely roll. To get the standard Intermountain wheel to free-roll within the PWRS truck, I had to use my "reamer" tool to provide extra clearance for the axle. Even after reaming the truck, the Intermountain wheel was still not as free-rolling as the PWRS wheels which I'm sure were designed specifically for that truck. The picture below illustrates three wheelsets: an Athearn Genesis "semi scale" wheel, the wheel that came with the PWRS cars, and a standard tread-width Intermountain wheel inserted into the PWRS truck. As the picture shows, the treads on the PWRS wheel are even *narrower* than the treads on your typical semi-scale wheel (itself which was known to cause derailment issues on many layouts... can you imagine an even narrower tread wheel?)

wheels.jpg

The wheelsets that come with the PWRS cars are simply unacceptable and prevent the reliable operation of these cars. These are beautiful, well-crafted cars, no doubt about it... however, the wheels they come with are utterly useless and mar the entire project ,taking the wind out of what could have been one of the most exciting product releases of the year. I am very upset that PWRS would allow these cars to be released with wheelsets even narrower than traditional semi-scale wheels; they should have anticipated the operational problems they would have caused.

SO, before I go ahead and ream 25 more trucks, I would like to find out what PWRS' intentions are on providing us with a standard-tread wheelset so that we can actually OPERATE these cars, as opposed to letting them collect dust on a shelf. For now, my PWRS cars will sit in their box and never see operational time again - they simply won't operate without derailing all the time! Sadly, this will also likely be the last product I buy from PWRS unless they provide us with a standard-tread wheel to use. I have invested a significant amount of money into these 13 cars, and to say that I am disappointed with them right now is an understatement. It's a shame, too, since I was holding out so much hope for PWRS. They had so much promise as a manufacturer...

I have three of these cars, and agree, they look fantastic. I'm going to have to run them to see if I have any issues now... But since I'm not a fan of the intermountain trucks either, it doesn't really effect my choice between the two manufacturers anyway. I have not had issues with the Athearn Genesis semi-scale wheels, and feel they are the best out there. I plan to replace all my IMRC trucks with Genesis in the future. I guess I'll be adding the NARC cars to that list. Unfortunate for a car in that price range!

I hope NARC and PWRS will address this issue.

BTW NARC stands for North American Railcar Corporation, the company name that Pacific Western in producing these cars under.

Congrats on getting the 13th car, I couldn't afford to buy 12 cars! Besides one SKNX car would have looked odd with my SKPX cars. It makes a cool addition and a conversation piece, as Josh demonstrated!

Makes me wonder if PWRS ever did a test run of their product before they released it. Based on what I've read on the various forums, everyone with these cars is having the same derailment problems so it can't be bad trackwork on every layout they run on. If I had laid down the big bucks for 12 of these cars, PWRS would be getting a steaming phone call from me Monday morning. You certainly shouldn't have to be replacing wheels and reaming out trucks for the price you paid for those models. The PWRS wheels in your photo sure look nice but who cares if you can't keep the cars on the track? :mad:

Thanks for posting all this. Have you talked to the manufacture about it?
Hope you can fix this easily.

I have a box full of spare metal wheelsets, trucks and couplers. When I encounter a problem like yours I change either (a) wheels (b) trucks (c) both.:)

However if I had to publicly complain about the junk Atlas, Athearn and Walthers manufacture and sell at high price I would spend most of my days on the internet:mad::cool:. Thank god for Rapido, TLT, Sylvan and all who pick up the slack and are reaping the $$$ benefit.

Having said that, if I can't get a fix via their customer service I simply vote with my $$$ wallet. Since I got fed up with the innacurate fantasy paint job and grossly innacurate details and useless junk turnouts I have boycott all altas product. :p I also "cleaned" my layout of all Walthers and Atlas rolling stock either by giving them away to low-income modellers or in the garbage :D

My personal experience with customer service for Rapido, NCE, MRC has been second to none, and they keep getting my business.

Sorry for the rants.

Your cars look awesome and I hope you get a quick fix soon.

Cheers

Those look like code 64 P:87 wheels which = DISASTER on any non-P:87 layout. I'm betting they're set to RP25 contour and width standards as well, Vs. P:87. Wonder what compelled them to use them, Vs Semi-scale wheels?

I spoke to them today and they told me they are aware of the operational problems with the P:87 wheels, and will be offering replacement "standard" tread wheels in about 6 months time. The wheels were manufactured specifically for the truck, and I've never seen a more free-rolling wheel/truck combo. The car will roll forever... At a standstill, you can slightly blow on the car and it will move about 10 feet along a straight and level track.

...Assuming the car doesn't derail before it gets that 10 feet. :) There's really no excuse for this kind of screwup and six months is a long time to wait for what should have been on the car to begin with. It will be a long time before PWRS gets any of my money.

...Assuming the car doesn't derail before it gets that 10 feet. :) There's really no excuse for this kind of screwup and six months is a long time to wait for what should have been on the car to begin with. It will be a long time before PWRS gets any of my money.
Agree'd, and I was about to order them anyways. Heck, you never know I might still order one, since I can swap for Branchline code 88 wheels.

Once again, I am soooooo glad I cancelled my pre-order for these after waiting months and months for delivery AFTER the announced availability date had come and gone. No more pre-orders for me; I've gotten off of everybody's lists for pre-order announcements, too. Anyway, so often I find that I can get something I want, after they're delivered, from eBay, etc., often below the pre-order price.

trully a disappointment. you should ask if them if they'll reimburse you if you buy new wheels for the cars instead of waiting 6 months.

Back