Rusted old grain elevator in a rural scene with stock yard.

GarryCBQ

This is my scratch built grain elevator. I began by sketching my own design on paper. I need it to fit in a small area in the background. Two sides of it can not be seen from the aisle of the layout, and therefore have no windows and doors. The other sides have windows and doors from my scrap box. I ussd Evergreen plastic siding. The Co-Op decals were from a Walthers kit.

35966994554_5429a6d3da_b.jpg

Below are pictures on the work table before and after weathering with Aim weathering powders.

35948019594_b2df1dcaf2_b.jpg

35966986974_8473737e77_b.jpg

I also scrtchbuilt a shed which is to the right of the grain elevator in the next picture.

49695137701_3a643a0b01_k.jpg

Below are several more photos so you can see how it fits into my rural scene. There is a stock yard in the scene. The stock yard was made from two Walthers kits, a Suydam metal office building, a Campbell shed, and other items. .

48266286236_5512fe6cea_k.jpg

36854181770_9ab398dace_k.jpg

36755104966_97642788ae_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work as usual Garry. Reminds me of a simple one I built when the layout started for my son. It was from a design in Toy Train magazine. I cut it from heavy card stock and covered it with a chrome looking crape paper and weathered it. thirty plus years later it still tucked away on the current layout.

I have made corrugated sheet by rubbing heavy duty aluminum foil on an old computer ribbon cable. It works great but is a little tricky to work with.

Nice building Gary but don't you think it needs a few spotted grain cars. Back when I worked the Chatham switcher our train was made up of mostly grain cars. Each town on the route had very similar structures as pictured in your photos. They all had some kind of rope pulley system to spotting the cars after we left. We did spot a few box cars filled with grain sacks I guess to be sold separately. I love the cow pens. One other thing I remember is there were a lot of ducks not flying south in the winter but feeding on the spelled grain in the unloading from beneath the cars.
George

Last edited:
Nice building Gary but don't you think it needs a few spotted grain cars. Back when I worked the Chatham switcher our train was made up of mostly grain cars. Each town on the route had very similar structures as pictured in your photos. They all had some kind of rope pulley system to spotting the cars after we left. We did spot a few box cars filled with grain sacks I guess to be sold separately. I love the cow pens. One other thing I remember is there were a lot of ducks not flying south in the winter but feeding on the spelled grain in the unloading from beneath the cars.
George
Boxcars hauled grain through the 1950’s.

I know they did Gary but at least the one's with silo type structures on our route got mostly grain cars and the one's without got boxcars. I know Utter Bros in Pawling, NY got boxcars no grain cars. There was a stock pen with cow pickup every Thursday. They sold grain by the sacks but further north most of the farm outlets had some kind of grain drop. I don't know if they bagged it later or sold it by bulk? Maybe it was cheaper in bulk? I do love your stock pens. We did model the one in Pawling, NY.

stok_pen_pawling_ny.jpg

Back