Rust Techniques

my_quickie_diorama.jpg

This shot demonstrates a couple of techniques I've used successfully to produce realistic rust. The first is the roof and power generator, which were treated with Instant Rust by Sophisticated Finishes. The second is Dr. Ben's Realistic Rust, which was used on the 50 gallon drums.

Instant Rust is a 2-part process. The first application is of a dark gray gooey "paint", that delivers real metal particles to the surface you intend to rust. It can be thinned but I found the effect was more pronounced when it was applied full strength. The second application is the "antiquing solution", which is a chemical that reacts with the metal particles to produce rust. Of course, it isn't as "instant" as you are led to believe. It does take several hours for the chemical reaction to start producing rust, and this reaction lasts several hours, or as long as it takes for the solution to dry.

Dr. Ben's Realistic Rust is probably the best of the 1-step products I've tried that produce a rusty effect. In the case of the drums, all I did was roll them around in the bottom of the jar (where the solids collect), and then pulled them out and let them dry. The solution must include some kind of binding agent, because it doesn't just flow off like so many of the other rust products. It also seems to be pretty durable - an alcohol/ink solution applied over it did no damage.

Same two pack product under a different name, i like it because as it ages it get's darker and older looking.
the gondola got a severe dose after a light spray of flat black to dull the red PRR paint scheme
the covered hopper to the right had the bottom edges ect painted with the instant rust

PC150059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Scott, that roof is a real masterpiece!

On my steel mill layout, I have a few large structures with piping that is supposed to appear rusty from heat damage, I've never quite been able to get them looking "right". That InstantRust may be just what I've been needing; does your LHS carry that stuff? If so, got a link?

I agree with Scott, that roof is a real masterpiece!

On my steel mill layout, I have a few large structures with piping that is supposed to appear rusty from heat damage, I've never quite been able to get them looking "right". That InstantRust may be just what I've been needing; does your LHS carry that stuff? If so, got a link?

Like Josh said Ken. Here in Wisconsin we get it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It's a little more pricey than other methods, but well worth the little bit extra!!

Johnny

Like Josh said Ken. Here in Wisconsin we get it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It's a little more pricey than other methods, but well worth the little bit extra!!
Thanks, Johnny & Josh! I'll swing by my LMS (Local Michaels Store) and look for it there.

Frank It's just got Modern Options instant rust on the bottle, both plastic bottles are 4" x 1" so you don't get a lot. i got it from a local Do-it all store that closed down about two-three years ago

Ken The art stores the best bet like josh say's, but the dodgy antique dealers also use it to make stuff look old, maybe an antiqe store could point you in the right direction if the art store's can't help

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank It's just got Modern Options instant rust on the bottle, both plastic bottles are 4" x 1" so you don't get a lot. i got it from a local Do-it all store that closed down about two-three years ago

That's what it's called here, as well. I don't know where the "Sophisticated Finishes" comes in, but that could be the name of the manufacturer, and Modern Options, it's line of similar products... :confused:

Back