Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, lots of work around the house to do as you all know but at least started on my foam mountain side. Sawing that foam is dirty work as you all have noted before. I need new rail joiners and will start on my two mainline tracks this week. Foam roadbed is done for the mainlines at least.

Took another day trip down to Lunenburg yesterday for some oysters that we were craving and to see the lottery home and cottage. Great meal and seats at the half shell restaurant overlooking the harbour.
View attachment 131994
View attachment 131995

View attachment 132000
and the main course, shared a lobster roll and seafood tower, clams, scallops, lobster, shrimp and of course more oysters !
View attachment 132001

and finally myself…..lol
View attachment 132002
OO who complained about me with a burger and pancakes….look at THAT lot I would everything except the oysters…cannot keep them down far too salty…..yum yum. I MAY HAVE TO DIET AFTERWARDS FOR A FEW DAYS…BUT OH SO WORTH IT.

Are there humans on this forum ? I don't see any of them...Maybe I'm wrong. :oops::rolleyes:o_O
Lots and lots
EC3EE008-6B22-414F-9C3D-26DDCD405DD1.jpeg

A7011414-095E-4025-A822-7722C2EF06AF.jpeg
C13728FA-5CB6-4F9E-8DC8-0DCFE2BD0574.jpeg
504250B0-18D1-46AA-8FA7-15985346229B.jpeg
F31C1ECD-7487-4AFD-B70D-195662F7AB04.jpeg
7B15D9E8-A6A2-4FB6-AE5D-989CC6688DAA.jpeg

as real as you and me…..grins.

Nice tree removal and I like that John Deere with a bucket.
It's an 2003 X595. The loader is quite handy that's for sure.
Is area 50.5 worse and creepier than area 51? :eek: 👽 🤑
Area 52 is worse and creeper.
It hurts when you have to take out a tree. My place was a hay field when we built and we have many mature trees. We did have a pine that was diseased, but we found someone that saved it.
Chet- My lot was a hay field also. These trees can't be saved I talked with many tree experts and the local co op.

Good afternoon. A nice warm day with temps in the low 80's and a lot less smoke than we have neen having from the western widlfires.

First off, a Happy Birthday to Garry
View attachment 131948

Jaz - Are you able to open your mouth wide enough to take a bite out of that???

Tom - Like the photo. Excellent work.

Willie - I sure like that chain link fence better than the one from Walthers.

Tomorrow we have a birthday party in town for my grand daughter who will be turning 11.

Off again on Monday to look at some properties up in the Flathead valley. Saw a few that were interesting but the agent we are working with came up with a few more.

Yes, I had to get the dachshunds to sing for Garry

Later
It was there one minute and in my tummy some minutes later….no task too hard, luckily I have all my teeth only one filling, gnashes teeth.it May have taken a couple of chomps to get to the roll……but oh so worth it. ‘I scoffed. A half pounder posh roll fried onions tomato sauce and frenchs mustard (best import from the US ever) and couple gherkins to nite and a couple of buttermilk pancakes with ginger sauce. tooo…yum yum, the burgers were only 5 percent fat and I past on chips…..rubs belly.

Last edited:
It's an 2003 X595. The loader is quite handy that's for sure.

Area 52 is worse and creeper.

Chet- My lot was a hay field also. These trees can't be saved I talked with many tree experts and the local co op.
We on the other hand started with an empty field and filled it with trees, hence the layout being called Arboretum Valley. Tt his time of y ear in the last month I have scoffed apples, just starting pears, chomped through greengages,de nancys, passed on the quince, won’t likely eat the medlars, both Asian pears worth a visit, plums a plenty, more later, red currants, black currants, white currants, moved the gooseberries and blue berries so reduced crops, accidentally missed the raspberries, but caught the June cropping strawberries them helped me loose lots of weight, no cream no scones just strawberry fields for ever, well seven patches this year from w last year, will likely do a load more next year but I should get one that does a different time of the month, alpines are good back ups though,damsons, blackberries,not done elderberry been too busy I should make cordial,and haws from the Hawthorne make nice jelly leather strips, if I get time, ooh mulberries we’re good but they make more mess than blackberries so usually eat off the tree, birds got the cherries, and plums pears and cooking apple still to come, I get a bucket a day and share with the birds who go bonkers, fun watching the baby birds learn I ts food, I walk out to a tree bi red in tow and start biting apple and throwing fruit on floor, cautious first then a mad dash, then I get nipped on the back of my legs by those reminding me to feed behind me as well as in front and the odd bird will try flying on my shoulder or head crazy animals, then when I walk off they walk off, even though the geese and the boy Muscovites can reach the lower branches.
our worst problem with trees is wind. Breaking branches, although one year very wet damaged the roots on conifers and we lost a lot. Deciduous do better, but we have to be careful as the goats can poison themselves on sone trees, worse the goats strip the bark and kill the trees electric fence around the goats! We get nuts too hazel,almond,walnut,sweet chestnut, unfortunately we get squirrels too and they take then just before ripe enough for us, grrrr.

Afternoon All,

Spent the day at Dad's with the better half and ended driving up to daughters house before coming home. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Dakota- Really nice photos.

Gary- Looks like a great meal.

Willie- Again, sympathies for your family. Nice vacant lot and that's a really good looking fence.

Lee- Nice 1:1 photos.

Jaz- Nice scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Tom. Thanks for the info on your tractor. I’ll post a pic of my 2 John Deere mowers I have. One is a 1980 314 and the other is a 1968 140. The 140 I’m fixing up changing all the fluids and putting a new carb on it. I have the 140 lifted so I can get to the drain plug on the transmission. I finally got the old Allis running this year after 7 years of sitting by my garage.

Chet Thanks for the complement

Curt. Thanks that’s one of my favorite places to deliver to on my 1.1 layout lol.

F901F9EE-F021-424D-B805-16F3B8EDB863.jpeg
1FAB1BE5-C9DB-4FFF-9EE3-43A7AB98AD0E.jpeg

Good Afternoon all! We seem to have gotten a break in the humidity, forecasted to be low for a couple of days. While it's still hot temperature wise, it just doesn't feel so bad.
Willie - a little prayer going out for your brother.
Sherrel - Look at it this way, you won't be worried about the wiring any more.
Gary - What a nice location and the meal looked great.
Jaz - Imported mustard? I love Coleman's English mustard, though a little goes a long way.

I had about an hour to fool around in the train room. I added some of the Blair Line fencing to the coal yard. Sure makes a difference.
1630964791171.jpeg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Howdy .....

Gary ..... I can recall we were in Lunenburg during our visit to Nova Scotia about 20 years ago. I think the seafood restaurant was called "The Fish Factory" or something like that in a red building. They served a huge platter with a variety of fresh seafood. ..... We have always wanted to return to NS, but never did. As I have said before, the trip was interrupted by the 9/11 attacks, and eventually we returned home by train to Michigan and then a rental car to Nashville airport where we retrieved our car to drive home..

Chet .... It sounds like a good time with family, steaks, local brew, and the race.

Guy .... Your crane truck looks like a fun project.

Willie ..... I like the results of the fence kit.

Dakota Love ...... I like the MILW F-units.

Tom (Cambria) ..... Did the tractor uproot the tree or did that big dog do it? :D

Jaz ..... Did you paint all of those figures? Nice.

Lee ..... I recall Conrail continued using NYC, PRR, and PC reporting marks. Nice photos.

Hughie ..... The fence looks great.

Last edited:
If I ever use the truck, I'll have to disguise it somehow. That probably means I won't use it; and that probably means I won't put so much attention into building it. Oh well!
Disguise it with a few OO people-no one will suspect! It's too nice a truck kit not to use!
OTOH, I would still use it even with HO people. The angle you give there doesn't look bad? at least in my eyes?

GUY - Your potato pic took me back to my childhood when my father had a pretty large garden.
He would have at least 4-5 bushels of potatoes which he stored in a large shed - along with mom's canning and everything else. My point is that we had potatoes for months!
The potatoes I buy in the store here seem to go soft after a couple weeks? Explain?

Last edited:
The potatoes I buy in the store here seem to go soft after a couple weeks? Explain?
Sherrel - The potatoes you buy in the store have already been out of the ground for a considerable time. They have to travel from the farmer to the packer to the warehouse and then on to the store. Who knows how many middle men are in between all that.
My 50lbs (8 plants) will last a few months, especially since the wife don't eat potatoes; only white rice. I never have any left to use as seed taters for the spring, and I only plant russets because reds don't have a good shelf life. - That's all I know about potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back