Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
Mikey - The 'hack' looks very good, but, I can't see it would be angle parked like that in real life, blocking pedestrian flow of those poor people. I'm thinking it would be parallel parked, or down the alley a-bit more.
We placed the hack so that it would look like the vehicle was coming out of the alley. If people do not perceive it as simulating movement, we will reposition it.
I really like the bridge picture and will try to model the trees piled up on the pilings.

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
While watching SEC football today, I have been multi tasking. I transferred some photos from my phone to my computer so they are large enough for me to see details.
I decided to add some bird houses to the On30 layout.
Here are two pictures to show what I came up with; it is a detail I have not seen on any layouts.

Attachments

• 8.31 3.JPG
    8.31 3.JPG
    731.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 8.31 4.JPG
    8.31 4.JPG
    468.5 KB · Views: 78

TrucTrain55

Another Cambell kit building moved to my current layout from the old one is the shed in the foreground in this picture. Other buildings in the photo are the CO-OP grain elevator and shed next to it which I scratch built just for this scene. The stock pens are from Walthers, and the corrugated steel office building behind was an old Suydam kit I put together for this scene.

48266286236_5512fe6cea_k.jpg
Garry. Your stock yards look awesome great job on those Campbell kits too. I also like the loafing sheds you put on the sides for the cattle

McLeod

Forest Lurker
Hi, again!

Today, while walking the dog, I observed a Red Squirrel hanging up mushrooms in white pine branches. If the squirrel is decorating the Christmas tree already, then you gotta know the snows are-a-coming.
I also watched that same squirrel knocking pine cones down to the ground for collection and storage in a tree-hole somewhere. These are all signs that modeling season will soon be upon us.

The Canadians have always been there for the USA except for the last 5 years..
Fear not, my American friend. If you are in need, the vast majority of Canadians will stand right beside you. Blame not the people for the folly of the unfit.
I'll share my goose with you!
CanGoose_04-05-2021.jpg

troyphoto

Snarky Old Fart (in training)
Well, howdy there, internet MRR People.

It's Troy again.

Coffee and a plate of bacon today, Flo. Wake Mel up, the 6 am rush is about to hit.

Yesterday, I chose to make just another day out of. The long-ongoing trauma of 2020 and early 2021 was enough for me to deal with. As much as I care about, and remember the morning of 9/11, I really didn't want to deal with remembered trauma on top of the last 1.5 years.

So I threw myself into editing my current book. The Editor had promised it to my on Friday. She's usually pretty good on making those morning appointments. But, she's in Hawaii, and the 6 hour time difference means I get it early afternoon.

She made Friday... Hawaiian time. 23:00-ish Hawaiian time. So I got the book Saturday morning.

Yesterday was supposed to be game day at the club, but I'm about to be down in Florida for an author convention. So all the work that could comfortably get done in 2 weeks is being crammed into one week.

Sixteen hours of editing and rewriting later (OK, I took an hour to visit the game store and explain why I'm not there longer, and had an hour for dinner and a walk around the neighborhood) it's "done" and sent out to the beta reader team.

Today, I'm hoping for some hobby time. I have some Scots to finish from the dark ages, and some of those terrain pieces to paint and flock. then there are undead skeletons and vampires to assemble and paint.

I'm currently keeping an eye on some STL files of creepy castles and mansions that could be used on both the gaming table with my undead army, and on the train table. Since they have a halloween spooky feel to them, I'm hoping the designer will drop the price for the holiday soon.

Which gives me a thought? Anyone on here swap out buildings and figures on your layout for the various holidays? I'm debating Halloween/Spooky scenes, then some Christmas/Yule style stuff. Cupid might show in Feb... and perhaps some Redcoat vs Ungrateful Colonial reenactors in 1:160 scale in July...

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Good morning. the reporting weather station is offline currently. I can tell you it's cooler than the surface of the sun, there's no snow on the ground, and it's still dark.
There was more discussion about the daughter in law's condition late yesterday evening. She has been declared to have been in this condition for now 8 days. On day 30, a decision will be made, if she hasn't improved. Her prognosis is very bleak--at best. Our son is having to face the impending fact that in about 20 days, he will become a widower. And to pile even more on him, his friend, and direct supervisor at work died from covid Friday. The son is planning to take a long weekend next week, and come up here to see both us, and his wife's parents. He says he's not going to be able to stay at work, when every day all he's going to see is his boss's empty chair sitting next to him, and he's not going to be able to live where he is, all he's going to see is where his wife isn't. His current plans, which both his in laws and we have been trying to help with, is to move up here, where he still has some semblance of family. His in laws own a campground, and I'm going to take a few days off, and take the company truck down and pick up their (soon to be his) fifth wheel trailer, and take it to the campground for him to temporarily live in.
If it seems we are all being a little premature in all these decisions, we really aren't. The doctors have in so many words told us the chances of our daughter in law coming out of this in any meaningful form approach zero, and they are currently only following procedures and local laws regarding the situation. While there's a chance she can simply open her eyes, and ask everybody what they're staring at, we all know she is lost.

CambriaArea51

Which gives me a thought? Anyone on here swap out buildings and figures on your layout for the various holidays? I'm debating Halloween/Spooky scenes, then some Christmas/Yule style stuff. Cupid might show in Feb... and perhaps some Redcoat vs Ungrateful Colonial reenactors in 1:160 scale in July...
I guess If you had a small area that you could do that and had it on foam that you could replace that section with a winter scene, summer, and fall would be different. A small section of houses say 4-6.

MilwRoader_Steve

Greetings all,

The day-to-day problems seem so trifling when others have huge burdens. Very sad, Terry, very sad.

New refrigerator and dishwasher finally showed yesterday per rescheduled date. Sales rep at Home Despot had mentioned the very remote possibility that we might need a local (i.e. 'in the room') shut off valve in the water/ice maker line to the fridge and possible a separate shut-off valve to the dishwasher supply line. Nor was my ice-maker supply line the approved type of plastic. Mumble, mumble.

Well, no 'possibly' to it - - had to be there. Guy was nice as could be about it, but they and 'corporate' weren't budging. So they left the new units in the garage and I went to hardware store. Wasn't too hard. I got a new 1/4 turn shut-off 3/8" compression MxF to put on the combo shut-off. The combo shut-off was a cool idea back in the day - but progress, progress. By Combo, I meant that it sits on the hot-water supply and has one hand-wheel (and hence one valve stem) and two outlets: one to the dishwasher and one to the hot water side of the kitchen sink faucet. Apparently, somewhere, that is no longer to code.

Wasn't too bad a job, just access under the sink and behind the disposal required the necessary contortionism. Seems silly to have a shut-off valve literally threaded onto a shut-off valve, but there you go, I now have a separate shut-off to the dishwasher supply. Crikey. Tackled that one first as I figured it would be toughest on this 61 yo body. But not too bad, and no leaks first time. Might be a record. Compression fitting are nice to work with.

Ice-maker line wasn't too bad, either. Got two pre-made 8 foot lengths and one brass 1/4" compression in-line valve. Toughest part was having to cut off one end with the pre-made fitting to get the hose through the hole in the floor. But had another ring and nut, and that all worked, too, no leaks.

All told, with the run to the hardware store (only one run, which is quite unusual for me!) took just over two hours and , voila, I am now up to code. Just wish I had been told exactly that this was necessary - - I had weeks and weeks I could have done it. Supposedly, we have access to "express" installation, but dealing with backed-up corporate, I ain't holding my breath. I foresee several calls to HD customer service line to get this job completed.

So no train time, yesterday. Now that it is finally fall-ish weather, I am getting to the chores needed before the frosts. It was just so blasted hot this summer. If you're still reading, thanks for your time and attention. Like I said - - minor stuff compared to dying DILs, and cancer battles.

Steve J

TrucTrain55

Good Morning all. Coffee and Waffles Flo.

Terry. Still praying and I think so too it would be best your son is around his parents. I lost my parents way too soon many days I wish they were here to help me find answers.

Tom. Your Family Lines Hopper’s look great you did a nice job on them

I got a little time yesterday evening at the layout and made a video for you guys. Have a great day and enjoy life.

TLOC

Good morning. the reporting weather station is offline currently. I can tell you it's cooler than the surface of the sun, there's no snow on the ground, and it's still dark.
There was more discussion about the daughter in law's condition late yesterday evening. She has been declared to have been in this condition for now 8 days. On day 30, a decision will be made, if she hasn't improved. Her prognosis is very bleak--at best. Our son is having to face the impending fact that in about 20 days, he will become a widower. And to pile even more on him, his friend, and direct supervisor at work died from covid Friday. The son is planning to take a long weekend next week, and come up here to see both us, and his wife's parents. He says he's not going to be able to stay at work, when every day all he's going to see is his boss's empty chair sitting next to him, and he's not going to be able to live where he is, all he's going to see is where his wife isn't. His current plans, which both his in laws and we have been trying to help with, is to move up here, where he still has some semblance of family. His in laws own a campground, and I'm going to take a few days off, and take the company truck down and pick up their (soon to be his) fifth wheel trailer, and take it to the campground for him to temporarily live in.
If it seems we are all being a little premature in all these decisions, we really aren't. The doctors have in so many words told us the chances of our daughter in law coming out of this in any meaningful form approach zero, and they are currently only following procedures and local laws regarding the situation. While there's a chance she can simply open her eyes, and ask everybody what they're staring at, we all know she is lost.

So, so sad. Life has never been fair and this is just another example. My brother with his first wife went through something similar and had to pull the plug that supported her. Yes, she went to a better place as will your DIL but my brother and your son will be going through hell for awhile. Make sure his support network is there to help him as he will be needing it.

You are not rushing things, don’t worry about that.

TomO

McLeod

Forest Lurker
Good Morning!
Pitter patter, the rains don't matter. The dog needs to be walked in any weather. I believe we have had more rain over this passing night, than we have seen here for the entire summer. - That's good! Douse the forest fires and replenish the rivers. Well done, Mother!

I'm not going to be in here very long; just long enough to empty my cup. There are things happening in here that I am so sad about and powerless to help with, except through extending a prayer. History tells me I'm not all that good at sending prayers; bad things always seem to happen anyway.
It's important to talk about bad things, though. It's important to know you have friends out there that truly do care. - Keep the lines open.

For the sake of the modeling community, who might find some useful tidbit in my prototype pics, I leave this photo of a pair of engines going home after a full day of work:
CN 2220 - 5725_09-09-2021 (4) .jpg

Someone once told me there's just another hill over that hill you are climbing. I believe that is only partly true; sooner or later you are going to climb the hill that has the beauty of heaven on the other side.

TLOC

Good morning from the south deck in my little part of Wisconsin. It is 69f degrees heading to 75 today. It’s already very humid.

Verona both the city and town have a portion of the Ironman competition riding the bikes through the main roads including the county highway in front of my driveway entrance. I will put down a couple chairs and clap for those crazies as they seem to fly by. I think right now they maybe be finishing the 1st stage which is swimming I think 2 miles. The bike is 112 miles and the marathon run to finish.

There is a massive soccer (football to our Euro friends) about a mile away. Its tournament time and it has been really crowded sinceThursday afternoon. I can hear the cheering from the deck.

Football Sunday. After 4 years of basically ignoring Sunday pro football I will try to watch. The Packers for sure and maybe something else. I know the politics and other crap have kept me away, mainly millionaires saying they are treated like slaves. But I loved pro football at one time, maybe I can get interested again. We shall see.

I applied another layer of grasses to the expanded part of the layout. Today I might plant some trees and bushes beyond the ROW.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.