San Luis and Rio Grande -- A new Hope

taholmes

Well, Ive been busy with the track planning software, hope to start building soon, Here is the current version -- I could sure use some critiques

SLRG 5 - 5-11-2020.jpg

Thanks
TIM

Last edited:
Did you post the same picture twice, or am I missing something?

I like the design, but have some questions:
- What is the pink section about? (or was that just to highlight a certain area?) Looks like the rails overlap, or is that a curved turn out?
- How will you access the hidden staging yard?
- What scale?
- Minimum radius curves?
- Anything else in the room that blocks the middle of the room? Looks ;ole you have more room to play with if you want.

Hi KB02

No, I accidently posted the same pic twice -- some forums give me FITS!!!

The pick section designates a reversing loop which will be handled with a DCC reverser
The hidden staging yard will be covered by a removable mountain (of one design or another)
This is in N scale -- the bedroom is 10 x 10
Minimum radius is 13 inches with a few small sections down to 11 inches
This room is also my bedroom -- I'll be sleeping under the lower arm of the layout, and I have to have room to move around and get dressed etc

Tim

if it were me and i was going to living in the same space , I would compress this as much as possible , you have a lot of dead space that isnt being used . If it were me I would make all my bench work where it was only 6" to 12" wide , move the passenger terminal against the wall and bring the hidden out next to the aisle for access. you just make a scenery hatch that you can flip up to get access to the hidden.

I think you could more space efficient with this and give yourself more living area without sacrificing operation.

As an operational note , you only have one run around , so any switching will have to use the passenger terminal. That means to run around a car you'll have to drag it to the passenger terminal . Also most industries are off passing sidings , in order not to foul the mainline while there being switched.

just some things to think about.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I am looking for the ability to do continuous running, that is the reason for the larger size in some areas

TIM

Hi KB02

No, I accidently posted the same pic twice -- some forums give me FITS!!!

Sorry about that! We've designed this one to be real simple and easy to use. You can even use cut and paste to put your images in.

Sometimes, if you're on a slow connection, and/or the images are large, they'll take a moment or two to appear. That's what usually causes double images, the first one is still uploading, you don't see it and think "It didn't work, I'll try again". Then a moment later, you have two. ;)

Let me know if you have any problems or need help with anything, we try our best to make the forum work for everyone!

Sorry about that! We've designed this one to be real simple and easy to use. You can even use cut and paste to put your images in.

Sometimes, if you're on a slow connection, and/or the images are large, they'll take a moment or two to appear. That's what usually causes double images, the first one is still uploading, you don't see it and think "It didn't work, I'll try again". Then a moment later, you have two. ;)

Let me know if you have any problems or need help with anything, we try our best to make the forum work for everyone!
HI Bob:

I think Ive got it sorted out now -- it was more of a short between the headsets on my end than anything -- I was able to edit the post and remove the second image

This is a great board and I appreciate all the work you guys put in to making it run
TIM

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I am looking for the ability to do continuous running, that is the reason for the larger size in some areas

TIM
You also need to think about how your going to support the benchwork , those turnaround loops will almost certainly have to have legs to the floor or cables to the ceiling , usually the maximum practicable cantilever is somewhere around 18'' - 24 ", to get cantilevers out beyond 24" you need substantial support braces or even steel support.

Hi GeeTee:

The benchwork will be open grid made of 3/4 plywood on max 16 inch centers -- there will be legs dropping to the floor with leveling bolts to adjust things with. Subroadbed will be 1/2 inch plywood, with open spots filled with foam, or possibly cut out and dropped -- not sure yet -- then either woodland scenics trackbed or cork for the roadbed

TIM

Heres the basic benchwork plan for the layout -- I dont have the legs shown, but they will generally be in the corners . There are doubled cross members which are where the individual units will be spliced together (simply to make it easier to get in the door)

I have access to a 10 inch radial arm saw with a 24 inch draw, so ripping out the parts from 3/4 ply will be easy, as will notching pieces were necessary where they cross (Dad's got a good dado set)

Everything will be glued (waterproof glue) and stapled using an air stapler with appropriate sized staples

Tim
SLRG 5 Benchwork - 5-12-2020.jpg

HI Guys: Been busy updating stuff, and putting in industries and and terrain. The terrain is kinda rough b/c my planning software doesnt handle terrain well at all. As always, comments and critiques are very welcome -- some have sent pictures that they have of the area and the San Luis and Rio Grande -- more are always welcome. TO those who have been helping THANK YOU -- I Needed it badly

5-13-2020 Track plan with Structures and notations -- No hidden track.jpg

5-13-2020 Track plan showing Hidden staging with Terrain and structures.jpg

FIrst image shows the exposed mountain track along the back of the layout, the second image shows the hidden staging etc (yes, the yard ladders are horribly ugly, still trying to figure out how to make them right!

Thanks again for all the help and have a great day
TIM

I'm finding the thread quite interesting, although, I am as inexperienced as a newborn.
It's my understanding you need 4' to elevate roughly 1" of terrain for 2% grade. I know you have +3% grade, but, how high is that 2nd level?
This is simply a curious question, so I can learn myself. I'm not understanding how modelers are achieving required height in short distances.

Hi McLeod -- that second level is 2.5 inches above the railhead below -- I will likely use 1/8 masonite (tempered hardboard) to make sure I have sufficient clearance below

TIM

Good Evening everyone

Several people have suggested that the Hidden staging yard on my plan might be a place for problems to bite me, and someone (or maybe more than one someone) suggested moving it to the front of the line and making it an open yard, so I pulled out the track planning software, and got busy again tonight -- the result is below -- As always, I could really use comments and critiques and please help me spot holes in the plan

Thanks
SLRG 6-5.jpg

TIM

You can make the scenery removable over the hidden track to avert disaster.
Also if you still want to go with an upper level by keeping it in front of the hidden track it will require less grade, as will lowering the hidden track slightly.
And I like the plan, once you get the main track down and do some running you’ll make revisions, it’s inevitable. ;)

Back