Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp... the brisket was successful, with some room for improvement, which is what I expected. A tad drier than I prefer despite the beef broth when I wrapped it. Probably due to keeping it warm in the grill once that dropped below 200°f. Kamados hold heat well, and I was able to get 2+ hours of the brisket sitting at 180° internal. After about 2.5 hours "resting" at 180, I transferred it to the cooler so it could gradually drop in temp. Another two hours there and it was down to about 150 - perfect for cutting and serving.

Doing the flat only was just enough for the wife and I to have a nice dinner (she made MacNCheese and homemade cornbread), and leave me about 6 lunch portions of the meat.

Lessons learned: 1 hour per pound, learn to trim better (go ahead and cut those really thin parts away), spray so I don't have to add beef broth.

Troy,

Next time place a tin foil like pie pan or tin foil bread pan on the side in the komodo with water. This will help keep moisture in the meat.

;)

James, I occasionally for the grandkids, neighbor kids and myself build 1/32-1/24 routed wood slot car tracks. 2-3 or 5 lane tracks. The last one though for the grandkids was a Scaletric plastic track 4 lanes and for awhile it was a nightmare. Lack of electric conductivity, ended up adding way too many feeders. Had it since March, 2020. It was taken this week to a Boys and Girls club. I had 5 neighbors or friends of the daughter who I built tracks for donate 2 each 1/24 scale stock cars along with the track to the club. 1/24 can better handle the abuse the kids sometimes hand out.

This one will be 3 lanes just over 100’ per lane. As an experiment the sections will be laminated to get the slot without routing as I cannot get the correct router bits to drop the braid below track level. The bits are on order but coming from China and are out about 8 more months. The actual lane sections are being made on the daughter’s laser and she dropped the 1st group of pieces over a little while ago and I have to approve it. Digital track so we can run multiple cars per lane. There will be multiple spots to switch lanes similar to the way DCC works on our train turnouts.

This track will be a close replica of the track in Austin, the Circuit of the Americas. My 7 year grandson loves the F1 series but most of his neighbors like Stock car racing. I have said 4 times now this is my last track but always seem to build another.

I have never had an HO track but always thought when I raced on them they were too fast. We race at 9 volts instead of 12 but it can be adjusted any time. No magnets are allowed on our track except for the DS granddaughter and her DS friends and no one but the adults are aware and we also let them race at 12 volts. They have a great time competing but still have not finished 1st except against each other. Actually it’s a hoot!

I have lots of pictures with the kids and tracks but have been denied use by the daughter or her friends to post them, sorry.

TomO

That's really cool! When I was growing up in my adolescent years just outside of Milwaukee. When dad went to work on Saturdays in Milwaukee at Allis-Chalmers in West Allis I would go to the hobby shop there with my friends and run the 1/24s. The track at the shop was huge! It was a lot of fun. I only had 2 cars. Then I had the AFX track at home in the basement that was 16' x12' that dad help me build. I still have all the AFX cars something like 3 or 4 dozen. I sold my 1/24 cars back then. Wish I still have them. My cousin had the slot less cars called TCR that you could change lanes with a press of the button on the hand controls... that was cool and more realistic. Especially with the 3rd “jam” car that was always running. Them were the good o'l days. Lol. Thanks for sharing that info. You sure keep busy. I don't have kids so I do not have that going on. I do have 3 nephews and 3 godsons. My nephews are all grown. The oldest is at college Xavier in Nova Scotia working on his masters. The middle one is at Champlain University and the youngest is in the Marines stationed currently in San Diego. My oldest godson is working in Hoover AL for a marketing firm and the middle one is still in college working on his masters at Alabama U. The youngest is just starting high school as a freshman. He loves fishing and is on the school's fishing team. I think he gonna give it a go and be a career fisherman we shall see.

My oldest godson is working in Hoover AL for a marketing firm and the middle one is still in college working on his masters at Alabama U.
James-
Bama football fans would quickly correct your name for the college.
My grandson is a student at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.
UAB is the Birmingham campus and UAH is the Huntsville campus.

It makes no difference to me since I went to Auburn University. :)

James-
Bama football fans would quickly correct your name for the college.
My grandson is a student at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.
UAB is the Birmingham campus and UAH is the Huntsville campus.

It makes no difference to me since I went to Auburn University. :)
Well both of the older godsons went to University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa for their 4 year degree. The oldest graduated with his masters from there as well. The middle one is at University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa working on his masters. Sorry for the mix up lol I do like Bama....Roll Tide but I was a FSU Seminole......Bobby Bowden Dynasty....when Charlie Ward played and Deon Sanders......soooo long ago. and before that a Badgers fan....if I had graduated high school in Wisconsin I would have gone to Madison....but we moved between my sophmore and junior year to Florida soooo that's that.

I like rural photography. Especially "Old World"... Beautiful "girls" as well.
headless, red dressed butler robot.
Thank you !
What is the red thing in the background in this pic? It looks like an old petrol/gasoline pump from a petrol/gasoline station. That or a headless, red dressed butler robot.
It's a fire Hydrants.

145784.JPG

Good Morning Everybody. Clear and 68° here, lower 90's for a high again today. I haven't put the cover on the pool yet, and the temperature is gradually creeping up from the low of 72° last week to 77° yesterday. Since the forecast is calling for 98° on Monday, I am going to take a chance that it will continue to warm up and be usable for another day or three. While I like it a bit warmer, I will use it at 78°, my absolute lowest tolerable temperature.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the current project; Christian, Tom O, Mikey, Joe, James, Patrick, Garry, Sherrel, Hughie, Rick, Curt, Karl, Steve J, Tom.

I'll take a Mexican omelet this morning Flo, with a tall OJ.

Unfortunately another short day in the train shed yesterday. Lots of other stuff going on right now. I worked on the scene around McCormac's Dry Goods and put in the gravel parking area and the ground foam. I also painted part of the backdrop but I am not happy with it yet.
IMG_7743.JPG

The green is too dark and you can't really see the dividing line between it and the black. The wall also did some funny things to the paint, so I will repaint next. The center isn't that big of deal since it will be masked by the fence. But you get the idea of how it is intended to look.
IMG_7744.JPG

While the wet glue was drying, my idle hands added a poster and some graffiti to a part of the fence.
IMG_7733.JPG

Since I get ideas from some strange places, I was impressed with the birdhouses that Mikey showed us the other day.. I decided to try one.
IMG_7737.JPG

IMG_7740.JPG

Crude in the pictures, but acceptable from 3'
I'll now spend two weeks deciding where it might go.

Mikey - I agree with your comment about placing figures on a layout. I definitely try to convey action with mine, not always successfully though. I like the water tank picture.
Troy - The brisket spent too much time spent resting.
Christian - Interesting fire hydrant.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Good morning from cool at 51f/10.5c degrees Wisconsin. 45 years ago at St. Rita’s in Racine, Wi. Terry and I got married. Not as cool as this morning as it rained on and off and 2 times we had hail. It’s been a good 45 years with some tough times financially but everything is fine now. We have 2 excellent kids at 39 and 36 years old both with MBA’s and decent employment and home life’s. 2 wonderfully enjoyable grandkids at 10 and 7 and everyone (at least this week) healthy.

James, like trains slot cars were a big thing during my youth. 1/32 Strombecker at home and Kit built 1/24th raced at the hobby shop with a big 8 lane track. Another slot car only shop with a 12 lane track. The tracks were all over the southwest suburbs of Chicago for about 6 years or so.

Willie, I have just started adding LP to the layout. I have been buying from Miniprints.com and a few from Woodland Scenics

Steve, sounds like you made a good decision switching clubs. We go to the UW Badger Women’s hockey games in Minneapolis and now the St. Thomas ladies have joined the conference. I may hit you up some weekend when we come up from Madison.

Have a great day
TomO

80ABD661-6BA8-4677-BCEA-02C14A59A330.jpeg

Last edited:
Greetings all!

The delivery crew was misscheduled by me - actually next Friday, so went to play golf yesterday - so no train work. That's today.

Had a lovely day. Breezy and cool until the sun came out. Then home for a nap after shopping for dinner. Made us Poached salmon with a low-fat hollandaise, boiled new potatoes, steamed broccoli and a simple greens salad with a homemade mustard vinaigrette. Oh, did I mention martinis for her and single malt for me?

A lovely Sancerre with dinner, long shower while she did the cleanup and then a bottle of Bordeaux with the movie. Got a bit of a head this morning, go figure!

Still, off to breakfast and then will commence electronic work for the layout. Must mow the grass, but need to wait until the dew is off. Mid 40s this morning - which is nice. It must be officially Autumn as the black cat wanted under the covers this morning.

Enjoy the day all! - - - Steve J

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 76.
My impatience just cost me $1200.
No, I didn't buy a brass engine with sound.
I bought a new computer for my wife.
Her old computer is a very nice, maxed-out iMac dating from 2012. While it's very good shape, it is showing its age when trying to perform some more demanding modern tasks.
I was shopping for a replacement, and found an offer for the latest model, with zero % apr on some models.
I clicked the offer, selected the computer, then clicked on the info button to see if it qualified for the financing offer.
Nothing happened.
I clicked again.
Nothing happened again.
I clicked a third time, with the same results.
Refreshed the page.
Clicked again.
Nada.
Clickclickclickclick....
"Thank you for your purchase, your order will ship Monday".
"$%^&FDFUYTHRFUVRCUJTYFVUTYRVCYRTSREYTVUTRYOBIJ!!!!!!"
At least it is one of the zero percent finance models...
Anybody want a nice 2012 iMac, i7, 16gb ram, 1tb fusion drive, cheap?
Sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back