Rusting rolling stock

Shamus

There have been many ways to Simulate rust on models, perhaps the best I have found to date (IMHO) is the use of “Patina Rust” this is a two bottle mix, you paint on from one bottle where you would like the rust to be, wait until the next day and use the second bottle and paint over those parts again. Hey presto, instant rust. -- http://www.modernoptions.com/ -- Here is an excerpt from the website

Patina Green and Rust Antiquing Kits
Everything you need to create either a true copper finish and authentic green verdigris patina, or an iron metallic finish and a beautiful, real rust surface. Each kit covers approximately 8 square feet, and contains:
4 oz of Copper or Iron Metallic Surfacer
4 oz of Patina Green or Rust Antiquing Solution
4 oz of Primer and Clear Sealer
2 bristle brushes, 2 foam brushes, latex gloves and utility cups

Here are a couple of units I did a few years back, One very old and none working 2-6-0 and a tank car.

Shamus

So that stuff does work? I saw it a few months back when trying to find that start-up rust-all type product, that mind you I never did find! I was going to test a few varios rusting liquids, including that, and rustall, and a few other brands, and some "instant weathering" type things.

Back