Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 64Ā°, possibly going up to 90Ā° later on. Looks like this latest tropical storm Nicholas is going to hit the Texas Gulf Coast later this morning a little east of where it was originally expected, meaning that as it moves inland and tracks north, the rains will miss me and end up closer to Shreveport and Texarkana. The rains may well be affecting Hughie right now.
It looks like today will be an outdoor chore day, since my wife's cataract surgery for the other eye is tomorrow at 8:00 am, and then the follow-up check-in Wednesday at 8:15 am. Any projects on those days will get a late start; then Thursday is the weekly trek to Denton for groceries etc.

Scrambled eggs, bacon and raisin toast this morning for me Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the antiques shop posted yesterday; Christian, Karl, Garry, Tom O, Gary, Tom, Guy, Patrick. Detailing that porch with stuff from the details box gave it an added dimension. After reviewing the pictures, I am going to add a figure to the rear loading dock.

As usual, Sunday was a limited day in the train shed. Mass in the morning, followed by brunch with another couple from church, nap, laundry and some outdoor stuff. Then later a dinner out prior to the upcoming surgery.
About the only thing constructive that I did was add some figures to Suds Bucket, a laser-cut wood kit from JL Innovative that I.m not sure that I have featured here before. First I had to make a minor repair to the front wall with Gorilla Super Glue. It didn't look like I glued it to begin with!
IMG_7680.JPG

IMG_7678.JPG

Yes, that is intended to be a tattered canopy.
These two have been there since I made the structure.
IMG_7679.JPG

Steve J - The local HD delivery guys here are contractors that can be easily persuaded with a $20 bill. You just need to know which one is "El jefe".
Guy - I see that the engines yesterday sprouted a tree as well as a power pole!;)
Troy - That is creepy about the bicycle. Home invasions are always creepy regardless of what comes up missing.
Greg - Garry's picture of the truss bridge should make it somewhat easier to reassemble.
Terry - Prayers and many positive thoughts from me for your DIL and stepson, as well as the rest of the family in this time of great sorrow.

Everybody have a great day and a wonderful week. Stay safe, think positive and relax!

Morning - Late as it is? Supposed to be 98F/36.6C today as it has been stuck there almost as long as I can remember under extremely clear skies.

TERRY - My thoughts and prayers are with you, step-son, and all the family. My second wife lost an 18 y/o son from a auto rollover (my truck) who was in a coma for 8 days before passing - the accident happened a quarter mile from the house and much alcohol was involved. His death eventually broke up the marriage saying it was my fault even though she sanctioned him using my truck. My whole point is that I do understand the problems that everyone is going through at this time and all the helplessness feelings involved. I am very much sorry to hear of all this.

I don't have a whole lot to say at the moment. Had my hands full with my "big" dog yesterday. She caught a nail coming down the stairs Saturday and ripped the nail at the base. She wouldn't let me get close to it, so I was not aware how bad it was. I tried to get to my vet, but they wouldn't see her for two weeks - I am now searching for another VET! I took her to the Emergency Pet Clinic where they took her right in! Four hours later she is sporting a bandaged leg and, although still sleepy from being knocked out for the surgery, she is feeling much better at only a cost of $400 plus!

I did manage to finish building a "garage" type house for the G-sons land turtle. It is 18"x21"x17" high. Need to give it another coat of paint - the wafer board needs protection from the sun and lawn water. This is his second home - the first he outgrew over the past three years. Amazing ... he likes to go inside it at night!
turtle1.jpgturtle2.jpg

OK - enough rambling - I have read all, but just haven't commented on all! Great photos ALL.

And just like that, my bents have ground around them. While the last of my foam putty dries up here through the day, I hope to start connecting the wiring tonight.

View attachment 132293

I don't dwell much on 9/11, because my adolescent brain wasn't in the right place to fully grasp what was going on. That said, I think tomorrow my AFT 4449 deserves to roll. You know, for some color. Maybe 1977 Amtrak Steam Special?

View attachment 132294 View attachment 132295
Steve This shot of 4449 N/B on the trestle caught my eye immediately! This is at Arroyo Hondo Creek or "Tajiguas" as we used to call it. A couple miles south of Gaviota, Ca, where there is another trestle just like it. In the 1st 10 years of my driving career, I crossed that concrete bridge (s/b US 101) several times a week and always enjoyed seeing a train rolling next to me. The 101 bridge was closed in 79 or 80 and the road was moved more inland. There are lots of photos of the Daylight running up & down the coast in that area.

Good Morning all! Off and on showers predicted for the day. Full on downpours, thunderstorms and possible tornados during the night. We have stocked up on groceries, water, gas for the gen and the cars topped off. So now we sit and wait. During Harvey we recorded 47 inches in 3 days and didn't flood, close but didn't reach the house. The current predictions are from 8" to 20" of rain from Nicholas. The difference is 47" over 3 days vs. 8 to 20 in 1 night. Another issue is the timing of the tides in Galveston Bay. Nearly all the communities around depend on bayous draining into the bay. So high tide with a storm surge on top makes drainage almost nil.
On the bright side I should get some train time and maybe even paint a landscape.

STAY SAFE (And Dry)

LATER

Good Morning everyone heavy thunderstorm this morning and now just a heavy over cast. We needed the rain with the near drought conditions. Just enough rain to keep our lawn semi-green. The contractor came last week and applied the late summer fertilizer to the lawn.

Tom, Garry & Willie:
Since I don't have any spot for the bridge on this layout I doubt it will ever be re-assembled. The bright side of the story is the layout area was moved away from the dangerous laundry room area and into its own room that I constructed. The room is approximately 12 X 16 and is a bit too small, but I fit my layout into the space and some day I'll master a CAD program to draw the plans as the layout was completed.

When I was on another Forum and in discussing my plans for this layout I met by accident a famous musical performer who only used his first name, but I was able to figure out who he was with maybe being 98% being positive of my guess work. We shared ideas and he several times emailed me drawings of his suggestions.

Terry: My thoughts are with your daughter's recovery.

she is feeling much better at only a cost of $400 plus!

Years ago, we had to take our Samoyed to an after hours emergency animal hospital and the first thing they asked for was our Master or Visa charge card or $500 in cash for a deposit. After filling out endless forms and x-rays, the Vet guessed it was a UTI infection and gave us a jar of pills and told us to see our regular Vet the next week. Lab tests were negative and our Sammy in a matter of days returned to normal after spending nearly $700.

My SOO Line SW1200 is due for delivery today since the USPS tracking application says the locomotive is at the local post office for delivery later today. This has to be my last locomotive purchase for this year since I have two Museum quality locomotives on order from Scale Trains. The Mrs. is taking my purchases in stride and is actually paying for them out of the checking account instead of asking me using my "Locomotive Stash".

Sherrel: The next door neighbor's son has a turtle that we cared for when they were on a vacation 15 years ago and this turtle just gets bigger and bigger and they have to continue to purchase larger tanks for the critter to accommodate his/her growth and size. Get ready to build turtle shelter number three!!!

Some nice layout photos everyone.

Garry: I like the photo of your COOP. Great structure and I should consider a spot on the layout expansion area for one. Most of the COOP's in Wisconsin are silos set in groups and many are bunched together with competitors within eye sight of each other.

Better get back to my account tracking........................

Later friends......

Greg

##############

1631549910630.png

Good morning from the drenched tundra (not frozen yet) of Wisconsin. Lots of weather action from around 3am to about 30 minutes ago. Yes, we needed the rain but not 3ā€+ in a 7 hour period but better then in an hours time.

Terry went to a grocery store to pick up some baking items. I finished off my sisterā€™s left over daily breakfast. Cinnamon pop tarts that are only in the house while she is visiting. There was one left and my glucose was at 128 before I ate it. I will wait the 2 hours from 9:30 to test again, I am thinking 160, and thatā€™s not good. Tasted great thoughā€¦

Too wet for outdoor stuff and I flew the drone over the trail I was going to walk today, no trees down so that is still possible. Trains, not sure of but the train room for sure.

I need to measure the space for the new slot track and tape it off. The grandson and his dad have agreed that I duplicate the track outside of Austin, The Circuit of the Americas in 3 lanes. It seemed most of the pictures the g/son was sending to me were from the Austin track. So today I will pull the drawings for grandstands, pits, official towers, 3 lane track radius, straights, pit tracks and a few other things. The daughter will be getting instructions for her 3d printer and for the laser. 3 sets of everything as I know these wonā€™t be the last tracks I build even though the last one for the g/kids was supposed to be. Like with the trains, starting from the ground up is the favorite part of the hobbies for me. Ordering the lumber this afternoon, a local quality lumber yard not a box store.

My brother who is on Maui and 5 hours behind Wisconsin called and said 8 packages were received via UPS on Sunday. He will copy the packing lists. He was funny, ā€œyou know your house wonā€™t be done when you get here.ā€ I told him more are coming so make space.

I need to set up the tools in the garage.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Not a lot happening today except it's Patriot's Day.

Not to be pedantic, but it is(was) actually "Patriot Day". "Patriot's Day" is the third Monday of April (April 19 being the actual day) and is related to the American Revolution battles of Lexington and Concord. This is also when the Boston Marathon is run. "Patriot's Day" is a Mass or New England thing.

And back when the IRS had a main processing center for New England in Mass, some years for those who had to mail in their returns to that center, they got an extra day to file their taxes when "Patriot's Day" conflicted with Tax Day. That special case has gone away now that the IRS has changed how and to where you mail your returns.

Good afternoon y'all. Today is a beautiful late summer day, a bit warm but nice.

Terry: The situation with your DIL is sad.

Ken: Definitely going to check out your topic.

I spent some time in the trainroom over the weekend, Mostly working on the 38" of wall that will support the passenger terminal. Not much to show for my efforts yet, mostly just sub assemblies. I think I just came up with the right track plan, two stub tracks in the center, and two through tracks on the outside, (subject to change as I move along).

EB at  Goldsboro PA 4-28-1962 York Haven Line (Rodney Peterson).jpg

Eastbound "Yorkie" YE-2 at Goldsboro, PA April 28, 1962..
Exchange Place, Jersey City 1954 - RRPicturearchives.net.jpg

Exchange Place station, Jersey City, NJ 1954. Lower Manhattan is in the background to the right

Well, howdy there, internet MRR People.

It's Troy again.

Coffee and a plate of bacon today, Flo. Wake Mel up, the 6 am rush is about to hit.

Yesterday, I chose to make just another day out of. The long-ongoing trauma of 2020 and early 2021 was enough for me to deal with. As much as I care about, and remember the morning of 9/11, I really didn't want to deal with remembered trauma on top of the last 1.5 years.

So I threw myself into editing my current book. The Editor had promised it to my on Friday. She's usually pretty good on making those morning appointments. But, she's in Hawaii, and the 6 hour time difference means I get it early afternoon.

She made Friday... Hawaiian time. 23:00-ish Hawaiian time. So I got the book Saturday morning.

Yesterday was supposed to be game day at the club, but I'm about to be down in Florida for an author convention. So all the work that could comfortably get done in 2 weeks is being crammed into one week.

Sixteen hours of editing and rewriting later (OK, I took an hour to visit the game store and explain why I'm not there longer, and had an hour for dinner and a walk around the neighborhood) it's "done" and sent out to the beta reader team.

Today, I'm hoping for some hobby time. I have some Scots to finish from the dark ages, and some of those terrain pieces to paint and flock. then there are undead skeletons and vampires to assemble and paint.

I'm currently keeping an eye on some STL files of creepy castles and mansions that could be used on both the gaming table with my undead army, and on the train table. Since they have a halloween spooky feel to them, I'm hoping the designer will drop the price for the holiday soon.

Which gives me a thought? Anyone on here swap out buildings and figures on your layout for the various holidays? I'm debating Halloween/Spooky scenes, then some Christmas/Yule style stuff. Cupid might show in Feb... and perhaps some Redcoat vs Ungrateful Colonial reenactors in 1:160 scale in July...
I do an xmas thememost christmas
69FD9990-5AF2-44FB-96A6-C8F7CFC3A336.jpeg

FFAE4B43-2CA6-4E30-B443-EAF232600718.jpeg

Harry Potter one year
Dr Who another
23BF28B0-A1D6-46F5-A853-53B93D7D566D.jpeg

Punks another

13179134-25DC-4D2E-B9C1-6E72D2C5BF78.jpeg

earlier decade
D76E7533-A797-4800-8EDE-EA6F3E3DF81C.jpeg

Last edited:
What is the reason for the different colors on the inside of the HDPE corrugated pipe.
I know the process of how to do this, it's known as co-extrusion; and I know why the outside is different colors, orange for electrical conduit for example. But I am not exactly sure about the inside. I believe that I either heard or read somewhere that it actually identifies the manufacturer of the pipe.

Morning all,

Partly cloudy an 70Ā° this morning.

Feeling a bit under the weather this morning, muscle aches and general fuzziness, like when you have a fever. I got the 2nd Shingrex yesterday after work, so I think that's what it is. Only got the first one because the wife wanted me too. I never presented when I had the chicken pox years ago, so AFAIK I never had them, although antibody tests say I have. Also the Dr. recommended I get them while insurance pays for them as they are problematic on Medicare. I'm still a few years so I did. That will probably delay my flu shot as I didn't take one when I got my shot yesterday.

Oh well, not much yet going on this morning.

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 67Ā°. Nothing new in the forecast. It looks like the tropical storm Nicholas is not going to affect us here, sometimes they do, it made landfall to far east to bring any rain to this part of Texas.
Heading out early today, around 7:30 for my wife's second cataract surgery in her other eye. Since most places are not open that early, I'll just sit in the lobby and nap!

Quick one this morning Flo, just a bear claw and OJ.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding the bar pictures yesterday; Sherrel, Christian, Gary, Tom O, Hughie, Patrick, Chad, Karl, Joe, Rick, Tom, Steve J, Garry.

I picked out another mini-project on the layout yesterday. I have this blank spot in Charlottesville between Merchant's Row IV and a scratchbuilt Pikestuff factory.
IMG_7686.JPG

Looks like a good location for the recently built Dry Goods store.
IMG_7687.JPG

I managed to get the parking lot for the factory and the alley for the MR IV done yesterday.
IMG_7689.JPG

That's it for now, gotta go.
Everybody have a great day.

Patrick: Wife had a reaction to the second shot. I should get the series, but I'm not crazy about it. Medicare pays for the shot under part D, (Prescription Plan), but not if administered in a Doctor's office. [The power of someone's lobby].

Good morning. Had a sudden wind storm come up shortly before eleven, last night. No rain, no lightning, no warnings, just a sudden wind.

Tom: No answer to your question, perhaps grading?

Have an appointment with my primary doctor today, just the regular quarterly visit.

Oxford PA 1948 (David H Cope).jpg

David Cope photo of the PRR Gas car making its stop at Oxford, PA in 1947. From what I can find out, train ran between Wawa and Perryville, Md. via the Octororo Branch and the Columbia and Port Deposit Branch. Train was discontinued in 1948.

Princeton jct 1956.jpg

Eastward and Westward passenger trains at Princeton, Jct. NJ in 1956

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back