Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from the cave at my house. Wow, 60f degrees a couple hours ago, 64 now and the high might hit 69. Gotta love Wisconsin. The rains start per the weather channel about 9 and continue till 3. Last night the forecast was mid 70’s and rain late afternoon. It looks like it could rain any minute.

jazA, currently on day 12 of no grapes. I do miss them, especially with the price being $.98 per pound this week at the grocery stores.

The house is clean after yesterday’s honey do list was completed. Today, Terry will do some spot checks making sure all is in order. I will head out to the picnic/quarry area today to double check it and prep it for tomorrow’s gathering. The weather for the weekend is supposed to be dry and nice. The pool guys are here already as once a month they come out and inspect the equipment. I will have to see what’s up with them after this.

Nothing from my 3 days of retail therapy has shown up but USPS says a few things today and next week delivery now for the stuff i sent to the vacation spot. I need to see if I can get tee times together for Sunday morning. 3 of the guys want to try University Ridge Golf down the street from us. We are heading Sunday to the Taste of Madison at 2 so golf has to be done before that.

Enjoy your day
TomO
2D4A12EB-8757-4978-B8AC-E28067721169.jpeg

Morning all. Kicking off the Labor day weekend a little early, playing hooky today! I went to the LHS unsupervised day before yesterday and something called my name. Here it is: I was testing my new Athearn SD-40 last night. Good news: nice model, runs & sounds great, detail not up to Genesis levels of course but for $160 I can live with that. Bad news: won’t run with Genesis, or Scale Trains. Speed matching ahead!

Good morning ....

I'll be sharing my birthday cake (lots of candles LOL ) .... Today is my birthday.

Over 30 years ago, Shelley gave me this brass model of "Skookum" which is a 2-4-4-2. It is a special locomotive to me, and I still have it.

43764660644_48cdd5d75a_k.jpg

43816885754_b25e2acb2c_k.jpg

Alan .... Nice video of the SD40.

Jaz .... That sandwich is huge!

Cheers !

Last edited:
Just remember that eating fat does not make you fat. Your body (typically) metabolizes fat for energy (right away) while carbs are stored away for fat for energy on a rainy (or lean) day...

(Of course, eating 10k calories of fat is more energy than you need so that would probably get stored away as well, but what I said above is a generalization of what happens when you eat a normal sized amount for the day)

Hi! I'm back.

Just finished walking the dog through the forest. - Two days in a row, this brazen Mule Deer has been tracking us through the forest. I believe it wants to kick the crap out of my dog, that I keep on a leash. Today, it got within 10', which caused me to pick up a stick just incase I had to club it. Fortunately, it won't come any closer with me there.
I've been keeping the dog leashed lately, because she wants to go after that deer and must now unlearn that off leash is freedom. She needs to be obedient or she will be harmed by what's in the forest.
I don't bring my camera with me when I walk the dog, but, I'm going to start doing that. I could have got a photo of a Mule Deer's bloodshot eyes today.

Hello McLeod !
Is it you on the photo ? You look very young.
Christian, that 4yr old is my grandson on a discovery mission a few years ago.

Garry - I really like 'Skookum'. That ia a beautiful locomotive. - I can't remember if Skookum is Alaska or the Yukon. I've spent considerable time in both places.

Jaz avalley - That's a mighty fine looking hamburger. Looks western to me. It's caused me to go seek some nutritional maintenance in my wife's kitchen.

See ya'll later!

Gotta leave behind a photo, though:
Open Hoppers_08-18-2021.jpg
They are all empty, being delivered for filling with gravel.

Good Morning All. Clear and 76°, another warmish start. Still no real change in the ten day forecast except maybe dipping into the upper 60's from Sunday through Thursday nights. Patrick's rain is moving east and not south, so we won't see that.
Referring to Ida, what a difference location makes. NYC gets a record 3.15" of rain and sadly, people die. I get that same amount several times a year and we treat it as "matter of fact".
Off to a late start today, up at the usual time around 0400, but went back to bed an hour later and didn't wake back up until 0745. Must be the overload of Italian dinner last night at our favorite eating establishment. Yesterday's grocery trek went off without a hitch and I made it to the follow-up hearing aid appointment. Had to wait for at least 15 minutes because the customer ahead of me was an extremely elderly lady who had just gotten her first pair and required extra guidance. The techie added the phone app to my Samsung phone and now when I answer it, the conversation automatically goes straight to the hearing aids. The hearing aid microphone picks up my voice and the whole thing works as far as 40' from the phone. I guess that it's similar to Bluetooth technology or something like that. Still have to physically swipe the phone to answer and hang up. I like the remote volume function which adds a lot of versatility to the device. However since I only get about one phone call every two weeks, I won't be using the phone part too much!

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the gas station interior progress posted yesterday; Karl, Tom O, Guy, Gary, Steve J, Sherrel, Rick, Justin, Hughie, Garry, James, Curt, Tom, Christian, Patrick.

Since it is so late this morning Flo, I'll take a chicken-fried steak with southern cream gravy with a scoop of smashed potatoes. Sugar-free A&W root Beer to wash it down with.

Had visitors yesterday afternoon, so the only time in the train shed was to run trains and show off. We then went for supper and returned to look some more. Here are a few scenes that they were most impressed with. All of these I have posted before, although they may have been different pictures.
First is Tommy's Tree House, a recent build.
IMG_6252.JPG

They liked the action outside Sweaty Betty's BBQ.
05-02-18 017.JPG

Michelle was particularly impressed with this red barn since she raises horses and her dad once owned a barn similar to this in Canada in the 60's.
IMG_0456.JPG

Troy - I too saw the "swamp.jpg" when I hovered over the picture, but "quick-draw" Karl posted it first.
Guy - For the most part I ignore the extra close scrutiny that the camera gives to paint jobs, as they aren't visible to the naked eye.
Steve J - You're experiencing "first layout blues". As we all learned with our first layouts that weren't just simple ovals, trackwork is the key to enjoyment. Look at your track before you jump in and clean it excessively. It hasn't been there long enough for it to get dirty. Unless it was dirty before you installed it. Look at the loco wheels as well. Quit using the damn wire brush.
Sherrel - I know that things on the left coast are different, but here, all turtles/tortoises carry their own homes around with them.
Sparks in bed? All that I see is the flash and glow of the Fit-Bit watch!
Greg - Good for Cathy recognizing a coworker from 40 years ago. I could not do that any more, although some recognize me because of my beard.
In those days the attendants still washed your vehicles windshield and checked your oil while filling your gas tank.
As a teen in the 60's, the windshield washing was always a treat, mainly with the drivers wearing the mini-skirts popular back then.
Remember when they stacked the cans of motor oil at the ends of the gasoline pump islands?
Yes. And I remember many a teenage buddy reaching out the window and grabbing one or two when the attendant was looking the other way,I am not guilty as I didn't own a car until my second year of college and they had moved them all inside by then.
Gary - I wasn't aware that Labor Day was observed across the border.
Garry - Beautiful loco.

Food/diets - For me it's carbs, not calories. Of course reducing carbs reduces calories and helps keep blood sugar in check. I've been successful by cutting potatoes by 75%, bread by 60%, pasta by 60%, rice by 85% and many fruits that are high sugar like grapes, apples etc. Berries are OK.

Gotta go now. Everybody have a great day, and an awesome weekend, especially those who have long ones.

Good Afternoon all. Yes it's still hot and very humid. Takes a lot out of you working outdoors. I try to plan out what I need to do and break it down into 2 hour tasks if I can.
Flo, no offense, but I was thinking maybe a bag of White Castles and a AW Root Beer (diet) sure would be tasty about now.
And I found it, sitting on a shelf behind a can of power steering fluid.
OilSpout.jpg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Afternoon All,

Spent the day at Dad's. By the time I left I had 4 lawn bags of junk that went to the outside trash can and was drenched in sweat. I'm supervising lawn camp with the grandkids tomorrow then I'll take them to lunch then home and use SIL's air compressor to fill 2 spares in preparation for our trip to VA next week.

I just ordered the FOS REA freight house. It was $30 off and I also get a freebie small kit with it. I was going to wait a couple of months but decided to pull the trigger. It will require a minor track modification on the peninsula.

Guy- That looks like it's going to be a great looking truck. Nice 1:1 photo.

Alan- Nice video.

Garry- Happy Birthday. You're 21 right? Very nice looking 2-4-4-2.

Willie- Very nice scenes.

Moermusic- Nice 1:1 photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Just completed my first try at rolling the dice for an operating session. It took 55 minutes to move all the cars from their existing locations to the new locations. Since I'm operating by myself it worked pretty well. I found that a little more thought could go into car movements, could make the moves in less time. All in all I liked it. I should move from 8 cars to 12. Looking for maybe an hour worth of operating time.

Good afternoon. Been busy as usual getting some chores done and getting the house ready to go on the market. Nothing major, just a few items in the basement that hasn't been used for anything but storage since the kids moved out and stored some of their stuff downstairs.

Took the wife's Ford Taurus to the shop that did the engine replacement for a 600 mile oil change and cooling system flush. Could have done it myself, but got it done no charge. I did clear up the headlights on my Buick. I had doone them on my son's Outback and was impressed with how they came out. Mine weren't bad as I had been trying to keep up with them, but this system is supposed to leave a ceramic coating when done. They came out great.

thumbnail_20210903_135741.jpgthumbnail_20210903_141054.jpgthumbnail_20210903_145127.jpgthumbnail_20210903_145201.jpg

I had replaced the old Silver Star bulbs with LED's a while back. Really like the difference when driving at night. Quite an improvement.

Terry
- Sorry to hear about your wife. Not good for people with medical issues. Prayers for her. Happy that you didn't have a blood clot. I had the same symptoms with my leg that was a clot.

Garry
- Excellent photos. photos. Like the 2-4-4-2, Sweet.

Willie
- Can't say enough about yours. You constantly amaze me with what you've done. Like the service station details. I put it in the little service station on the right side of the block here. Excellent kit.
thumbnail_20200128_164210.jpg

Alan
- Like the video.

I have quite a few of the old items found in service stations and still use a lot of them. As some of you mentioned, I did get my bucks worth on the radiator for the truck. Picked up the radiator Tuesday after our weekly lunch. Also got a couple of hoses. Noticed that the fuel filter would drain down and also got a new fuel pump. I have the antifreeze so it should only be a two knuckle job

Gotta get the grill started.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back