Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Partly cloudy an 70° this morning.

Feeling a bit under the weather this morning, muscle aches and general fuzziness, like when you have a fever. I got the 2nd Shingrex yesterday after work, so I think that's what it is. Only got the first one because the wife wanted me too. I never presented when I had the chicken pox years ago, so AFAIK I never had them, although antibody tests say I have. Also the Dr. recommended I get them while insurance pays for them as they are problematic on Medicare. I'm still a few years so I did. That will probably delay my flu shot as I didn't take one when I got my shot yesterday.

Oh well, not much yet going on this morning.

Ugh - is that the shingles vaccine? Both made me quite ill for a good 24 - 36 hours. Not comfortable at all. But, better than the actual disease, they say.

But I think I must be sensitive to vaccies. I remember back in the Navy, I got the Yellow Fever shot, I think, three times. Each time made me sick for about three days. First was right before I was commissioned - at the start of finals week at Texas A&M! Guess I passed.

Good morning from 72f degrees on the south deck in Wisconsin. This was the possible high for the day so we shall see how far off the weather guessers are.

The colors on those pipes Tom, tell us what product will be going through them. I looked it up on line but unlike the OHSA site nothing real specific. Looks like mainly used in mining projects.

Shingles shot, got them a few years ago. No discomfort for me but the Doctor says safer to get the shot then the shingles. I did get my flu shot last Friday. SIL has tested negative the last 3 tests and now the doctors are saying false positives on his 1couple Covid tests.

I ordered lumber and birch paneling sheets for the slot tracks. Speciality sheets of birch are almost 3 times higher then last year’s purchases. Material for the laser cutter is almost 4 times. Crazy plus less then 1/2 in stock and delivery is $100 but was free last year. Cheap me will go pick up this afternoon what he has, 20 miles away.

Willie, best to the wife on eye #2. One of the best things I ever did was my cataract surgeries.

Terry, best to your family

JazA, amazing scenes you create.

Patrick, get better

Have a great day
TomO

Good Morning all! Well we are coming out the other side of Hurricane Nicholas. A lot of branches down in the front yard, street flooded about 2/3 the way down and the neighbors chicken coop is blown down. Lights blinked off and on a half dozen times but remained on, however some homes behind me must have lost power as I heard generators running. The center is over Houston now, but the storm is so lopsided we are not seeing any rain and only a slight wind. The majority of the rain is now over Louisiana, where they really don't need it.

I did get some scenery work done yesterday, and ran some trains for about 30 minutes.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good Morning all! Well we are coming out the other side of Hurricane Nicholas. A lot of branches down in the front yard, street flooded about 2/3 the way down and the neighbors chicken coop is blown down. Lights blinked off and on a half dozen times but remained on, however some homes behind me must have lost power as I heard generators running. The center is over Houston now, but the storm is so lopsided we are not seeing any rain and only a slight wind. The majority of the rain is now over Louisiana, where they really don't need it.

I did get some scenery work done yesterday, and ran some trains for about 30 minutes.

STAY SAFE

LATER
Hughie - So glad to read that you came through the storm relatively unscathed. My son recently bought a condo in Port Aransas which appears to have escaped as well.

Ok, I never considered 68 to be old. However after today’s intended 2 mile walk became 3.5 miles I may reconsider. Have you ever gotten lost on your own property? Terry is still laughing. I took a wrong trail because I KNOW where it goes. My spouse said no wrong way! About 3/4 of a mile down the trail I became convinced she was right and turned around.

Glad the storm missed you Hughie, and your son Willie.

E4680670-ED57-4A7A-93EB-08BAB3054332.jpeg

My son texted yesterday afternoon as his cell phone jumped out of his pocket and somersaulted 20’ to the ground. The phone works but the screen is shattered. His question, “was I due for a new phone”? My reply, if you weren’t you are now.
He is on the company cell phone plan but has to buy his own phones, (poor kid).

TomO

Top of the day to all modelers out there! It is only supposed to reach 90F/32.2C for a high today. I had to pull the comforter over me last night - it seemed a little cool around 4 am this morning and when I let the pups out at 6am - it was quite cool. (when your body adjusts to the 90's, then 59-60 seems cool!)
Speaking of the pups - one of them - the little terror of a bichon/poodle mix has to go get shots later today. His rabies has actually expired three months ago and I have delayed taking any of my ladies to the vets because I HATE the wait in the car while they take them inside. BS, I want to face the doctor and be able to ask questions. I am going to switch vets anyway because of them saying that I have to make an appointment two weeks away for to get the big dog treated for her toenail accident. Speaking of that - she is doing very well and in another 24 hours her bandage can come off. Spousal Unit asked me if her nail will grow back - and to be truthful - I don't know .. maybe?

After Charlie goes to the vet today, I will proceed on out to the MIL's place and bring back the RV soes I can start to put things back in it. I have decided that we only need 1/2 of the "stuff" that we had in it.
I think that we will try and make a few trips later in the year. I will just drain all the lines and we will live on bottled water; that way I don't have to worry about freezing lines up. The waste tanks have heaters, so they should be ok?

JOE - Beautiful photos today - actually most all of yours are great.
Willie - Wishing Arlene the best on her surgery! (did I finally spell her name correctly)
TomO - That is one sad looking phone! Ouch!! Lost on your own property? Not sure I would tell that- lol?
Patrick - I took the Modena shots for Covid, but I have given up on other stuff -- I was so sick that I swore off of any flu shots after being sick 3 years in a row. Wife got the singles shot - I have not.
Thanks for all the truck info.

Well, I better make some tracks! (pardon the pun)

Sherrel: Not sell the RV? Or did I miss something? I've read where people and dealers aren't happy with the current build quality of most new RV's. No quality control. No problem with the truck info. I've had an interest in trucks since my first in HS at age 18. Like everyone else I have opinions too...lol

Ok, I never considered 68 to be old. However after today’s intended 2 mile walk became 3.5 miles I may reconsider. Have you ever gotten lost on your own property? Terry is still laughing. I took a wrong trail because I KNOW where it goes. My spouse said no wrong way! About 3/4 of a mile down the trail I became convinced she was right and turned around.

Glad the storm missed you Hughie, and your son Willie.

View attachment 132450

My son texted yesterday afternoon as his cell phone jumped out of his pocket and somersaulted 20’ to the ground. The phone works but the screen is shattered. His question, “was I due for a new phone”? My reply, if you weren’t you are now.
He is on the company cell phone plan but has to buy his own phones, (poor kid).

TomO
If it still works, have him look into getting the screen replaced. there are a lot of places that will do it for a reasonable price. Some are even reputable.

Howdy ....

Terry ..... I'm very sad to read your latest news about your daughter in law.

Joe ...... I like the Pennsy doodlebug photo as fellas the GG1 picture.

Everybody: ...... Thanks again for likes and comments of my recent posts with photos.

Here are two more pictures. I believe I have shown these in past months, but I will point out the Campbell buildings. This is part of the 1900 era section I added to my layout. Most of the layout is 1950's and 1960's, but I decoded to add this section. All of the 1900 era stuff is from a previous layout.

The first picture has a Fine Scale Miniature station in the foreground. I built the station years ago while recovering from injuries I got from a drunk driver. The engine house, rectangular water tank, and overhead crane are Campbell kits I put together. The coaling tower is one I scratch built.

39053913125_1e383c1ed7_k.jpg

The second picture is the interior of the engine house. This building was significantly damaged during many years of storage, and I had to rebuild it. I added interior details while doing that.

24405666368_6029aa3ffd_k.jpg

Everyone .... have a good rest of the day.

If it still works, have him look into getting the screen replaced. there are a lot of places that will do it for a reasonable price. Some are even reputable.
He was going to do that this evening after work. Phone is 3 years old so he thinks he needs an upgrade, we kept our 5se’s 5 years until last month. Since he has to pay for it we shall see what he does. The wife says new phone, I say if it’s repairable he’ll do that. If it was his sister, she have left work immediately yesterday and purchased the latest and greatest.

Tom

Howdy ....

Terry ..... I'm very sad to read your latest news about your daughter in law.

Joe ...... I like the Pennsy doodlebug photo as fellas the GG1 picture.

Everybody: ...... Thanks again for likes and comments of my recent posts with photos.

Here are two more pictures. I believe I have shown these in past months, but I will point out the Campbell buildings. This is part of the 1900 era section I added to my layout. Most of the layout is 1950's and 1960's, but I decoded to add this section. All of the 1900 era stuff is from a previous layout.

The first picture has a Fine Scale Miniature station in the foreground. I built the station years ago while recovering from injuries I got from a drunk driver. The engine house, rectangular water tank, and overhead crane are Campbell kits I put together. The coaling tower is one I scratch built.

39053913125_1e383c1ed7_k.jpg

The second picture is the interior of the engine house. This building was significantly damaged during many years of storage, and I had to rebuild it. I added interior details while doing that.

24405666368_6029aa3ffd_k.jpg

Everyone .... have a good rest of the day.
Excellent buildings and pictures

TomO

Stopping by for a bit, Garry, those buildings are really nice and well detailed. Terry: Sorry to hear that about your DIL.

I had a good visit at the Doc's this afternoon. Mostly everything looks good. The rest is passable for now.

Nothing much going on right now.

Frankford Jct. 1955.jpg

WB Freight waiting on WB passenger to clear Shore Interlocking in 1955. P70 coach behind the GG1 resembles the Bachmann P70.

AC Zemke 8-15-53 Morrisville PA.jpg

GP7s in 1953, shoving train from South into Morrisville Yard.

Hello Gang....

It's been a little bit since I posted here in the shop. I have been reeling a bit the past 2 weekends. I had a former classmate and friend Beverly, who was married to another good friend & classmate Bill (Marine who served 4 tours). Well Bev past away and lost her 3 week battle to COVID. It really sucked. The Almighty gained another angel. She was a gentle soul. My buddy Bill will have a long road ahead of him. They were married right out of high school before he went into the Marines in the summer 87. 34 years.....I can not imagine his emotions that he will be going through. I will be there to listen and support but I could never be able to say I undestand that level of loss. It's terrible.

Then of course we all were affected by this past weekend events. I lost my Aunt Barbara (Barbara G edwards) to 9/11 she was on flight 77 that hit the Pentagon. It still pains me and my family and very raw even after 20 years. We all try to keep moving forward and honor her. She left behind 3 boys around my age. The youngest served in the Marines 22 years. Anyhow time marches on.

Fall is coming and seasonal changes are start happen. I will be more focus on the MRR when I finish up my fishing season and some hunting. I tag out pretty quick. I never seem to have that problem not doing so. Bow season already...I will be out this weekend.It won't take long.

I finally got the Alcos for my layout I will post that on the Mail Call thread.....along with a few other exciting acqusitions.

I shared some pics of my Aunt Barbara memorial in DC and at the school she taught at......

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631307121223.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631307121223.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 70
  • 45519_10151503278930688_230994118_n.jpg
    45519_10151503278930688_230994118_n.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 12003142_10207571545103874_4948308346140121065_n.jpg
    12003142_10207571545103874_4948308346140121065_n.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 72
  • 241791525_2111782778996235_6243076268589988156_n.jpg
    241791525_2111782778996235_6243076268589988156_n.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 72
  • FB_IMG_1631313897555.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631313897555.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 76
I was going to make a few comments, but decided again it! I just basically think that it is an individual thing and I look at it this way -- Personally, I and my wife are vaxed, my 50 and 56 y/o kids are really agin it ... thats their choice. However half my wife's kids are and half arenot. She not want them anywhere near her mother who already has breathing problems.
But there is no pressure either way - except having to listen to my son who thinks we are all crazy and giving up "FREEDOM" by the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back