Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning and Howdy there, internet MRR Peeps,

Just a quick cuppa on the way to the grocer this morning. Wife needs the car to drive MIL to some Doc appointments. So I need to get the half-n-half for coffee. It was giving me that "almost past" odor this morning.

Like a politician, when half-n-half goes bad, they do it overnight and ruin everything they touch the next day.

Mid 60s, up to upper 70s today. Rain came through with a colder front last night. So it's froggy out this morning.

Maintenance refilled our pool yesterday (there are four in our condo complex). Something about too much sunscreen oil/lotion getting into the pool and making it too acidic??? so it was a complete drain before the city officials will allow us another month of apply the lotion, then rinsing it off with a two minute dip in the pool.

Waiting on the latest story to get back from my editor. After that it'll be panic editing for a day.

Off to the grocery.

Morning all,

Currently 61° at my location with a high of 84° expected. New IT tech actually starts today as HR had her paperwork for yesterday, but she wanted to get paid for the holiday at her old job, so she had to be there yesterday. So I was rather busy yesterday, as is always the case after a holiday. Still have 40 hours of work to accomplish. Difference between here and the private sector is that I don't usually have to stay late to meet a deadline. There are emergencies that come up, but otherwise in most cases I can go home and finish tomorrow or next week. LOL

Not much else new, supposed to be near 100° in time for me to mow this weekend. Will probably hit state fair traffic heading to the daughter's on Sunday to put up more molding. I haven't been to the fair in years, but I don't really go anywhere anymore anyway. Once I can get the house paid off, I may have some extra cash. I know, I slowed that down with the new to me truck in January, but I would have had to get a loan to pay for the engine replacement on a truck that I really couldn't see putting that kind of money into. I also got ahead of the used vehicle increases as trade-in value is actually higher on the truck than I paid for it in January with another 13,000 miles. So in 8 months I've put 1.5 times the miles it had than when I bought it (just over 21,000 at this time).

Tomo: Sorry to hear you've been exposed to Covid. Idiots are everywhere.

Hello Happy Members ! Hope I'm not too late for saying: Goooooooood Morning !
This morning (it's currently 02:33 PM in France), I bought these bamboo skewers for my switching layout. Now, I'm ready for switching operations !

112.jpg

Greetings Fellow RR-ers,

Back from our get-away weekend. Actually Monday afternoon, but we took another day Tuesday, so no computer. I know I have missed much, but there's no way I can review all the posts - this is a prolific bunch!!

Back to work today, and as always, playing catch-up. Meetings tonight and Thursday night, so probably little train time until Friday or the weekend. - - - - - Steve J

Good Morning Everybody. It's cloudy and 71°, headed up to 92° for the high today. Cool front is supposed to hit in another hour or so and will drop tonight's temperature into the lower 60's. Pool season will most likely end here by mid week next week.
I was able to straighten out my prescription issue with the mail order pharmacy yesterday, it wasn't the medication that they have been providing for years. It was for the glucose test strips that my doctor's office mistakenly sent to them instead of my local pharmacy that normally provides them. Complete idiot at the doctor's office, as it was the local pharmacy that sent them the refill request to begin with!
Headed into town again today to take my wife back to the ophthalmologist for another follow-up review of her cataract surgery. Next week we start over again with the right eye.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Justin, Lee, Gary, Guy, Tom O, Sherrel, Patrick, Christian, Chad, Hughie, Karl, Garry, Tom.

How about just a toasted blueberry English Muffin and a glass of OJ this morning Flo. The shorts are fitting a little tighter this morning.

Another mixed day in the train shed yesterday. Mostly I read the latest issue or MR. There is a mythical Santa Fe layout featured, that a fellow from Indiana built. It's interesting because it uses my locale as it's basis, Denton and Sanger TX along with Dalton Junction on the former Santa Fe line nearby. That junction was recently renamed Alliance Junction by BNSF. All of the industries are made up, and industries have been added to Dalton Junction which is still a large wye interchange in the middle of nowhere. But the scenery is accurate for this area.
Otherwise I scouted locations for the recently built General Store since it just doesn't quite fit where I wanted it to go. I thought about putting it next to the church in Charlottesville.
IMG_7597.JPG

Or on the outskirts of Gainesville between a couple of eateries.
IMG_7596.JPG

Or on an already scenicked lot in Budville next to the switch tower.
IMG_7598.JPG

I have some other locations that are totally undeveloped that I am going to check out next.
Any opinions on these three?

Guy - I don't think that it is unusual for certain specialty vehicles such as your crane truck to be a bit oversized when compared with other vehicles on the road.
Tom O - Sorry to read about the Covid mess, I would be more than pissed. I'll refrain from further comments because it makes me angry.

Today is National Ampersand Day & we all need to recognize this handy little symbol. I read somewhere years ago that it used to actually be the last letter of the alphabet.
Everybody have a great day & stay safe.

Hello from rather chilly So. Central Wisconsin. Terry and I have returned from taking the sister to the airport. My sister is so used to flying Southwest or my brother’s plane that she was in shock when United charged her $80 for her 2 bags. I walked her to the escalators and said good bye. Terry’s friend left when we were heading to the airport.

The house is quiet and the deck at 55f degrees is too cold to be outside, mid 70’s later today.

Flo, a grilled ham and cheese please with a diet Dr Pepper, thanks.

our Covid mess, for those of us who are vaccinated there is no need to quarantine, test or anything else except watch any health changes. The problem is my 2 grandkids are 10 and 7, they are too young for the jab and now need to be tested. The 6 life guards who are the daughter’s neighbors aged 15 and 16 are split, 3 are and 3 are not vaccinated. So after speaking with the health department and our daughter last night the sister kept her flight plans. The kids unvaccinated are staying home from school and will get tested sometime today. Thanks for your comments and concerns. I still don’t understand why if you are asked to stay away if you weren’t vaccinated you lie and come anyway. The couple infected have a 18 month old daughter who my 10year old granddaughter was with all the time they were here.

After last night massive concerns and the ride to the airport this morning I am exhausted. Need to cut the grass out front today. Terry is checking the financials today and I hope to get in the trainroom sometime today.

thanks again
TomO

from yesterday’s storms some hail, at the daughter’s
6266B296-7F66-4F43-9C27-D0705E685022.jpeg

Good Morning!
48f outside this fine morning, headed up to somewhere in the high 60's. The long range says it's going to cool off a couple of degrees everyday for the next while, and the tree leaves are turning. So, I assume it is 'autumn'. - My favorite season. Beautiful landscapes, bug free, and warm enough to really enjoy.

Thankyou for the comments and likes on my simple posts. These posts don't take much time or effort; I just tell the truth about the crap that's happening and plant down a couple of photos. It's the actual modeling and train room reno work that I have trouble finding time for. It seems like I'd rather be running around the countryside taking photos, than sitting at the modeling desk.

What a freaking mess. They were here at the pool party on Saturday and the outside picnic and stuff on Sunday. She also rode with the group on Sunday morning and the stable employees have possibly been exposed. When my SIL called the friend who’s wife tested positive the guy hung up..
Wow, TomO, that seems like a solid way to end a friendship, and I certainly hope it dosen't end under tragic terms. So sorry to hear this type of selfish stupidity might well affect you're family in a negative way. I'd be pissed, too.

Terry - Sad to hear about the pup. I've heard that dogs have a shorter life span than ours, because they spend those years totally trusting and loving us, and don't waste life filled with hate. So they don't need to be around as long as us to try and redeem themselves. They love, always.

Willie - I agree that some heavy-duty vehicles might purposely be made slightly larger than other vehicles around it &, I really like the General Store & it reminds me of the boarded-up General Store that's located in Robb. I posted a photo of that building, not to long ago.

Today's pics tell the story about a train crossing the McLeod River rail bridge. It's kind of the boring story that one only needs to hear once, and they they know it forever.
Just so you know, I looked up the engines. CN 2278 (ES44DC) leading with CN 8918 (SD70-M2) taking up the rear. The rail cars are probably all empty, and the train is being delivered into the local staging area. - I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story:
McLeodRivBrdg_09-07-2021.jpg
McLeodRivBrdg_09-07-2021 (1).jpg
McLeodRivBrdg_09-07-2021 (2).jpg
McLeodRivBrdg_09-07-2021 (3).jpg
McLeodRivBrdg_09-07-2021 (4).jpg

Well, the coffee cup is emptied. Suppose it's time to get on with it.
Have a good one!

Morning from the Wild, Wild West - a series of 92's for a high past and today under a clear sky.
FLO - Just coffee this morning - I have a lot to do and need to get moving.
The dammed RV is still at the mechanics! Got there yesterday morning about 8"30 am because the coach battery was dry due to a burned/shorted solenoid that shares charging power with the main power plant & I could not get the levelers to work - had to run a line to the coach from the house and then Yadda - yadda - yadda!
It was running, but had a check engine light which mechanic could not extinguish showing a lack of communication with the fuel pump module.
Mechanic was trying to trace the wire to the module and managed to get the vehicle where it won't even start - so it is sitting there again this morning?

The Spousal Unit finally got free and picked me up about 3 PM. Now the "thing" is back with the guy who put all those wires back together before. The two businesses are next door to each other.
They have to get it going today as the buyer is planning on picking it up tomorrow and I still have not unloaded it!
I DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE ALL THE STUFF OUT BECAUSE I WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT THE BUYER REALLY WAS GOING TO FOLLOW UP! (Sorry for all the caps- fumble fingers strikes again)

Have I told you how much I HATE RATS/MICE -- they are on my list right up there with Flies, Mosquitoes, Rattlesnakes, & Spiders!
I'll be back when I have time!

Lots of gripes flying, I see. I don't think I'll quell that at all, haha. I don't know if I do this to myself or if I am just the right idiot in the right place at the wrong time.

I moved out of club #2, which I was heavily involved with, joined club #3 which I plan to not be as involved with, and now I keep taking on projects at club #1 (where everything started).

Not severe, but it's stuff like:
1. Converting our old, DC-only custom painted Hennepin Overland fleet to DCC
2. Adding more UP5 jacks for throttles.
3. Now diagnose and fix a three-foot section of dead track on our westbound main, which there is no way to bypass. As we are now open for visitors each weekend of September, this is important.
4. Ongoing, henpecking of scenery as I am able.
5. Club car tuning and repair.

Maybe I need to start gauging interest among the other members to do or learn stuff. Problem is, most guys are elders and scared of the Covid, or have families they need to spend time with. The younger guys are too far away for weeknight trips, and my Trainmaster senior is working nights. Sigh.

Good afternoon. It’s raining & 70.
I’ve gotten some disquieting news about the daughter in law. She is still in ICU, still on a vent, and still not attempting to breath on her own. She is exhibiting no signs of awareness, and the hospital is planning on performing an EEG later today to verify brain activity.
Please keep her in your thoughts.

Lots of gripes flying, I see. I don't think I'll quell that at all, haha. I don't know if I do this to myself or if I am just the right idiot in the right place at the wrong time.

I moved out of club #2, which I was heavily involved with, joined club #3 which I plan to not be as involved with, and now I keep taking on projects at club #1 (where everything started).

Not severe, but it's stuff like:
1. Converting our old, DC-only custom painted Hennepin Overland fleet to DCC
2. Adding more UP5 jacks for throttles.
3. Now diagnose and fix a three-foot section of dead track on our westbound main, which there is no way to bypass. As we are now open for visitors each weekend of September, this is important.
4. Ongoing, henpecking of scenery as I am able.
5. Club car tuning and repair.

Maybe I need to start gauging interest among the other members to do or learn stuff. Problem is, most guys are elders and scared of the Covid, or have families they need to spend time with. The younger guys are too far away for weeknight trips, and my Trainmaster senior is working nights. Sigh.
We have a club in the town I live in, but I've never been. I've talked with the president at a train show and their DCC only. I currently have no interest in DCC, so I'm not a member. They expect the member to be there twice a week with dues every time. I think the city gave them free reign on the building as they are in the old Public Safety portion of City Hall. I do know that they were once the Wichita Model RR Club and when rent got too high, they found a new home 20 miles away. I'm interested in seeing what you're doing, even if it's not DC.

I am very much a layman and electrical is not my forte at all, but I'd be happy to show what I do know.

My personal experiences with being a member of three different clubs says, investigate the truth of being a member at that club if you're interested. I heard lots of rumors about mine before I joined them. Incorrect dues rates, rumors about people being jerks, etc. Worth finding out for yourself.
We have a club in the town I live in, but I've never been. I've talked with the president at a train show and their DCC only. I currently have no interest in DCC, so I'm not a member. They expect the member to be there twice a week with dues every time. I think the city gave them free reign on the building as they are in the old Public Safety portion of City Hall. I do know that they were once the Wichita Model RR Club and when rent got too high, they found a new home 20 miles away. I'm interested in seeing what you're doing, even if it's not DC.

Good Day Gentlemen
It's been a long time since I had anything worth posting here. Been a busy 6 months and had to put the railroad aside for a while. Fences to repair, RV to repair, concrete to pour, and just the usual everyday maintenance on acreage. I DO read all the widsom & wit every morning or at least look at the pics. I had to hit the pause button in the train room mostly because of poor planning and poor modeling skills but soon I hope to get back at it and figure a solution. In the meantime, I aquired a section of rail from a neighbor that is 4'8.5" long.Coincidence? 7" high. Anyone know how many Lbs/ft on this? (see pic) Also, it is heavy so I bought a tractor to lift it with. (see pic) Also on June 30, I completed 69 spins around the sun and also RETIRED for the 4th and final time. I think. This summer has been brutal, many 100+* days, smoke, fires, the usual for N Calif. Life goes on. Here's a few pics and the last one is where I left off with the Union Sugar Mill.
IMG_0916 (1).jpg
IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0513.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back