Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was putting titles on some pictures and found I have some pictures of installing the turpentine mill.
Picture 1 shows the mill glued to the screwed down base with sculptimold built up to a ground level. The hammer is being dual purposed as a weight.
Picture 2 shows the same mill area with scenery and you cannot tell it is on a base.
Picture 3 is the mill with detail parts and figures. From this angle, you can barely make out the figure beside the ladder.

Willie is an inspiration to us all.

Attachments

• 8.21 25.JPG
    8.21 25.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 8.31 2.JPG
    8.31 2.JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 2021 turp mill.jpg
    2021 turp mill.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 75
Well...

The weight data is way off for this car type (AAR 50'), one ACI decal got way crooked and kind of peeled..
IMG_20210921_0001250662.jpgIMG_20210921_0001390442.jpg
but I think for my first ever self-completed HO scale car this turned out pretty good. Good enough to roll and not stand out like a sore thumb, anyway. Now I just need to decide if I want to go for using Soo Parts fancy wheel chocks on the tractor load ($5 for parts to chock two tractors, $10 total for this car) or keep it dirt cheap and just make chocks out of craft sticks and thread...

SooPartsChocks.jpg

Morning all,

I'm in a bit earlier today myself. Glad Sherril kicked the door in so I don't get blamed. I'll take a coffee and a western omelet with hash browns and toast. Just sounded good this morning.

Terry: Sorry to hear things taking a turn for the family. You will remain in our prayers.

Well, no coffee at the office again today. They got the break room torn down and are supposed to start the new cabinets today. I did manage to get them to save a 8' high x 36" wide cabinet intact. It's sitting in my garage at home. I just now need to figure out where to put it. It was too good of a cabinet to just let get tossed.

Currently partly cloudy, sprinkles and 58° headed for 76° later today. Supposed to be 50° tomorrow morning.

Greetings all,

Still lurking, just been busy. Lots of evening meetings lately.

RR:

1. Still working out the 16 VDC and 12 VDC busses under the yard in my head. I thought I had in hand a good power supply for the Kadee electromagnet uncouplers, but no. Ordered one from Bezos, who was kind enough to deliver it yesterday.

2. Since the uncouplers need pushbutton momentary 'on' switches, that got me to thinking about the control panel for the yard. I want both actual pushbutton/toggle controls as well as DCC accessory control. Why? Because I want it that way, that is all. That is made somewhat difficult by the fact that I do not have the actuators for the TOs in hand or even identified yet. I ***was*** going to use the Tam Valley Servo system and Octopus III accessory DCC controllers, but . . . . . they are no longer available. That leads me to Walthers or possibly the Cobalts, or in the end, the tried and true Tortoises. I must admit, that the price of 11 switch machines and associated paraphernalia is a bit on the daunting side.

3. So hopefully, by the weekend, I will have the 12 VDC and 16 VDC run under the yard area and have tested the Kadee electromagnet uncouplers.

4. I have one trouble TO. The frog seems 'proud,' as in it is higher than its connecting trackage. Again, ME C70 yard ladder system. Most cars do okay, but I have one which always derails. I have checked that car's wheel gauge, which is good. Not sure what to do next. Could the flanges be too large a diameter? Is there a gauge for that? I have used my Dremel-like tool to 'grind' down/smooth the frog, but am worried about going down too far. Suggestions welcome.

Life-wise, all is pretty good. Expecting the refrigerator install this Friday, the Dishwasher install this Saturday, and the Dishwasher hookup next Tuesday. Had a weird problem with kitchen sink that forced me to take apart the plumbing. Thank goodness for hand-tight PVC fittings! All fixed.

We have been fund-raising for the Twin Cities VIsionwalk 2021 put on by the Foundation Fighting Blindness. The walk is this Saturday, so I can no longer attend, but the girls probably will and wifeykins will most likely join them. I'll be doing RR work waiting for the delivery crew. Then planning a nice celebratory dinner that evening. Our team has raised over $4K ! ! ! !If any of you would like to support our fund-raising, https://give.fightingblindness.org/team/360473. Moderators, please edit out that link if inappropriate for this forum. If the link is edited out, please PM me and I will provide the link.

Loving your pictures and discussions! - - - - Steve J

Good morning, 56° and sunny.

Terry: I am sorry things are going badly for your DIL and family.

Steve: Nice work on the flat car....FWIW, I would buy the chocks, since they are available.

I am making progress on the South Chester Terminal. Before I go much farther, I have to lay out the tracks and platform to determine actual width of the structure. I did get the wall assembly together, now I need to reinforce the wall sections,and make a lip for the track board. Photos soon.

Englishtown - Freehold Branch - 1957.jpg

Making smoke at Englishtown, NJ. in 1957. This was a staged photo run by during the Farewell to Steam Excursion, shortly before the last PRR steam was retired. Englishtown, locates on the Freehold Secondary. The location pretty much looked the same, the last time I ran over this track back in the late 1990s.
P5a powered at Goldsboro PA 4-8-62 - Rodney Peterson.jpg

P5a powered freight passing through Goldsboro, PA ion April 8, 1962, photo by Rodney Peterson. The York Haven Line which ran from Wago Jct, to Day, was the glide path for Enola bound freights. Essentially, two parallel two track electrified railroads, that also handled Passenger traffic from Baltimore to Harrisburg. At this point in time P5s were being phased out in favor of E44s.

The frog seems 'proud,' as in it is higher than its connecting trackage.
Steve: I find that this is a common problem with Micro Engineering code 70 switches. Two solutions I have used are additional track nails in the vicinity of the frog to control the slight warp in the tie strip, and the other is to take a Dremel and gently grind the frog where it meets the rail.
I also find guard rails and points will need some gentle filing.

Steve: I find that this is a common problem with Micro Engineering code 70 switches. Two solutions I have used are additional track nails in the vicinity of the frog to control the slight warp in the tie strip, and the other is to take a Dremel and gently grind the frog where it meets the rail.
I also find guard rails and points will need some gentle filing.

Thanks. Can one grind/file down too far? Do I needs worry about the channel for the flange getting too shallow?

I am on WS foam roadbed over foam subroad. Not sure tracknails will help. I have thought about hitting the frog area with a shot of adhesive and pinning/weighting down the frog area.

Good Morning Everyone. Partly cloudy and 72°, wind has shifted as the front has moved in, showers ahead of the front but they didn't form until the leading edge was about 45 miles south of us. High today is only supposed to make it to 82° after just managing 99° yesterday. The elusive triple digit managed to fleet on by once again. Expecting 51° by morning.
Got what will probably be the last hurrah in the pool yesterday, as the temperature made it up to 78.5°. It's ready for the cover; chemicals are good for the winter, everything's clean and I just need to backwash it one more time and go for it. Even though it will be back in the 90's by Saturday, the diminishing sun exposure and angle will work against me. However I will wait for Thursday when the wind is supposed to diminish before attempting to cover it. Meanwhile I can remove the ladder and vacuum tomorrow.
Took the day off from mowing yesterday, that will resume today. I did move some more firewood into the neat stack before it warmed up too much. I also earmarked some branches on existing trees for removal this winter as part of my ongoing pruning project due to neglect between 2005 and 2015.
We're headed out this morning for the first visit with the revision surgeon, prior to the projected Friday date for the re-replacement of my wife's left knee. Yesterday's visit with the original ortho guy was OK, the lab still hasn't been able to get any bacteria to grow in the culture which is good. Tomorrow the medical odyssey continues with the one week follow up to the cataract removal done last week. From wife's point of view it is successful as she hasn't needed her glasses at all. I guess that I'll just have to wait for something to break on me! 🤪

Thanks once again for the likes and comments regarding my slow progress; Karl, Christian, James, Tom O, Steve J, Rick, Hughie, Patrick, Curt, Garry, Mikey, Sherrel, Gary.

Just eggs over easy and a handful of bacon this morning Flo. OJ to quench the thirst.

Didn't spend as much time in the train shed yesterday as I had planned, the last use of the pool interfered with the plans! Got the tree set in place and glued the fence down around the McCormac's Dry Goods store. Added a vehicle as well.
IMG_7762.JPG

I still need to glue in the back piece of fencing on the RH side.
IMG_7764.JPG

I also added ground cover between the near side of the road and the railroad spur. No picture yet as the glue was still glistening.
Not happy with the birdhouse mount. I used a scale 6" pole that just seems to overwhelm the house itself. I used that size because that's what I have seen done in the real world.
IMG_7770.JPG

Today I am intending to remove it and substitute a scale 3.5" metal pole to see if I like it better.

Terry - Organ donation is a very noble thing. The family seems to be making all of the right decisions. Continued prayers and best wishes to all, and may the Good Lord guide them all in their decision making.
Troy - The straps look really nice. I could have used one early on before I found a seamstress who made me a handful of masks that have straps that go around the head. They're not N95's, but I haven't caught anything yet.

Today is National IT Professionals Day, Don't we have a couple on this forum? How are we really supposed to celebrate? Don't break your computer? What are these strange commands in the registry??? Maybe I'll manually uninstall this program by just deleting it???
Everyone have a great day. Stay safe.

Good morning fellow modelers. It is mid 50’s right now and mid60’s later. A good amount of rain yesterday evening and overnight. None of the 3 weather stations I have on the property are reporting rain amounts or wind speed. Looks like a ATV ride today to check them out. They all were working at dinner time last night.

Willie, I‘ve worn glasses since 2nd grade. After the 2nd eye had the cataract surgery I couldn’t believe I could drive without my glasses. Now, I only wear them when I try to do something that I need to see within 4‘. Glad for your wife.

I have a dental cleaning at 11.

I got an email from a Hobby Shop in the Chicago area. They have Central Valley tie strips in stock, so I ordered them even though they are the 9’ mainline instead of the 8’6” I have been using.

Have a wonderful day
TomO

Last edited:
Good morning .

Terry ...... Your post regarding your daughter in law is very, very sad. Prayers for her and the family.

Willie ....... I'm glad your wife's eye surgery went well. Prayers for her knee surgery on Friday. Your dry goods store, tree, and bird house look great.

Steve Dakota ...... Your flat car looks great, and I doubt anybody will notice the minor issues you mentioned about the decals.

Joe .... I'm glad to hear about your progress with your layout. That certainly is a lot of smoke in your first picture. The old P5a's look good in the second picture.

Everybody ..... have a good day.

Not happy with the birdhouse mount. I used a scale 6" pole that just seems to overwhelm the house itself. I used that size because that's what I have seen done in the real world.
Willie- I cut the head off a straight pin and painted it gray to model a piece of galvanized pipe.
It seems to appear more in scale, depending on the size of the birdhouse.
However, I have seen many different methods of mounting birdhouses on poles, fences, structures and trees.
Your railroad, so it is your choice of scenery.

Mikey ... I meant to say earlier your turpentine mill is excellent!
Sherell and Garry- I must confess that I did not build the turpentine mill kit. Another club member put the kit together and I only helped with placing the mill, scenery and adding details and figures.

I must admit that I was tempted to let you think that I had built that beautiful mill!

Last edited:
@Boris @GarryCBQ compliments are appreciated fellas, thank you. I think as far as my wheel chocks I'm going to go for the cheap route and get the car rolling. If I want to redo it later I can just pull them off with the glue I'm using. (Plus between the car, decals and tractor load I'm only in for about $12 on this!)

Honestly I'm quite amazed how much time I can spend researching just how stuff is tied to a flat car.

I appreciate all the likes on my photos, thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back