Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a good way to end a day even though I didn't get home until midnight.

Attachments

• IMG_20210907_204244602.jpg
    IMG_20210907_204244602.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 77
First of all Dave, welcome back. 7" high rail approximates to code 83 in HO, which is equivalent to "132 lb" rail. That's 132 lbs/yd, thus 44 lbs/ft. That makes your piece approximately 205#.
Thanks Willie. Sure felt heavier than that but I guess all things get heavier as we age. I have noticed that they are now putting 90# of concrete in a 60# bag. ....... Back to mowing.

I have let "life" get in the way of enjoying this forum for the last few months.

I am still working on building a storage shed with my son in law. He has recently had knee surgery and the rest of the family have had covid, so that construction over there has been very erratic. Mostly, whatever I could do by myself.
While paused from the shed, I started laying a laminated floor in the master bath of the lake trailer, by myself. I can only work on my knees for about 2 hours, so it is slow going.
Other family health issues and doctor visits have required my attention on many other many days.

In and around all the other things, I managed to start and complete a INTER-ACTION kit for a 1911Ford Model T Depot Hack to go on the club On30 layout. It has a 12 page instruction book that guides you pretty well. Cutting out the VERY thin laser cut parts required the most care.
Of course, waiting for the paint and glue to dry took over two weeks. A 1911 vehicle in the 1930's must be weathered as in the last two pictures.
I remembered to take a few pictures along the way. Willie, your project posts are a great inspiration!

Attachments

• 1 On30 kit.jpg
    1 On30 kit.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 2 On30 truck.jpg
    2 On30 truck.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 3 On30 truck 8.15.21.jpg
    3 On30 truck 8.15.21.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 4 On30 truck 8.19.21.jpg
    4 On30 truck 8.19.21.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 5 On30 final.jpg
    5 On30 final.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 6 1911 model T depot hack weathered.jpg
    6 1911 model T depot hack weathered.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 7 1911 model T depot hack rear.jpg
    7 1911 model T depot hack rear.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 75
Good evening. It’s thunderstorming and 70.
Today has been yet another “one of those days”. Rather than drag everybody down with me, I’ll just pass on the highlights.
Results are pending for daughter in law’s EEG.
The sales department at work is trying to kill me with confusion.
The hospital where I went to the ER three weeks ago seems to have streamlined their billing process, bypassing sending out bills, and proceeding directly to the collection phase.

Went to club after work to try and chase that power issue on our main. Of course it chose to hide again.. so I did some other poking around.

Clever old president didn't even install our Digitrax UP5's as panels, he used them as junction blocks for the loconet! Whaaat. I'm really surprised at how versatile these things are.
IMG_20210905_195012140.jpg

You DC legacy guys should be familiar with some of this wiring. We started as a DC layout decades ago and switched to Digitrax around 2013. Most of the old DC block wiring is still there. Some of this is also wiring for building lights now. Take note of the very neat wiring though! Jim was a master electrician, being a GE engineer for about 40 years. I'm convinced that the electrical was his hobby, not the trains.

IMG_20210905_195534443.jpg

After time under a big layout, I went home and worked on my module. Happy to say my feeder wires work and I was able to run a loco on the thing, finally! I also glued the track down tonight. Fingers crossed!IMG_20210908_230945531.jpg
IMG_20210909_000248728.jpg

Jaz- If I had all that stuff in my yard it would last about a year as the deer would feast on all that stuff including the branches. Whatever was left the rabbits would finish off in winter.
We have rabbits, buggers damage small trees, and try to sneak into the allotments,we have deer but muntjac so usually not more than one female, plus maybe a bay and perhaps a hopeful male, we had roe but only a mother and her baby then as it grew up a second baby then nothing, we are in the middle of farm land so big game needs bullet proof jackets or it’s dinner,we have had deer damage too but the trees so far win hands down
D5B5651F-A9B6-4DDC-BD51-32C8443D3649.jpeg
540D502F-B74B-40C2-A5C9-5B7458DCC211.jpeg
EF2D51F1-255B-4DC7-ACA4-09581B956DE9.jpeg
BCF0D2B1-A514-43CB-AF76-87ED686C266F.jpeg

Disguise it with a few OO people-no one will suspect! It's too nice a truck kit not to use!
OTOH, I would still use it even with HO people. The angle you give there doesn't look bad? at least in my eyes?

GUY - Your potato pic took me back to my childhood when my father had a pretty large garden.
He would have at least 4-5 bushels of potatoes which he stored in a large shed - along with mom's canning and everything else. My point is that we had potatoes for months!
The potatoes I buy in the store here seem to go soft after a couple weeks? Explain?
The earlier comment over soft potatoes has validity,
1. Do not store in plastic, instead use paper and cardboard and ventilation, as for chitting but lower temperature, or the best way of all is in soil, as long as there is no bugs to eat them, stored in old vegetable boxes, the cardboard type and news paper etc, you need humidity 80 percent to stop shrivelling and low temp to avoid sprouting, and do not store near onions or fruit, apples etc ripen other fruit
as an aside if you have too many green tomatoes, and do not want to make chutney,lay them in a fruit box with newspaper, and cover to stop fly access a cotton sheet or something old ruined table cloth, and put ripe apples with them,check everyday,remove ripe or going rotten,and the tomatoes turn red slowly,if not eating then freeze immediately in a container as they come through until sufficient for cooking.
back to potatoes, you can also put an old plastic toy box out in the ground, add sand and store potatoes there, the ground like a root cellar will keep them at a decent temp, but as with the tomatoes check them say once a week and use or remove any not up to snuff, once you leave one bad one in their or get flies and do not bother to check then you have a big problem.

Good evening. It's 70, and mostly dark.

I'm starting to get extremely frustrated at our dog, who has decided her bathroom is wherever she feels the urge. She's also deaf, so yelling at her does nothing.
I've spoken to the vet, and the vet says it's just part of having an older dog. Umm, an older dog with dementia, severe arthritis, several tumors, and extreme incontinence.... I'm not one to give up easily, but the quality of life for the dog, as well as me having to take care of her, clean up puddles and piles every five minutes, along with dealing with my wife's issues, has me ready to scream.
Oh, let's not forget my employer who insisted I have the hospital bill me directly for my workers comp injuries for him to reimburse, who hasn't paid a dime yet. And the hospital hasn't bothered sending me a bill, only emails demanding payment. "just log in to your account and pay your bill using credit, debit, or e-check from your bank account"...
I'd run away to join the circus, but I feel like I'm already there.
Oh man that’s really bad, can yo u block off the doors to a room or two where cleaning up is on Lino not carpet, by putting wood or a second hand child gate that stops the dog going everywhere, perhaps keeping it to the kitchen near the back door, and praising it when it cleans up outside, I know it seems bad but perhaps rubbing its nose in it when it does it wrong like retraining a puppy, there is a horrible argument that it’s standard of living is such that you euthanise, I know that is a heartbreaking decision, one of our labradors got so bad my brother used to carry it down to flights of stairs several times a day to do its business however he was young hale and hearty, and poor Sheba was not and pretty heavy too, I told my dad twi years before she died her quality of life was gone, and I loved her like a baby.maybe put her in a room with a kids sand pit but use soil and hope she gets the hint ie leave some droppings in the correct place, but you know this is not healthy for you, with your wife and your dog you just cannot afford to overlook your own health, how far can you stretch yourself before your own health snaps.it is clear you love that dog that you have kept it well past it’s sell by date - I’m not being cruel here I love dogs I howled like a baby when I had a Doberman put down because his legs had started to fail him, and I was concerned that if it happened over a weekend I would struggle to get a vet to him without him suffering,when the vet came the dog tried walking and his back legs went again I paid extra for her to come to the house so the dog was not stressed, she said the back legs would have gone and he would have been in great pain and I had spared him that, on a good day he could not only walk hell he could run, his muzzle was all grey, my other two recent dobermanns died in their sleep thank god
i feel your pain,but maybe that poor dog deserves a release, and maybe so do you.spend sometime share a nice meal give some attention and love,say goodbye, yes it will hurt,but it sounds like time.usually I would say get a puppy ASAP but I think you need a break and are being overwhelmed by life as it is, do you ever get a bit of you time?
I hope this message does not make you hate me, but I think it had to be said.And I do not think you should feel guilty of euthanasia of the dog, but I know you will we always do.

Morning all,

Coffee this morning and a stack of blueberry pancakes with bacon. Thanks Flo!

Clear and 60° in my part of Doo-Dah this morning. Lost another auction overnight. I'm beginning to think I'm too cheap. I set a price in my mind and don't usually add to it and the stuff gets IMO ridiculously high for what it is. Oh well, fall train show here in 2 weeks, so maybe I can pick up some goodies there, if I go. I haven't been to one since the beginning of the pandemic.

I'm planning to use a bigger circle of track (curve radius: 21"1/4) for my pizza layout. It'll replace the first one (curve radius: 19"). I'll keep only ONE circle of track, of course ! But the new track will be very close to the edge of the benchwork. Is it a good or bad idea ? Thanks for your help.
201.jpg

I only keep one circle of track (19"). I don't want to have some sort of "suicide layout" if you see what I mean.

202.jpg

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and a rather cool 63° to start this day. Still headed into the 90's again later on. Been an unusual summer weather-wise this year. Never reached 100° here, compared to an average of 20 days. Record in 2011 was 71 days! It has also been much wetter until three weeks ago. I think that it reached 100° in Dallas once earlier in July.

My wife and I are celebrating our 49th anniversary today. Can't believe we've put up with each other this long. I guess that I might as well keep her. We'll go out to eat tonight but I am not sure where.

My wife's cataract surgery for the other eye is next Tuesday, her check up yesterday was normal. Despite the anniversary today, we'll be making the grocery/beer trek this morning, still have to eat!

Good Morning Flo. Those blueberry pancakes and bacon that you got for Patrick look good this morning, I'll take the same.

Thanks for the likes and comments for yesterday's post; Steve J, Karl, Tom O, Garry, Patrick, Sherrel, Guy, Chad, Christian, Gary, Hughie, Lee, Tom.

Looked around the train shed yesterday for another mini-project while still thinking about the next big one. I came across this.
IMG_7616.JPG

I worked on this scene almost a year ago, and paused until I could get some fencing for the rear storage area. I got something different than what I have been using about six weeks ago.
IMG_7605.JPG

IMG_7602.JPG

Cut up a few pieces to start.
IMG_7603.JPG

And then glued stuff together.
IMG_7604.JPG

It's all over in the paint booth drying overnight. Note my jig for drilling the fence post holes.

Guy - I've seen your picture of the general store and I think that it is really cool that it still exists, although it is boarded up right now.
Sherrel - Maybe it's a good thing that you're selling the RV. Even that is costing you money.
Christian - Store isn't dangerous at all. John Wayne is perched inside.
Terry - Sad news about your daughter in law. Continued prayers and positive thoughts for her and your whole family, including the doggie.
Mikey - Welcome back to our crazy piece of the world.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all!

Did a bit of train running yesterday evening, but was pretty busy all the day and into an evening meeting. So not much. ANother evening meeting tonight. Tomorrow the tee time is 0804 and a 30 minute drive from the house. So up at 0620, dress and out the door for a breakfast place. When I don't get up with her, wifeykins can sleep in to 0700.

Congratulations, Willie, on the anniversary!!

Terry - continued prayers on your behalf.

Steve - - - don't try to get me into the HO!! I mean it, don't. So stop with the stories and pics, OK? But North Metro is much closer.

Time to run, wishing all y'all the best! - - - Steve J

PS - - - I need to post a tech consult soon for that 4-8-2. Next week should be a bit slower.

Morning internet RR peeps!

MIKEY - Good to See you back. The Model T ford looks great - nice build.
JAZ - Thanks for the notes on potatoes and tomatoes. I will make use of them for sure!
TERRY - Your cup over floweth -- & it's not all "goodness and mercy"!
WILLIE - Congraats on the 49. Gonna go Italian again?
DAVE - Great to see you back. Got any plans for that piece of rail? Maybe an outdoor 1:1 layout, lol.
I have noticed that everything seems to be heavier these days - even a 5 gal can of gasoline.

I wonder where 'ASH PIT' went too? Haven't seen or heard from him for a long time?

Morning FLO - A couple of those egg, sausage, and cheese soft tacos with a DP, please.

Got the RV back yesterday afternoon - will unload it this morning if I can get moving before the temp gets hot!
We have been bumping 100 the past few days even with the guessers saying 95-96? They have been off every day this month, We had another fire a little south of us a few days back - about 4 miles. That's close enough - smoke was very bad as the wind was spot on.

Why don't I have a "strikeout" key????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back