Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there internet peeps.

Thought I'd share supper -

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 7.20.01 PM.png

Wings cooked on the kamado joe with the slo-roller for good smoke.

Now, I'm not a big chicken fan, but I'm trying to branch out and cook more than steaks and burgers

Tossed these in Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ sauce.

Afterward, wife made apple crisp, which we had a la mode.

Kinda makes up for burning my arm on the grill (stupid move, minor 1st degree - but ouch!) when I was reaching past it.

applecrisp.jpg

Morning all,

67° and clear this morning in my part of Doo-Dah. Supposed to get to 98° today with feels like of 102°. It was 99° yesterday (100+ today) and last year they had 1/2" of snow on September 9th. Why can't we have that????

Terry: Continued prayers for your daughter-in-law.

Sherrel: Just to show I'm paying attention, you asked about the mid-sized trucks to pull a camper. IMO, you need to figure out what you want in a camper and then buy the tow vehicle accordingly. You may find yourself in a mid-sized truck that isn't really what you want for a tow vehicle. Just because you can. Many people pull a trailer with the wrong vehicle and then get themselves in trouble. As a 2-time Colorado (1st generation) owner, it is a capable vehicle, but I wouldn't pull an 18ft trailer with it. You don't want the trailer at or above the rated weight spec. I find that my mid-sized is right for 95% of what I do with it, but there are times I wish I had a bigger truck.

Troy: Supper looks good. I don't usually have the time to do stuff like that in the evening anymore.

Last edited:
Good Morning!

Cooler and wet outside; gonna rain for couple of days. It's a good day to build the wife's indoor plant stand that she wants, so she can have a place to winter her plants. - Our front room with the tall south facing windows, becomes the greenhouse every winter. It gets hard to move around in there due to the number of plants all over the place. But, that's her ball game; I don't interfere.

I'm just going to have a coffee and be on my way. It's important to me to leave a couple of photos on the table, though.
I took these yesterday out of the truck window, as I was driving down highway 43. They show a couple of large engines being used as switchers to deliver closed hoppers to the silica plant. The photo quality is poor because the truck was moving when I snapped the photos.
SilicaPlant_09-09-2021 (1).JPG

SilicaPlant_09-09-2021 (2).JPG

I knew those engines would have to cross the river after they delivered the hoppers. So I drove to a vantage point and waited for them, getting some better photos. I'll share those at a later date.

Right now, I feel like doing something; so I'm outta here. Have a good one!

Good Morning Everybody. Clear and 63°, wind gusts of 0 mph out of the SE! How can they tell the direction at 0 mph? The forecast is for 94° again today, but yesterday it only made 89°. Blah! I don't expect the pool temperature to rise back above 78° any more this season, so I have to prepare it for winterization. Well, I got 3 1/2 months of use this year, which is about average. Even though the days will be nice and warm for a while more, the sun's angle and length of time it is shining will not be enough to warm the water much above the 77° attained yesterday. Some years, it will stay warm until October but it can't cool down this much this early in order to do that.

I wish to thank everybody for the well wishes on our anniversary yesterday, I think that we might just reach 50 next year.

Busy day yesterday with the grocery trek and other stops in the morning, followed by lunch/nap. Then some household tasks and the dinner out at the Texas Roadhouse last night. Review: We have only been to one Texas Roadhouse before, on our way through Shreveport LA. Food was excellent but the place was quite raucous and noisy. Well the one in Denton TX was no different. We had an excellent waiter, but he was obviously rushing us through as there were a lot of folks waiting outside for tables. Salads came before we were done with appetizer, entree came before we were done with the salads. I had an excellent 16 oz rib-eye, while my wife had a very good chicken-fried chicken. Salads were also great. Appetizer's were so-so, beer & Margarita's were also great. Opinion: The noise level was just too much for us, maybe Sunday lunch would be better, but we probably won't go back anyway; there's just too many other choices available in Denton.

Thanks as always for the likes and comments regarding my mini-project post yesterday; Steve, Steve J, Sherrel, Patrick, Garry, Tom O, Christian, Gary, Hughie, Guy, Chad, Troy, Tom, Karl, Rick.

Light breakfast today Flo, Just a toasted English Muffin and an tall OJ.

I didn't have enough time in the train shed yesterday to accomplish much. It's not much but it is a progress update. Here are the fence pieces painted and the first piece being test-fitted.
IMG_7618.JPG

IMG_7619.JPG

Sherrel - No Italian last night, see above. Just trying to broaden our horizons a bit. Just as you asked about ASH PIT, he posted yesterday. Over the yeas, I have observed that he doesn't visit the forum during the summer, too busy sailing.
Garry - I like the Tichy fencing. It's easy to work with, realistic and moderately priced. I discovered it quite by accident at the LHS one day; I never expected fencing from them. It provides a nice variety to the "miles" of fence that I need.
Guy - The thing about anniversary's is that it is always "her anniversary", never "our anniversary". :rolleyes:
Even your "poor" photos look all right to me. At least no utility poles! ;)
Patrick -
Supposed to get to 98248 today
is that a temperature or a zip code?

I'm real pleased to see some returning faces here in the Coffee Shop; Lee a couple of days ago, and Dave and Mikey yesterday. Like someone mentioned earlier this week, I hope that Joe survived Ida's devastation. As I recall, his driveway slopes down to his house. I know that Ken (in Maryland) is busy preparing his layout for some type of public display. Who knows who might be next to show up? Bruce (new guy)???

Everybody have a great day. It's almost Saturday. Stay safe.

Last edited:
Sherrel - No Italian last night, see above. Just trying to broaden our horizons a bit. Just as you asked about ASH PIT, he posted yesterday. Over the yeas, I have observed that he doesn't visit the forum during the summer, too busy sailing.
Garry - I like the Tichy fencing. It's easy to work with, realistic and moderately priced. I discovered it quite by accident at the LHS one day; I never expected fencing from them. It provides a nice variety to the "miles" of fence that I need.
Guy - The thing about anniversary's is that it is always "her anniversary", never "our anniversary". :rolleyes:
Even your "poor" photos look all right to me. At least no utility poles! ;)
Patrick -

is that a temperature or a zip code?

I'm real pleased to see some returning faces here in the Coffee Shop; Lee a couple of days ago, and Dave and Mikey yesterday. Like someone mentioned earlier this week, I hope that Joe survived Ida's devastation. As I recall, his driveway slopes down to his house. I know that Ken (in Maryland) is busy preparing his layout for some type of public display. Who knows who might be next to show up? Bruce (new guy)???

Everybody have a great day. It's almost Saturday. Stay safe.
What's going on here ? I'm a bit lost...:oops:

Good morning, it’s cloudy and 69.
For the dog problem, there is no training that will help. She will forget in about 5 minutes because of her dementia. I can’t put up any gates or blocks because that would also block my wife from access.
yes good points, I would suggest a dog nappy…..but I suspect the clean up after would be worse than the usual and thee is the potential she might tear it off making a slip hazard,is there a room you can mostly corner her in poor thing, I can see why you stuck with her, she is adorable, she and your wife are very lucky, you have the patience of a loving saint.

View attachment 132236 I can read English but much slower than you...
I think it is obvious you read English you are here lol, I think the French version was just it might sabe you precious time reading in your home language, plus if you then shared it with a French friend who was not as good as English then it would likely be more useful,you could try to get the wife involved……it has happened….grins

Morning internet RR peeps!

MIKEY - Good to See you back. The Model T ford looks great - nice build.
JAZ - Thanks for the notes on potatoes and tomatoes. I will make use of them for sure!
TERRY - Your cup over floweth -- & it's not all "goodness and mercy"!
WILLIE - Congraats on the 49. Gonna go Italian again?
DAVE - Great to see you back. Got any plans for that piece of rail? Maybe an outdoor 1:1 layout, lol.
I have noticed that everything seems to be heavier these days - even a 5 gal can of gasoline.

I wonder where 'ASH PIT' went too? Haven't seen or heard from him for a long time?

Morning FLO - A couple of those egg, sausage, and cheese soft tacos with a DP, please.

Got the RV back yesterday afternoon - will unload it this morning if I can get moving before the temp gets hot!
We have been bumping 100 the past few days even with the guessers saying 95-96? They have been off every day this month, We had another fire a little south of us a few days back - about 4 miles. That's close enough - smoke was very bad as the wind was spot on.

Why don't I have a "strikeout" key????
I missed something, I thought the other half sold the RV, you were gonna sell her best earrings - rather then strangle her - did I misunderstand, did you undo the sale……is it Groundhog Day…?….grins…but still confused…sorry I missed the relevant post.

View attachment 132196

I only keep one circle of track (19"). I don't want to have some sort of "suicide layout" if you see what I mean.

View attachment 132195
I think someone already recommended a finish to stop the train exiting, bendable plastic that you can see through, photograph through will likely help here and stop suicide trains, I have seen people incorporate 2d scenery on such product, but never photographed it.

Morning all,

Coffee this morning and a stack of blueberry pancakes with bacon. Thanks Flo!

Clear and 60° in my part of Doo-Dah this morning. Lost another auction overnight. I'm beginning to think I'm too cheap. I set a price in my mind and don't usually add to it and the stuff gets IMO ridiculously high for what it is. Oh well, fall train show here in 2 weeks, so maybe I can pick up some goodies there, if I go. I haven't been to one since the beginning of the pandemic.
You may or May not be ‘cheap’ but when you win you’ll get a bargain, if you won all the time then you were too high!
Hint if you go out in public where there is a lot of people, brush teeth and gargle with an alcohol based mouthwash eg Listerine…..I do not think real alcohol has the same effect lol, but the listerine claims to kill germs for upto 12 hours, if it does not stop you getting Covid at least you have clean teeth when the ambulance comes……

Good morning. It's clear and 53.
My daughter in law has been moved to the hospital where she works, in hope she will get better care there. It is a teaching hospital, and they have more experience with the issues she's having.
Fingers crossed, hopefully amongst co workers and friends she will get a little bit of extra attention, i for one would not begrudge a hospital worker getting a quick track on treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back