Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning - presently 59 heading towards 91 today. I haven't listened to the local news, so I don't really know what is going on with the fires. I did hear that one of the "local;" The Bobcat Fire" has exploded yesterday with a wind shift.

this will be short this morning -- yesterday right after I started with my morning post - I came down with something BAD!
I spent most of the day in bed and slept from 6:30 PM until 5 AM this morning. I feel weak and drained, so I may just go right back to bed.

ALAN - I see what you meant about the size of that 2-10-4 ... a real monster! Outstanding work by you on both of them!
I remember seeing a TV video of them up north on the Erie, NYC, of Penn (can't remember which) - Huge Loco's.

I'll see you all later!

Howdy .... I'll have an English muffin with apple butter please. Thanks, Troy, for the apple butter !

Thanks, everyone, for the likes and comments of the Diner Train, and my friend, Dan. Today, is Wednesday lunch day for our group of friends here, and we will miss Dan. Funeral is this Friday.

Karl ...... The 4-8-4 is beautiful .

Willie .... D's Diner looks fantastic as does the business next door to it.

Lee ... You have an impressive group of intermodal equipment.

Joe .... I like the photo of NYC 8062.

Yesterday, I looked through my group of unbuilt freight car kits. I decided to put together a boxcar, and I began working on it last night. It is an easy kit, and it will not take long.

Everybody ..... Have a good Wednesday.

Garry. Thanks for the complement I like Intermodal a lot guess because I enjoy working with the real 1.1 stuff. I didn’t know Troy dropped off some Apple Butter in the cafe this morning I would of had some. I wonder if you could post some pics of that Boxcar build your doing? Thanks

These Guys we’re switching this morning on the yard
F4F0F826-738B-4550-B6C7-891FC427810B.jpeg

Good Afternoon All,

Spent about 4 hours today on a step ladder hunched forward putting on scenery. Needless to say My knees and lower back are stiff. I still have some more to do in the corner tomorrow and then I'll take a couple of photos. I ordered a bunch of Clump Foliage from WS and blended turf from Scenic Express this afternoon.

Willie- Yahoo, no more dry ice! Very nice build on the drive up restaurant.

Lee- Nice looking tomatoes and trailer yard.

Karl- Great looking steamer.

Dave- I hope the museum survives the fires.

Jerry- It's amazing sometimes how long rail cars survive and still in their original livery.

Troy- Interesting mural. I was going to ask why a frog, but then why not. My grandmother always had apple butter in the fridge.

Joe- Nice RS12 photo. I really like the B&W photo effects in general but they make figuring out actual colors very hard to do if not impossible.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Been busy as usual. Went to Deer Lodge Monday and after lunch with out bowling partner, went to hos place and played pool for a while. Today I did a job I wasn't looking forward to, replacing the drive belt for the hydrostatic drive on the tractor. It was getting a bit sluggish on hills which is a good indicator that it probably wouldn't have done a good job plowing snow.

Hughie
- Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Lee - I really wish that they made more trucks and tractors for the transition. Yours are excellent.

Jerry - Interesting photo of what's left of the Santa Fe F unit. The layout photo has one important suggestion. It's a beginning.

Sherre
l - Outstanding photo of you by the 747. Only took one flight overseas to Europe, and it was on TWA, but the 747's weren't around yet. The rest of the trips, many of them were on a ship.

TLOC - You have a tree factory going on. Looking good.

Willie
- Sure like that GP60 B unit. Hope you can get your freezer repaired or replaced soon. The burger joint came out nice. Still wish I had room for that kit.

Garry
- Like that dinner train.

Joe - As usual, I really enjoy your photos.

Alan - Nice work on that brass steamer.

Curt - Gad you're feeling better. I know how miserable it is having to reach into the corner of the layout. You earned yourself a beer.

Karl
- Nice Freedom Train.

I guess I'll have to post some old photos from the archives.

thumbnail_20191102_141400.jpg

thumbnail_20190831_150756.jpg
thumbnail_20200121_141013.jpg

thumbnail_20191116_144547.jpg

thumbnail_20191116_144432.jpg

thumbnail_20180211_132140.jpg

Later

Greeting Shop Dwellers! 65*F, fair and dark in my central MD domicile.

Thanks everybody who "liked" my previous post, even though it hardly had anything in it.

Sherrell - I hope you feel better soon, and that the Bobcat Fire doesn't threaten your property!

Lee - I'll echo what the others have said regarding your intermodal models. Would love to have one on my own pike if I had the space. Is that Mack 'R' tractor an Athearn model?

Karl - that's one sweet-looking loco! Sure would make me feel a lot better, finding that after if I'd had a crappy work day...

Murphy has a cousin, and his name is Moore. (Patrick and Terry probably know the guy...) They way he bullies people is by forcing them to stop using their proven, reliable computers much earlier than would otherwise be necessary.

It all started on Friday, Sept 11, shortly before my wife and I left for the Ocean. A message popped up in the center of my screen warning me to update NOW, because my version of Windows 10 was "nearing the end of its service life." So I went ahead and let the update+reboot process occur, then logged back on and powered down the machine for the weekend. The following Tuesday, the same message appeared - so I contacted the Geek Squad and they remoted-in and said my version of Windows was 1903, it should be something newer (can't remember the number). The prompt appeared again, and I let it run; went to check the Windows version#, still 1903! So I called the Geek Squad a second time, and had them remote in and do the update manually from their end while I worked on my employer's laptop. At the end of my workday ~8 hours later, there was a different Geekster doing the work since the first one's shift had ended. He said they had spent the entire day trying to install the Windows 10 update, but it would keep erroring-out and they didn't want to risk corrupting my operating system. So I asked him what would be a probable reason for this malfunction? "Your computer is over five years old," he replied, "so the hardware may not be meeting the minimum requirements."

Translation: I'll need to buy a new computer, if I want to keep doing stuff online and have the latest operating system security patches. Curse you, O Baron of Redmond! 🤬

Willie. I keep forgetting to tell you Thanks for the complement on the Farm pics

Garry. I’m praying ahead for you Friday I know I will forget. Thanks for the complement

Curt. Thanks for the complement on the Intermodal Yard

Chet. Thanks for the complement on Piggyback yard and yes there is a gap there for more 40-50s vehicles but Sylvan seems to be filling that gap. I like those pics You posted today especially the Ice House

Ken. Thanks for the complement also. Yes that’s a Athearn R Mack I bought it in Kansas City one year while visiting my Brother. Hope you can get a New Computer soon my desktop died about 2 years ago

Thanks for the complements and likes today. I’ll leave you tonight with some HO Boxcars pics that I’ve painted/decaled and weathered over the years. Good night and take care.

4BF37052-3AB3-4044-B20C-4881BF2E80A6.jpeg
1F3E4D63-4218-4A13-AC42-B4A1E72FA204.jpeg
156CBEC7-CBE1-486C-8C6A-27C2FC600559.jpeg
CA5F2B82-65F4-4B5E-8BB6-D67B352C6C98.jpeg
FD1C009C-DD5B-4928-9EF6-78B2F54D0C6E.jpeg
2A4F430F-AD63-4B0E-8E4E-2274E4CF70AB.jpeg
C18B65B2-783D-4CEC-A9E7-8A5B8B3D0680.jpeg
337E9A66-349E-4DBC-BFA6-B53753248862.jpeg

Greetings all.

Not much happened again yesterday. But I didn't have to maim any more apples. Just eat them. Took the wife out for a steak. Got in early since she's on holiday/leave/vacation this week. Place wasn't crowded, but Indiana heads into full occupancy in restaurants and other venues. Going to have to be real careful here.

Heading up to see the mother unit today (1.5 hour drive), and take her a burger and onion rings. Her senior community has outside tables, so we need to get visit or so in before the nast weather hits. Yes, taking her the jamority of the apple butter we made. Wife and I save our carbs for pizza and donuts. Don't need to keep buying rolls and bready stuff to put it on.

Unfortunatley, I've got a book to finish up by Monday. So train time is iffy. I made the happy-mistake of starting to read through Jim's Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR thread. I'm in about 30 pages so far. It's soooooo districtacting when I should be writing.

Back to the grindstone. If I finish writing this chapter, I'll go get an Amish Donut before heading to see mom.

Good morning gang!
58 and clear for now, but cloudy later. A little rain is heading this way tonight or early tomorrow, but then sunny til Tuesday.
Flo, sausage biscuits and gravy sounds good to me, with a side of bacon please.
I'll drop back in later, gotta clatter off to w*rk soon.

Good morning Thursday everybody! Hope this day finds you doing well!
Sherrell...hope you get over that stuff what ever it is!
Curt...I'm always on the look out for fallen flag cars....one of my favorites was a GN gon., that girl was so beat & rusty, you could just make out the reporting marks on one end and the GN goat herald on the other...before Big Sky Blue.
Thanks all for the comment/likes, much appreciated!
Troy...that is a sharp looking mural. I caught the frog & shark on the frogs throat, but can't seem to focus in on the two tone blue critter on the left...?
Willie...that drive-in is looking nice! I think the Charger adds a lot to the scene.
Interesting photo of what's left of the Santa Fe F unit.
Indeed, I had got the impression that it was torn in half.......I dun know......
The RDC units, I see you have at least 2 of them. Do you like them? What make are they? I was considering getting one of those......

EVERYBODY HAVE A SAFE DAY!

Good Morning all 61 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Flo. Coffee and Raisin toast with Troys Apple Butter on it.

Willie. The drive in looks good as well as the vehicles.

Troy. Have a safe trip today

Jerry. It’s always nice to see a fallen flag on the rails

Joe. Nice pics as always forget you yesterday

No bench or train time yesterday hope everyone has a good day and be safe. Here’s a pic I took in Dupo last month
EFF6A959-25D8-4325-BB24-582D6D024B64.jpeg

Morning all,

No rest for the wicked as they say. Busy day here in Doo-Dah, where it's currently clear and 56* going for 85 today.

I do have time for some coffee this morning.

Murphy has a cousin, and his name is Moore. (Patrick and Terry probably know the guy...) They way he bullies people is by forcing them to stop using their proven, reliable computers much earlier than would otherwise be necessary.

True enough. I learned about him in the mid-80's and yes I've been doing computers far too long and I keep telling myself only 7.5 more years..... :p

For everyone else:

Moore's law is the observation that the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years. Moore's law is an observation and projection of a historical trend. Rather than a law of physics, it is an empirical relationship linked to gains from experience in production.
The observation is named after Gordon Moore, the co-founder of Fairchild Semiconductor and CEO and co-founder of Intel, who in 1965 posited a doubling every year in the number of components per integrated circuit, and projected this rate of growth would continue for at least another decade. In 1975, looking forward to the next decade, he revised the forecast to doubling every two years, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 40%. While Moore did not use empirical evidence in forecasting that the historical trend would continue, his prediction held since 1975 and has since become known as a "law."

Good Morning Everyone. Somewhat cloudy and 65° to begin my day here in beautiful North Central Texas. Warming up to almost 90° for the weekend. Clouds are supposed to dissipate today, finally! Got in some mowing yesterday afternoon. Grass/weeds are a bit high, but not unsightly. Today being Thursday, means the weekly grocery/beer trek to the big city this morning. Reorganized two of the five shelves in the freezer yesterday. Found stuff that I didn't remember; at least the dates on it indicate that it is mostly all still good. I did find some spinach from 2003, that was most likely still good but probably not as tasty as when I put it in there. It went into the compost pile.
Today marks the fourth week since my wife's knee replacement surgery. Recovery has slowed down, but it is still ahead of the same time last year when she had the other one done. She is walking more without the cane, she is taking walks outside (on the gravel road) every other day, and she is happy to be having a glass of red wine every once in a while. She stopped taking those narcotic pain relievers about 10 days ago. Tonight on her first outing from the house, we will make a trek back to Denton to meet up with another couple for dinner someplace. I think that restaurants are at 75% in Texas right now, not a concern because Thursday nights are normally rather slow anyway.

Bacon, grits and scrambled eggs for me this morning Flo. Large OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the two nearly finished structures; Sherrel, Jerome, James, Garry, Karl, Lee, Chad, Patrick, Curt, Chet, Tom, Guy, Justin, Ken, Tom O, Jerry. The diner has been a fun project that sent me into memory lane many times while building it, especially Flo and Francine in their younger days.

Out in the train shed, I kept busy on the project area. I first enhanced the backdrop/horizon with some additional green paint, here's where he actual Bob Ross comes in, Joe.
09-24-20 004.JPG

As you might notice, I also spray painted all of the track through here with a rattle can of Model Master Light Earth. I'll return and paint random ties various different shades of brown and gray before ballasting.
09-24-20 005.JPG

I also unintentionally sprayed the horizon!
09-24-20 006.JPG

I may leave it alone or hide it with foliage, or repaint it.

Lee - Impressive pig yard. I haven't been able to find many trailers suitable for the small yard I did mast month. I may have to look on EBay, which I really don't want to do.
Nice tomatoes there, my late ones don't ever look perfect. Even though I had actually given up, I observed a few flowers on my tomato plants yesterday, as well as many Bell and Jalapeno peppers growing. Thankfully the grasshoppers have stopped eating and are just mating right now. While it doesn't really do much good in the overall big picture, I do get satisfaction out of stepping on them and squishing them out of existence when walking around outside.
Sherrel - Get well soon.
Garry - Thanks. Slowly but surely I am progressing along. I've had a few roadblocks to moving faster, some intentional, wife's surgery for example, some unexpected like the freezer dying, and Mother Nature caused me to spend excessive time mowing this year.
Jerry - That Charger model just jumped off the shelves screaming for me to get it for the diner. It is just a bit of a shame that the driver is not a bit more visible. I may eventually do some surgery on the side window.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everybody .

Lee ... Good picture of the BN units switching. By any chance do they have remote control so the switchman operates the locomotive while on the ground ? ... Nice group of boxcars.

Willie ..... Nice progress on a section of the layout.

Chet ..... I always like seeing pictures of your layout.

I completed the boxcar kit. .... It was a very, very old Tyco/Mantua kit for a TH&B 40's boxcar. Easy to put together. I did not use the outdated trucks with horn hook couplers mounted on them. I used Kadee #5's and a new pair of trucks. I painted the roof black because that is how the real ones were painted. It has a die cast metal floor and under frame which provides ample weight. Details on the old car are crude.

50377862057_ff21915fca_k.jpg

My next freight car kit will not be easy to assemble and will take a few days.

Everybody ....... Have a good Thursday

Last edited:
Moore's law is the observation that the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years. Moore's law is an observation and projection of a historical trend. Rather than a law of physics, it is an empirical relationship linked to gains from experience in production.
The observation is named after Gordon Moore, the co-founder of Fairchild Semiconductor and CEO and co-founder of Intel, who in 1965 posited a doubling every year in the number of components per integrated circuit, and projected this rate of growth would continue for at least another decade. In 1975, looking forward to the next decade, he revised the forecast to doubling every two years, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 40%. While Moore did not use empirical evidence in forecasting that the historical trend would continue, his prediction held since 1975 and has since become known as a "law."

An engineers wet dream and a technicians nightmare! In our bidness we have a saying, that an engineer will step over 100 virgins just to screw a technician, must be the same in yours!

Afternoon All,

Ran errands and did outside chores this morning. After lunch I put ground cover and small bushes on 2 hillsides that are below the track. They're still very wet so I will wait until tomorrow to take the scenery photos...I know I keep saying that :(. Tomorrow I plan on putting bushes around the remaining rock faces that are below the track. I have to wait on the materials for the upper ones.

Chet- Great layout photos.

Ken- I feel your pain about the computer.

Lee- Nice looking box cars.

Willie- Nice looking track work. I use a latex paint on mine.

Garry- Nice looking boxcar. Sunday?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back