Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprisingly cool morning in Clarkdale, AZ. Rode the Goldwing out here last week again and have done a few local rides.
Will be observing/attending a motorcycle event today, Thunder Valley Rally in Cottonwood, AZ, just next town over. Should be a lot of bikes in town and a lot of, "Look at me" riders who will keep the local paramedic teams busy.
Tomorrow is the highlight of this trip with a visit to the Wyoming Division Model Railroad for a closed operating session. That's the one I did a video about last February.

Surprisingly cool morning in Clarkdale, AZ. Rode the Goldwing out here last week again and have done a few local rides.
Will be observing/attending a motorcycle event today, Thunder Valley Rally in Cottonwood, AZ, just next town over. Should be a lot of bikes in town and a lot of, "Look at me" riders who will keep the local paramedic teams busy.
Tomorrow is the highlight of this trip with a visit to the Wyoming Division Model Railroad for a closed operating session. That's the one I did a video about last February.
Ken,

Have a great time. I was invited to one of Verle’s February in 2019 get togethers but had to drop out at the last minute. Boy, I regret that. Just a beautiful put together layout. One of his employees for the layout, Allen Montgomery is a fantastic scenery guy.

Be safe on the bike
TomO

Good morning from chilled again Wisconsin. 61f/16c degrees heading into the high 70’s. The grass thinks it is Springtime as it is growing seemingly before my eyes, thats my job today, to shorten it.

The g/son and SIL put together the materials we had for the slot car track framework. We are at a standstill until the lumber yard calls to tell us the balance of the materials are in. The daughter started yesterday on the pit buildings. I wasn‘t able to get into the trainroom last night after our travel day last night. Sat down in my chair at 7:30 and left it at midnight.

Have a great day
TomO

Van Gogh Immerserve exhibit
View attachment 132606

Tom I may have missed the previous mentions of the slot car track....is this AFX style HO scale of is the larger scale that you are working on?

Good morning, everybody.

Truckdad Dave ..... Glad to hear there still is a normal part of CA. I do have my doubts about your state.

Steve Dakota .... Your NP Z8 looks fabulous. I'm envious.

Terry ..... From what I hear about Australian Sheppards is they are smart dogs. So, if Gunner likes you, it proves he is smart.

Christian .... I like your dogs also.

Mikey ..... I like your scenes with bird house and with men at work. Excellent !

Willie ..... It is good to see your progress with making a scene on this part of your layout.

Ken D&J ..... Thanks for checking in. That's a long trip on a Goldwing, but I suspect you enjoyed it.

Tom O .... 61F might seem chilled now, but in three months, it'll be much colder there I bet.

I mentioned the Empire Builder yesterday. From Chicago to Twin Cities, it had Burlington E-units, and from Twin Cities to Seattle, it had GN F-units. I operate my Empire Builder with either type of locomotives.

36008946073_79fabe5322_b.jpg

36647630892_804e653197_b.jpg

49495321871_623f790896_k.jpg

Last edited:
Well, howdy there internet MRR peeps

It's Troy again

Today, let's talk about getting up to early to assuage my belly.

I actually slept in until 6 am. It helps that the sun isn't illuminating the bedroom as early as it used to.

But, I started too early. What did I start?

The Kamado

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 10.50.41 AM.png

So... what's Troy smoking today?

How about a Brisket flat?

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 10.50.13 AM.png

I LOOOOOOVE Brisket... and it's been the unicorn cook for me with my new grill.

18 pounds of yumm is way too much of a Troy's gonna screw this up somehow... and I don't want to waste 18 pounds of yumm with a full packer brisket.

BUT, Costco sells the flat. I found a 5.7 pound one in the meat case earlier this week. A flat would be a good trial run. Figure out what I need, where I'm going to make mistakes, etc.

So last night I trimmed it up. Silverskin... ugh. it's a pain to get off. Removed about a pound of fat etc. So I"m looking at a 5# hunk of brisket.

Started the grill about 6:30. Put the meat on at 7:30ish. Five hours of cook (1hr/pound) plus 2 hr of rest in the FTC (Foil, towel, cooler) and she should be good. Well... probably a good 4 hour rest to get to dinner time. I'm trying to get the grill temp closer to 200° f to slow down the final hours of the cook.

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 10.49.42 AM.png

I forgot to spritz it with water earlier (It's laundry day, so I'm multi-tasking)... so, when I wrapped it for the Texas cheat of the stall period, I added a cup of beef broth... anyone have any suggestions on what to do with half-a-can of beef broth?

Here it is in the final leg of the cook (vegan safe view)

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 10.49.30 AM.png

Anyway, it's just a thought.

I'll let you know how dinner goes.

Have a good Friday.

GARRY - Those are simply awesome pictures of your layout. You are right up there with the best of them!

I see lots to comment on this morning -- bet I will forget many of them I want to mention?

58F/14.4C to start the day and cool for this time of year? It's supposed to reach only 82F/27.8C later on.
Last year this date was 101F/38,3C and the record was year 2000 at 105F/40.5C.

My Birthday last evening (just my Spousal Unit and I) was one for the record books and will not soon be forgotten!
We started with drinks in the bar at 'The Mexican Cafe' (honest - that's the name of it)! Before long the Spousal Unit was on her knees at my feet - literally - she was so loaded that she fell down and our waiter had to help me get her to the car - we had given up on having a meal - Luckily the car was right outside the bar exit. I, fortunately, had only had a couple draft beers and was not impaired as to being able to drive; we made it home and I was able to steady her enough to get her into the house where she immediately said, " I'm hungry"! I was too, so I quickly made a large omelet, which we divided and sourdough toast to go with it.
From this point on I will spare you the details, but she announced that she wanted in my pants! I said sure, why not - You have been wearing them for years anyway!
It was a Birthday that WE will not forget along with many others at the bar!

Last edited:
GARRY - Those are simply awesome pictures of your layout. You are right up there with the best of them!

I see lots to comment on this morning -- bet I will forget many of them I want to mention?

58F/14.4C to start the day and cool for this time of year? It's supposed to reach only 82F/27.8C later on.

My Birthday last evening (just my Spousal Unit and I) was one for the record books and will not soon be forgotten!
We started with drinks in the bar at 'The Mexican Cafe' (honest - that's the name of it)! Before long the Spousal Unit was on her knees at my feet - literally - she was so loaded that she fell down and our waiter had to help me get her to the car - we had given up on having a meal - Luckily the car was right outside the bar exit. I, fortunately, had only had a couple draft beers and was not impaired as to being able to drive; we made it home and I was able to steady her enough to get her into the house where she immediately said, " I'm hungry"! I was too, so I quickly made a large omelet, which we divided and sourdough toast to go with it.
From this point on I will spare you the details, but she announced that she wanted in my pants! I said sure, why not - You have been wearing them for years anyway!
You probably should have left the bar before getting to the inside-pants thing started…

Tom I may have missed the previous mentions of the slot car track....is this AFX style HO scale of is the larger scale that you are working on?
James, I occasionally for the grandkids, neighbor kids and myself build 1/32-1/24 routed wood slot car tracks. 2-3 or 5 lane tracks. The last one though for the grandkids was a Scaletric plastic track 4 lanes and for awhile it was a nightmare. Lack of electric conductivity, ended up adding way too many feeders. Had it since March, 2020. It was taken this week to a Boys and Girls club. I had 5 neighbors or friends of the daughter who I built tracks for donate 2 each 1/24 scale stock cars along with the track to the club. 1/24 can better handle the abuse the kids sometimes hand out.

This one will be 3 lanes just over 100’ per lane. As an experiment the sections will be laminated to get the slot without routing as I cannot get the correct router bits to drop the braid below track level. The bits are on order but coming from China and are out about 8 more months. The actual lane sections are being made on the daughter’s laser and she dropped the 1st group of pieces over a little while ago and I have to approve it. Digital track so we can run multiple cars per lane. There will be multiple spots to switch lanes similar to the way DCC works on our train turnouts.

This track will be a close replica of the track in Austin, the Circuit of the Americas. My 7 year grandson loves the F1 series but most of his neighbors like Stock car racing. I have said 4 times now this is my last track but always seem to build another.

I have never had an HO track but always thought when I raced on them they were too fast. We race at 9 volts instead of 12 but it can be adjusted any time. No magnets are allowed on our track except for the DS granddaughter and her DS friends and no one but the adults are aware and we also let them race at 12 volts. They have a great time competing but still have not finished 1st except against each other. Actually it’s a hoot!

I have lots of pictures with the kids and tracks but have been denied use by the daughter or her friends to post them, sorry.

TomO

Good morning, everybody.

Truckdad Dave ..... Glad to hear there still is a normal part of CA. I do have my doubts about your state.

Steve Dakota .... Your NP Z8 looks fabulous. I'm envious.

Terry ..... From what I hear about Australian Sheppards is they are smart dogs. So, if Gunner likes you, it proves he is smart.

Christian .... I like your dogs also.

Mikey ..... I like your scenes with bird house and with men at work. Excellent !

Willie ..... It is good to see your progress with making a scene on this part of your layout.

Ken D&J ..... Thanks for checking in. That's a long trip on a Goldwing, but I suspect you enjoyed it.

Tom O .... 61F might seem chilled now, but in three months, it'll be much colder there I bet.

I mentioned the Empire Builder yesterday. From Chicago to Twin Cities, it had Burlington E-units, and from Twin Cities to Seattle, it had GN F-units. I operate my Empire Builder with either type of locomotives.

36008946073_79fabe5322_b.jpg

36647630892_804e653197_b.jpg

49495321871_623f790896_k.jpg
Garry, great pictures.

Yes, 61f seems cold now. In 3 months in Wisconsin low 20’s to wake up to. In Maui maybe 70 waking up. Guess where I am heading 10/15/2021.

TomO

Well, howdy there internet MRR peeps

It's Troy again

Today, let's talk about getting up to early to assuage my belly.

I actually slept in until 6 am. It helps that the sun isn't illuminating the bedroom as early as it used to.

But, I started too early. What did I start?

The Kamado

View attachment 132610

So... what's Troy smoking today?

How about a Brisket flat?

View attachment 132611

I LOOOOOOVE Brisket... and it's been the unicorn cook for me with my new grill.

18 pounds of yumm is way too much of a Troy's gonna screw this up somehow... and I don't want to waste 18 pounds of yumm with a full packer brisket.

BUT, Costco sells the flat. I found a 5.7 pound one in the meat case earlier this week. A flat would be a good trial run. Figure out what I need, where I'm going to make mistakes, etc.

So last night I trimmed it up. Silverskin... ugh. it's a pain to get off. Removed about a pound of fat etc. So I"m looking at a 5# hunk of brisket.

Started the grill about 6:30. Put the meat on at 7:30ish. Five hours of cook (1hr/pound) plus 2 hr of rest in the FTC (Foil, towel, cooler) and she should be good. Well... probably a good 4 hour rest to get to dinner time. I'm trying to get the grill temp closer to 200° f to slow down the final hours of the cook.

View attachment 132612

I forgot to spritz it with water earlier (It's laundry day, so I'm multi-tasking)... so, when I wrapped it for the Texas cheat of the stall period, I added a cup of beef broth... anyone have any suggestions on what to do with half-a-can of beef broth?

Here it is in the final leg of the cook (vegan safe view)

View attachment 132613

Anyway, it's just a thought.

I'll let you know how dinner goes.

Have a good Friday.
Love the vegan safe view. Not a brisket fan myself but the SIL and the son in Texas are perfecting their methods. Both got the Komodo after you got yours.

Extra broth. Make beef barley soup, use the broth as the starter.

TomO

I want the bar address. Our 45th anniversary tomorrow and the on the 27 and 29th our birthdays

TomO

Good afternoon. In an event that should surprise no one that knows me, I ended up with a migraine headache overnight. I decided staying home, rather than adding to the pain, would be the plan of the day.
Son has left to go to his in-laws to confer, and let them know what their daughter's condition is directly from him. He is handling this crisis very well, all things considered.
Things are not at the "D Day" stage yet, everything is currently in a holding pattern.

Afternoon All,

Started out working at Dad's for about 90 minutes before the friend showed up and we started dealing with the roll top desk...bottom line is it's no longer my problem to deal with. Not sure about tomorrow. It will either be spent moving Kathy's sewing room or back to Dad's. It depends on if Son in Law is available.

TomO- I'm glad someone had your back. People are idiots.

Garry- Great photo and scenes.

Dakota- Beautiful looking steamer.

Mikey- Nice scenes.

Joe- Nice looking CNJ loco.

Christian- Nice looking pooches.

Terry- Continued prayers for your family. I imagine the dog is feeling the stress around him.

Willie- Also continued prayers for your wife. The forced perspective should work out well for you.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening.

Sherrel ..... Thanks for your kind remark. .... I'm glad your celebration was good. Will you repeat the bar experience next year?

Garry, great pictures.
In Maui maybe 70 waking up. Guess where I am heading 10/15/2021.

Tom .... Thanks for commenting about my pictures. .... Let's see. Where are you heading on 1-/15/2021? Could you give a clue? Enjoy it !

Garry- Great photo and scenes.

Curt ...... Thanks for commenting. ... You have lots going on, apparently, with your Dad's place.

Garry and Curt- Thank you for the kind words.

Mikey ..... You are welcome. The water tank and tree next to it look real.

Our neighbor just lost her brother to Covid. Another failed vaccine patient. We know of several cases where the vaccine did not prevent Covid or reduce symptoms if the person gets it. .... So. No after what, be careful. Avoid situations where you may get infected.

Everybody ..... Have a good evening !

Welp... the brisket was successful, with some room for improvement, which is what I expected. A tad drier than I prefer despite the beef broth when I wrapped it. Probably due to keeping it warm in the grill once that dropped below 200°f. Kamados hold heat well, and I was able to get 2+ hours of the brisket sitting at 180° internal. After about 2.5 hours "resting" at 180, I transferred it to the cooler so it could gradually drop in temp. Another two hours there and it was down to about 150 - perfect for cutting and serving.

Doing the flat only was just enough for the wife and I to have a nice dinner (she made MacNCheese and homemade cornbread), and leave me about 6 lunch portions of the meat.

Lessons learned: 1 hour per pound, learn to trim better (go ahead and cut those really thin parts away), spray so I don't have to add beef broth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back