Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
For any of you kids too young to remember, here’s a picture of a bulk oil dispensing jar:
sunocoob1-600x600.jpg

YUP - Remember the glass quart jars with the funnel spout.
Remember the cardboard quarts of oil as well.
Remember the spout that you jabbed into the top of the cans - still have one.
My father kept at home a 5 gallon can of oil from the refinery and changed his own oil. Believe it or not - he must have been one of the first group of people to recycle. He would take his used oil back to the refinery in another 5 gal can. He also had another 5 gal can that he would fill with gasoline made on the spot.

Afternoon All,

Got the internet fixed about an hour ago. Spent the day at Dad's removing stuff. More of the same tomorrow.

Willie- Condolences on your brother. I hope your wife's surgery went well. Great gas station detailing.

Terry- Very sorry to hear about everything happening to your family. Great news on the no blood clots.

TomO- Nice transfer caboose. I wish the Pennsy had them :(.

Steve- Sorry to hear your news.

Chet- Nice photos.

Garry- Great Big Boy photos.

I have a little notebook that I put what I want to comment on in the forum (so I can remember) and today after our adult daughter stopped by I saw this in it:

Peggy- Great Daughter...SMH.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I have vivid memories of those cardboard quart cans collapsing when I tried to shove the metal spout into them. Usually it would create quite a mess…
Ditto here! I'm too young to remember the glass jars though. Always had metal or cardboard cans here in TX. I also still have the metal punch-in spout. You never know if they'll come back in style since the 5 quart plastic containers aren't "green". My used motor oil goes on the gravel driveway to kill the grass/weeds. After all, it came from the ground to begin with!

If I hadn't been running a gas station that opened in 1927, and still had most of that era's equipment, I probably wouldn't have used the glass jars, either.
We also had as the store refrigerator, a unit that ran on natural gas. The pumps got replaced around 1975, when a drunk ran through the parking lot, mowed down the old pumps, and ended up embedded in a corner of the shop.
The store/gas station also sported 6 cabins to use as disconnected motel rooms in the back yard.

Ditto here! I'm too young to remember the glass jars though. Always had metal or cardboard cans here in TX. I also still have the metal punch-in spout. You never know if they'll come back in style since the 5 quart plastic containers aren't "green". My used motor oil goes on the gravel driveway to kill the grass/weeds. After all, it came from the ground to begin with!

We too used old oil to kill grass and weeds on the gravel driveways at the farm, also to keep the dust down.

I still have my old oil can opener/spout. Not sure if ever will get used again.

Morning all, Happy Friday ! And a Long weekend coming here as well for Labour Day !
Bagel and cream cheese please Flo, extra large coffee….
I too poured a few of those cardboard oil cans while working at the local Esso station, I dont recall ever seeing the glass bottles.
Best wishes to all those hit by all this terrible weather in places and tragic fires.
It was still windy and rainy here yesterday as the system moved north.

Morning all,

Missed yesterday due to getting up and literally falling back on the bed yesterday. As long as I didn't move the room didn't spin for most of the day. Better today. The wife has inner ear issues and thought I was getting one too, but once I was able to get my left ear to pop, much better. Never any nausea, just couldn't stay upright. Must be a getting old thing as I've never had that happen before.

I remember seeing the old quart bulk oil bottles, but I used the cardboard ones myself. I tossed the puncture and fill spout when the plastic pourable bottles became popular and I don't change my own oil anymore.

Spotty rain and thunderstorms this morning in Doo-Dah. Supposed to be rainy of and on all morning and then storms, possibly severe late this afternoon and into the overnight hours and into tomorrow. High today, depending on the weather guesser, anywhere from 87° to 91° today.

If I don't get back on, everyone have a safe Labor Day weekend.

Good Morning!

Now the leaves are going to change color! 37f this fine morning; its a cool one.
Time to get out in a heavy-duty way with the camera. I want some fall colored railway photos, preferably action with fall colors. I might be hanging around the local rail bridges between my town and Blue Ridge.

I know that a-lot of folks are suffering with forest fires and hurricanes, and I'm sad about that. On the flip side, we here are living in pre-winter bliss following 3 days of rain. It's supposed to be sunny and warm this entire holiday weekend. I'm talking the mid-70's under pure blue skies. It's going to be a wonderful week-end.

Can't hang around too long; I have things to do. Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of some little progress I made on the truck yesterday.
The chassis under-gear got installed:
ColesMk (1).jpg

And this is where I left it to dry over-night:
ColesMk (3).jpg

I'd like to hang around and have another coffee, but, I'm outta here:
OuttaHere.jpg

Have a good one!

I'm awake, just had to find the new place. The birds musta ate the breadcrumb trail!

Good morning gang!

69 and raining here is central Absurdistan, as we deal with the remnants of Ida today. looks like 5-6 inches of rain on already saturated earth. It's a shame we cant build a pipeline to ship all this water to California.

BBL
Yeah I had to go look in new posts as no one left a link……lazy buggers :p

Diabetics need to be careful and depending on your doctor and insurance taking reading 4 times a day is not unusual. My wake up is 145-160 and the doctor wants it under 150. My go to bed is 125-140. overall the A1C is 6.5 and going down. Recently reading here I think someone mentioned how bad grapes are for diabetics and I was eating a handful of green or red grapes 4-5 times a day. So, I popped an email off to the Endrocolongist and her answer was it depends. In my case she was unaware I love grapes and since the emails last week I am 1 week grape free.

Why someone who is a diabetic wouldn’t tell family is too bad. I had to tell family and just a couple folks at work in case I got too low and that happens still to me.

TomO
People should know, they can then have candy bars ready just in case, when at school a diabetic girl had a cache with the teachers orange juice and chocolate covered candy, I thought being diabetic looked good ….kids lol…..but yeah have the right food there just in case is easily done, and I believe a life saver, and foot care is important as well I understand, and as someone who loves grapes I sympathise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back