Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a old Lionel FA I repainted and decaled last weekend.
4B4E0DD6-5274-4D4C-96F1-4F714CAB23F4.jpeg
82EEE7A9-CACB-4ED7-883A-5F9ED7C0A28E.jpeg
53D75FBC-9548-470A-AE18-C784EA4519FA.jpeg
52F3C40D-0087-43F4-BCD4-31768967F3E9.jpeg
2833F99B-F35A-40A7-809C-BDE5CC1F9239.jpeg
03E4867B-69FE-4136-8E40-F236257144FD.jpeg

Morning from the WEST! We are looking for a 97 degree high today - it topped out at a flat 100 yesterday; of course, the sky is perfectly clear again - the clouds don't show , it seems, in this part of the globe?
Historical note: the record high was set last year on this date at 112 degrees!

I'm on a real downer this morning. See Willie's note below:
Sherrel - Be sure to point out to Kate that the cancelled Paris trip fits in well with her desire to cut unnecessary expenses
So I am in the garage trying to sort out my workbench and put away all the "stuff" that I was using on the RV so I could get that darn Turtle House built when the Spousal Unit called me from out at the MIL's house and said: I just sold the RV!
Seems that a new neighbor has moved in next door and his FIL has been looking for an RV - wife has been wanting to downsize - and he offered to buy it cash! Actually he will pay off the bank with a little left over. I had not checked, but I guessed that we were probably still underwater on the loan to value.
I am still in shock; we have been doing a little talking, but that was my "escape" from this State - and I figured that it would allow us a living space to go looking elsewhere.

Anyway - the whole thing has given me a real punch in the gut!
I need to sort out all this; too much thrown at me before I was ready!

Willie - Did you see my add to the PM on your blog?
LEE - Sure hope you fully recover - so sorry you are going thru this!

Francine - I think I will just drink my breakfast this morning - Double shots in the BM's today!

Last edited:
I'm planning to use a bigger circle of track (curve radius: 21"1/4) for my pizza layout. It'll replace the first one (curve radius: 19"). I'll keep only ONE circle of track, of course ! But the new track will be very close to the edge of the benchwork. Is it a good or bad idea ? Thanks for your help.

107B.jpg

CHTISTIAN - Nice looking Loco!
Place a thin strip of wood or plastic - say 1/8 to 3/32 of an inch around the edge which rises from the surface about 1/2 to 3/4 inch high. That should keep anything from going on off the edge, unless you are 'hot-rodding" too fast.
Otherwise -- with no turnouts -- you should not be bothered with a locomotive derailing anyway?

Follow-up: I would keep both tracks if clearance allows between opposing locomotives?

Last edited:
Howdy ...

Karl .... The cat box video was funny. It reminds me oa a household where the cat was mad at the dog for using the cat box. The dog identified as a cat.

Sherrel ...... You sold your RV ? ..... Now, I suppose you will need to stay at hotels while traveling.

Lee .... Your Santa Fe 8230 looks good.

Christian .... I hope the GP40 works well.

Everybody .... have a good afternoon and evening.

Sherrel. Thanks I hope I’ll get over this it’s almost a year since I had Covid and still having trouble.

Garry. Thanks for the complement it’s was a lot of fun

After church I spent some time in the garage running my HO layout and took some pics. I’m going to fix up this old Athearn CNW F7 maybe today. I’ll give a update later if I do.
438991F3-A69F-488F-A98B-32E29A063A24.jpeg
F89588BB-32F9-4C3E-A3B6-68BA58B4DACC.jpeg
D6199B55-4C4B-4D66-A730-11BD5A5AC8CA.jpeg

Good Afternoon all! Another hot one. A "feels like" temp of 110. You just have no desire to be outside,
Flo, a scotch and water please.
Sherrel - I had some funny lines about RV's but I thought better of it.

Did add a Blair Line fence to the Yard Cafe. You get quite a bit of fencing in their package.
So I thought I'd throw this pic out there.
Bar-Mill-row.jpg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Evening All.

The wife and I spent the day at Dad's packing and getting rid of stuff...rinse and repeat tomorrow. One advantage of all this is that I'm sleeping better from the work I'm doing.

Sherrel- Sorry to hear the RV news.

Garry- Happy Anniversary.

Guy- Nice potato haul. Interesting petal design on the flower.

Willie- Nice scenes.

Karl- Nice 1:1 photos.

Lee- Good luck with the doctors. Nice job with the FA loco.

Hughie- Nice layout scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
Today took down one of many diseased pine trees. This one was blocking the view to the back which my wife missed. So with help from the neighbors son and supervised by the dog Sienna who is getting over surgery for a couple of growths. The view is back, now seeded and waiting the grass to fill in.
IMG_4797.jpg
IMG_4800.jpg
IMG_4804.jpg

WHEW.

Inventory's done, my work is through the Oktoberfest ordering season (I work in the brewing supply industry), I'm moved out of North Metro club completely and now a fully vested member of the Newport, MN club! Yay.

I also got an appointment to be the deputy Trainmaster at the Hennepin Overland club, which means I help keep train traffic flowing nicely during our show hours. Fun times for me, I guess.

A slight off-topic, but not big enough question to merit its own thread. I have bent some ears at the Overland club to install a few more Digitrax UP5 panels aorund the layout, since we don't have very many and a few of us like using corded throttles. Am I correct in my educated guess that the UP5's can be simply daisy-chained together to some extent? Loconet seems to be ridiculously flexible in this regard, if I am understanding correctly.

The situation is like such: There is one UP5 under our sawmill area, controlling two phone jack extensions for a corner of our layout. Can I string another UP5 off of that one to gain one more jack?

Also some Newport photo fun:

IMG_20210903_202822264.jpg IMG_20210903_212826095_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20210903_213857669.jpg IMG_20210903_210918388.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back