Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

49° and clear this morning. Supposed to get to the mid-80's today. Yesterday was nice, but I couldn't get out of the building to enjoy it
Vendor meetings on the stuff we have coming up in the next year and then having to figure out why fingerprint readers for the police cars won't work. Too many VPN's trying to communicate to the machines at the same time and the state's computers are setup to talk to our VPN system. The state is the easy part, I have to figure out whether our current firewalls can assign static addressing to the car computers. If so, I have to make that happen and then forward the particular data to the state computers through our existing link. Otherwise we'll have to wait until we get the new firewalls in the next year or two. Problems with wanting to be bleeding edge.

Can I retire yet? 😄
Can you use dynamic IPs, and security tokens to let them through the firewall? As the cars drive around, they will be in different areas, and sometimes they might not be where they're "supposed" to be.

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 52° this morning. I actually had to close the bedroom window during the night as the north breeze was a bit too cool for me.
The usual Thursday morning weekly grocery trek is today. It looks like an expensive one as last week I spent less than $100; and there's a lot already on the list. Cooked a rack of baby back ribs last night, along with a new recipe of green beans, garlic and tomatoes, all from this spring's garden. Brussels Sprouts from the store rounded out this delicious and healthy meal. Tonight maybe shrimp or fish and homemade coleslaw.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's progress update; Sherrel, Gary, Steve J, Christian, Karl, Patrick, Tom O, Garry, Rick, Hughie, James, Tom.

BLT sandwich and sugar free A&W root beer this morning Flo.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mainly painted some of those figures pictured yesterday. Nothing photogenic yet though. I ran trains for nearly 45 minutes as well. Had an uncoupling issue between two Athearn Genesis F45's. Time to replace the plastic factory installed coupler on the one that still has it. Not sure why I didn't do that before it ever went on the layout, but that was easily twelve years ago.
How about just some pictures of track today.
IMG_6245.JPG
IMG_6262.JPG

IMG_6266.JPG

IMG_7469.JPG

Christian - 7.5 mile walk - That's impressive. Mine are generally between 1 and 1.5 miles a day, once a week I go 2.25 miles to my mailbox and back. That one is an exertion for me.
Sherrel - I can really get into those "home alone" projects where I don't have to pick up the tools at the end of the session.
Steve J - Good for the VFW for stepping up to assist the widow. Unfortunately my only experience with that kind of situation with a widow of a late employee of mine, just prolonged the inevitable. At 66 yo, they bought their first new home and didn't have mortgage life insurance when he had a heart attack two months later. The realtor and home builder each donated a month of payments which only extended her time there briefly. Heartbreaking to say the least.
Dr Tom O - That pre-loading really works wonders if I am going to do something really strenuous that I am not used to. Just have to remember!
Garry - Yes, painting figures can be tedious work. I find that if I limit it and just do two or three colors at a time on multiple figures, it is more enjoyable. I keep the figures near the workbench and if I am painting anything else, I also grab a few and do them as well.
Patrick - I got the candy bar shakedown Sunday for an orchestra trip. My oldest grandson is the 1st cello in his junior high orchestra. Wife fell for it. I donated even though I don't eat candy.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and have fun.

Good morning,

Tired, tired tired, and one more night of a late meeting. And then tomorrow, we pick up a foster greyhound. Since we are fostering, we have to do the initial training for the dog. He just left the track system 10 days ago, so is unused to being a house-dog. I got to meet him yesterday and think he will be okay for us. Quiet, calm, and reserved - not quite sure what to make of people, yet. I think he will fit in well with our current greyhound, Fritz. Fritz has heart problems and the rescue org pays for his meds, or most of them. We stopped requesting reimbursement for the digoxin we get from Costco.

One concern is we can't let them run and play. Both are pretty young so can produce bouts of energy. Dangerous for our current dog with his heart issues, and dangerous for the foster. Greyhounds run so fast and with such power in their legs that they literally break their legs when playing. They are built to run fast like the wind with gentle curves - - much like our model trains, eh?!

Two summers ago (when my son was still talking to us) they brought their German Shepherd mix over and the two dogs began to play chase. Which is quite a sight to see the greyhound pull away from fast dogs like they were standing still. But Fritz made a sharp, full speed turn and "derailed." Yelped and went down and didn't get up. Stress fracture to the left rear which led to six weeks in a cast/brace and over $2K vet bills for Dad. And a stern 'talking-to' from the vet who said [heavy sigh] "AGAIN - You can't let them run."

Hopefully I can get home early this afternoon for some rest/train time before the 1800 meeting. That will be a late one, so prob not home until 2100 earliest.

Willie - - - Agree that this is merely a stop-gap. Intention is to help her stay current with the mortgage while she sells. She has already begun the sale process. Nice house on 26 acres - - - should go pretty quick.

Enjoy the gift of this day - - -- Steve J

Terry: Looking into that. The biggest issue is that we have a county wide 911 system which the cars have to be attached to and then the local system for everything else. The 2 vpn's don't play nicely and never have. within the next year our system will be integrated with the new county wide system, which will eliminate the need for 2 vpn's. I'm trying to get the PD to wait until that's completed before adding additional capability to their police cars. I think we might be able to tag team the fingerprint operations then through the county and not have to play how many hops to get a fingerprint.

Morning RR Folks from the West! 68 degrees at the moment heading towards 92? It was an even 100 for the high yesterday, but felt like 200 - In the direct sunlight it was brutal! I haven't seen a cloud in so long that the sky looks like WILLIE'S backdrop - LMAO! Nice to see the trackside photos, Willie.

TomO - Thanks for the tip from "Dr. Tom"! I will give that a try -- I know that I do not drink enough water, but I cannot figure out where all the pee comes from between 2-6 AM in the morning?

Terry - For all the family I am very sad to hear of the planned outcome - especially for your step-son.

I managed to accomplish a couple things yesterday including doing the laundry and towels that the Spousal Unit uses with her work. Also trimmed the lower tree branches in the back yard - only have one tree in the front and I will "hit" it this morning.
The car has a nail in the left rear tire - have to take care of that today. Other things on the list to look at - the rear door has about a 1/4 - 3/8 gap which I need to take care of. I don't know hoe that happened? Earthquake maybe - but there are no cracks anywhere? The hard part is that it is a tight fit at the top! I tried doubling up on the weather-stripping .. won't work - going to have to cut a long piece of trim at an angle like a wedge. Cannot reset the jambs - it would screw up all the facia and the stucco! Not a fun project!

FLO - I'll have a short stack with an egg up on the top and a BIG handful of bacon this morning - A DP to drink and more coffee at this time? PATY.

Howdy....

Toot and Terry ..... I recall "Lost in Space" on TV. ... "Warning. Warning." LOL

Willie ..... I enjoy seeing the long trains on your layout. Nice!

"managed to" ..... I see that phrase a lot. Sherrel just used it, too. Why not simply say what you did and leave out that phrase?

Here is a picture of Prairie View depot. It includes my little Jordan Models bus which was fun to put together. The last car in the train is a diner/parlor car which was modernized. When CB&Q modernized its older passenger equipment, they painted them silver color in an effort to match the new stainless steel cars.

36765088075_5a1b3f10e3_b.jpg

Good morning global modelers even though JazA seems to have disappeared this week. Cool, cool this morning that I turned the A/C to heat at 5 this morning. Low forty’s this morning heading to a sunny 69. Back to 70’s next week the weather lady promised on TV this morning.

Dr. Tom’s appearances are thankfully rare and generally informative to the few not the majority. Willie, yes remembering to pre-load is the difficult thing. Sherrel, while Dr. Tom is a knowledgeable figment of an imagination but even he is unaware if you drink little why does a person getup many times in the middle of the night, usually at 4am local time for him. Dr. Tom has even fasted from 5pm to sleep time and still gets up at least 1 time. If it’s a big bother see your local more informed physician.

Patrick, that’s crazy that if your PD is switching to the new county system why fix this problem now? Do the police take fingerprints on scene? Sorry, if so, but without a reason I am not giving my fingerprints up for a traffic stop.

SteveJ, that’s a huge gift for a stop gap measure. Great for that group to be able to step in and help.

Talking about help. Stupid me! Terry and I were walking around the Capital grounds in Madison after being at the Farmers Market yesterday. There was an informational protest or something about helping out renters that cannot pay the monthly rent because of Covid. I and then Terry stopped to listen. I couldn’t help but ask a question about help for the landlords. Not a smart thing, in fact the Capital police officers moved closer to me as Terry backed away! Turns out landlords don’t need help because we are all wealthy and exploiting our tenants. Terry was sort of ticked at me and said I should have quit after my 1st comment. IMOO the help should go to the landlords because The current help to pay rent goes to the renter and is not, in our cases, getting to the landlord.

Don’t take today for granted, do something good
TomO

Good morning global modelers even though JazA seems to have disappeared this week. Cool, cool this morning that I turned the A/C to heat at 5 this morning. Low forty’s this morning heading to a sunny 69. Back to 70’s next week the weather lady promised on TV this morning.

Dr. Tom’s appearances are thankfully rare and generally informative to the few not the majority. Willie, yes remembering to pre-load is the difficult thing. Sherrel, while Dr. Tom is a knowledgeable figment of an imagination but even he is unaware if you drink little why does a person getup many times in the middle of the night, usually at 4am local time for him. Dr. Tom has even fasted from 5pm to sleep time and still gets up at least 1 time. If it’s a big bother see your local more informed physician.

Patrick, that’s crazy that if your PD is switching to the new county system why fix this problem now? Do the police take fingerprints on scene? Sorry, if so, but without a reason I am not giving my fingerprints up for a traffic stop.

SteveJ, that’s a huge gift for a stop gap measure. Great for that group to be able to step in and help.

Talking about help. Stupid me! Terry and I were walking around the Capital grounds in Madison after being at the Farmers Market yesterday. There was an informational protest or something about helping out renters that cannot pay the monthly rent because of Covid. I and then Terry stopped to listen. I couldn’t help but ask a question about help for the landlords. Not a smart thing, in fact the Capital police officers moved closer to me as Terry backed away! Turns out landlords don’t need help because we are all wealthy and exploiting our tenants. Terry was sort of ticked at me and said I should have quit after my 1st comment. IMOO the help should go to the landlords because The current help to pay rent goes to the renter and is not, in our cases, getting to the landlord.

Don’t take today for granted, do something good
TomO

It's funny you brought that up Tom. I always thought if the government was going to help those people to pay rent/mortgage then an application should have been made to send money directly to the landlord or mortgage company not the renter or home owner. We all know what these people are doing with the money and certainly not paying the bills for damn sure.

Well tonight I am going to work more in the train room. Last night's accomplishment was gratifying to say the least. I did order some extension wires this morning for the LEDs and will have it by Saturday so I may be able to tidy that up a bit. Seasonal change is starting. I have 4 more days before I hear the thwack of my bow strings.....it should be a quick 1st harvest. I have been watching a few on my camera the last 2 weeks. Good size available. I did some stalking/walking last month to check around. Gonna look good in the freezer and a few slapped on the grill........ Meanwhile this Saturday I will go on Lake Champlain to see if the water cooled down enough to snag some crappies and perch. Need more for the freezers.

Ya'll have a good day....

It's funny you brought that up Tom. I always thought if the government was going to help those people to pay rent/mortgage then an application should have been made to send money directly to the landlord or mortgage company not the renter or home owner. We all know what these people are doing with the money and certainly not paying the bills for damn sure.
Totally agree. I would even allow the government to get a discount but too late for that now.

Worst thing, if they abandon and go to another landlord I cannot tell the next landlord they skipped out and didn’t pay.

TomO

Good Morning Everyone....cool and windy here in this part of Wisconsin. Soon it will be time to turn on the heat at home with the cool nights and nice days ahead. At the cabin we already have turned on the heat since when we arrive it's cool inside and at night we do need heat on like TomO. The trees are changing color so it looks like an early fall. Two years ago on October 15th we had snow, not a lot but it sure came down for awhile and it was cold outside.

I haven't been alone at the cabin all summer. Cathy is afraid that I'll do something dumb and get hurt. She feels better now that I'm starting to use a cane instead of a walker. Surprising what inactivity for a year and a half can do to a person's physical well being. My Sister-In-Law the doctor, keeps quite about me and what happened.

Two stray or loose cats at the bird feeders this morning and when the cats are around, no birds. I wrote a short note in the local blog that I'll captured the cat(s) or get a Animal Control agency to handle the problem. The cats seem well cared for and aren't feral. It appears that people enjoy having their cats run loose and then have them return home after roaming the neighborhood.

Garry: Nice scene in today's posting. Very realistic. I like the differences in elevations that help make the scene more real life!!!

Willie: It must be nice to run long trains like you and others are able to do! How long is your mainline and how do you turn the trains on the individual decks? Does the mainline form a large circle? I like that photo of that Santa Fe loco coming at us.

Still trying to get to the train room, but life's other matters keep getting into the way. Like right now I'm puppy sitting for Riley. I couldn't be down in the train room and have Riley upstairs. She would start a doggy riot!!! The doctor was yesterday and then errands with Cathy and that took all day. Hopefully soon I'll get down there and make some progress. Riley at 10 months is starting to get a mature dog nature and will bark at any noise that is strange and is a good watch dog when outside and knows who belongs to the neighbor walking down the street and who is new.

Guess that's all for now!!!

Greg

##############

Tom O ..... It is really outrageous about what is happening to investors who have rental property. Government won't allow evictions because of the pandemic.. Renters stop paying rent, and can't be evicted. We have a son-in-law who has lost $18,000 of unpaid rent on a place he rents. Crazy government. Absolutely crazy!

Sherrel .... I agree about a bunch of BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back