Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy. Your moving along at a good pace think we will see track by October??? Thanks for posting.

Willie. Nice pics of the buildings and layout

Sherrel. I think you will be fine building that truck. If your interested of sell that truck body let me know

Chet. Nice pics as always I think you and my dad was the only one who called the Cackle Berry’s have herd that in years

Not much going on today went to the Feed Store this morning and got the the Chickens fixed up for another week. Here’s a pic of them I took this morning and one when I got them this spring in now getting about 6 eggs a day. I love raising Chickens I’ve been doing it for 24 years now.
C027B269-5D63-436A-A3AE-BB40CCAC33D9.jpeg
81B7245D-070B-4D1B-BA08-0412C4A77017.jpeg
824C58B3-203D-4597-947A-4507C1B1B08F.jpeg

Last edited:
Good afternoon. Not much going on out here. Things have cooled off with the high expected to be only in the mid 60's. Getting a bit better at bowling. Never touched a ball since last year and didn't start well last week, but improved with every game and did manage a couple of 200 games last night. There are still mountains out there. With a change in the winds, got a glimpse of them today. The wife went to town for groceries and I got the laundry done.

GeeTee - It looks like you have plenty of room for a layout. I never took many photos during construction, but that was ages ago before digital photography became so inexpensive and easy. I love watching a layout come together like Curt is doing.

Joe - Enjoyed your photos. I do prefer the original Broadway Limited.

Garry - Excellent photo down by the stock yards.

IBKen - It is quite the job trying to keep the decals perfectly straight. I think the ones that were the most difficult were the number boards on locomotives. I never had any custom decals made for the Logan Valley. All of the locomotives and rolling stock were done one digit and letter at a time. With the way my eyes are now, I wouldn't even attempt it.

Lee - Good photos.

Sherrel - Keep that heat (and smoke) down there. I like those Classic Metal Works trucks as they have some nice ones that work great for my time period. The only thing I dislike about them is the extension at the rear of the truck on vans. I cut mine off as you can see here on this Chevy van at the left of the photo. Looks a lot better to me.
20180707_133939.jpg

Hughie - That track plan has a bit of everything. You can run trains plus I see a lot of switching opportunities.

Willie - Great photos as usual. We like those Walthers track cleaning cars at the club. With the doors open to the public (normally) we can get a lot of dust blowing into the layout rooms and with all of the track we have it can be difficult to clean. Once in a while we will run the brass cleaning cars with the tank car but during normal operations we always try to have at least one on every train running. I picked one up to use at home which I will also take to the club. Garry had mentioned the CSX car you have. I really couldn't find one that I really liked so I took this Milwaukee Road body shell from a Walthers car and put it on the chassis for the track cleaning car. The tracks at the club can ger so dirty that we may have to clean the pad a few time during operating sessions.

thumbnail_20200919_121046.jpg

thumbnail_20200919_121247.jpg

I can't make out the dates on the car to make sure that they are for the correct time period, so that means no one else can either.

0020.jpg

thumbnail_20190824_171933.jpg

This Geep was one of my first locomotives that I painted for the Logan Valley. Shaved off any cast on details and added grab irons, bell, horn plow, MU hoses etc. Did two of these which also had the motors replaced with can motors and run almost at the exact same speed as the Atlas Alco units.

thumbnail_20190910_065837.jpg

It was fun trying to keep the lettering straight. The RS-3's had number boards and marker lights added as some of the details.

Logan yard.jpg

Herd of Alcos.jpg

My son just arrived with his wife to work on their kitchen table. We'll have to work in the basement as I have crap spread out all over in the shop plus it is not heated. I think they want to pout the epoxy top and it's too chilly in the shop.

Lateer

I’m not 100% sure about all the reasons he left, but we do have a small handful of people on the forum that seem to delight in shoving their opinions down others’ throat, in the most untactful manner possible.

I can't speak for anybody else , but personally I am fully grown up , and pottie trained. l would much rather have it honest , up front and with the bark on , than the slow , slimy , behind the back , torture of tact.

The tactful ones are the ones you have to watch out for . They don't give their honest opinions , They treat you like a little girl scout that just wet her drawers .

"Dont worry dear, its nothing to worry about , we'll clean that right up ",

Good late afternoon, another day that got away from me. Keep those real and model pictures coming. Thank you for the well wishes on the anniversary. Wisconsin, at least in my section is 64f degrees and possible frost tonight. Tuesday and Wednesday coming up though should be back to the high 70’s. I have lost that thrill and have not been in the train room yesterday or today. But, today, I still have time to change that.

Those 12 packs of soda especially the diet Pepper bring back the memories of the same useage prior to drinking. This city boy has never touched a live chicken in soon to be 68 years. Have a great evening. TomO

Good afternoon. Not much going on out here. Things have cooled off with the high expected to be only in the mid 60's. Getting a bit better at bowling. Never touched a ball since last year and didn't start well last week, but improved with every game and did manage a couple of 200 games last night. There are still mountains out there. With a change in the winds, got a glimpse of them today. The wife went to town for groceries and I got the laundry done.

GeeTee - It looks like you have plenty of room for a layout. I never took many photos during construction, but that was ages ago before digital photography became so inexpensive and easy. I love watching a layout come together like Curt is doing.

Joe - Enjoyed your photos. I do prefer the original Broadway Limited.

Garry - Excellent photo down by the stock yards.

IBKen - It is quite the job trying to keep the decals perfectly straight. I think the ones that were the most difficult were the number boards on locomotives. I never had any custom decals made for the Logan Valley. All of the locomotives and rolling stock were done one digit and letter at a time. With the way my eyes are now, I wouldn't even attempt it.

Lee - Good photos.

Sherrel - Keep that heat (and smoke) down there. I like those Classic Metal Works trucks as they have some nice ones that work great for my time period. The only thing I dislike about them is the extension at the rear of the truck on vans. I cut mine off as you can see here on this Chevy van at the left of the photo. Looks a lot better to me. View attachment 117512.

Hughie - That track plan has a bit of everything. You can run trains plus I see a lot of switching opportunities.

Willie - Great photos as usual. We like those Walthers track cleaning cars at the club. With the doors open to the public (normally) we can get a lot of dust blowing into the layout rooms and with all of the track we have it can be difficult to clean. Once in a while we will run the brass cleaning cars with the tank car but during normal operations we always try to have at least one on every train running. I picked one up to use at home which I will also take to the club. Garry had mentioned the CSX car you have. I really couldn't find one that I really liked so I took this Milwaukee Road body shell from a Walthers car and put it on the chassis for the track cleaning car. The tracks at the club can ger so dirty that we may have to clean the pad a few time during operating sessions.

View attachment 117513

View attachment 117514

I can't make out the dates on the car to make sure that they are for the correct time period, so that means no one else can either.

View attachment 117516

View attachment 117517

This Geep was one of my first locomotives that I painted for the Logan Valley. Shaved off any cast on details and added grab irons, bell, horn plow, MU hoses etc. Did two of these which also had the motors replaced with can motors and run almost at the exact same speed as the Atlas Alco units.

View attachment 117518

It was fun trying to keep the lettering straight. The RS-3's had number boards and marker lights added as some of the details.

View attachment 117519

View attachment 117520

My son just arrived with his wife to work on their kitchen table. We'll have to work in the basement as I have crap spread out all over in the shop plus it is not heated. I think they want to pout the epoxy top and it's too chilly in the shop.

Lateer
Love those RS-3's, probably my favorite all time loco.

Evening fellers. It's been a few days so I suppose it's time for an update. I had to replace the front brake lines on my truck today. Found the drivers side had collapsed. Allowed fluid in but wouldn't relieve the pressure off the brake caliper. Ofcourse I didnt know this. I actually put on new rotors and brake pads on the front. Well the misses took the truck out and burned up the drivers side rotor and pads. So put new lines on. Replaced the rotor....again! And new set of pads. Bled the system and all seems well. Took a short trip in it and didnt seem to be dragging. Will take it out again tomorrow to verify it's good. In the train world I've been working on ballasting my track. Purchased a product that from the outside and from videos looked to be sure fire. Yeah it's no different than anything else. Money wasted on another product that was overhyped. I'll just stick with my modpodge and water mixture. Soak in some rubbing alcohol and call it good. It's cheaper than anything out there anyways. That's all I have for now. I hope everyone is doing well.
20200914_010510.jpg

20200729_072504.jpg

This is the stuff I was talking about. I half wonder if the seller didnt pull on over on me. Who knows?

Good Morning fellas.
Flo- I’ll take a cuppa black, a few scrambled cluck bullets, rye toast & s side of scrapple, PATY.
Hoping to get some work in the train room today. Maybe finish stripping that last section, get it ready to lay down some foam.

Morning all.

Coffee and French Toast, this morning Flo. Wife said no more of the cinnamon rolls until we drop our quarantine-19 lbs. So I'll sneak the carbs here in the diner.

Got the first layer of foam glued down to the benchwork yesterday. In the pic below, the pink foam to the left is NOT secured yet. Put it up to get angle cut.
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 5.42.39 AM.png

Try as I might to get them there, the sheets didn't level out for me. Sanding "fun" in my future.
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 5.43.19 AM.png

From the "Seattle" side. Riser in the rear placed to give me a visual clue about where that grade needs to end.
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 5.43.37 AM.png

The Gorge at Berne. Planning two bridge crossings at different elevations, with the third (return) route via the curve on the penisula. Gravel works, with wife's family of road construction workers planned for this area. She's made suggestions on how to include her father and two uncles in ways her family will recognize each (in N Scale, its the action, not the facial featurs that will give it away.)
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 5.43.54 AM.png

Reach up access for the tunnel. Going to be tight. Debating on trying to engineer a removable tunnel front, and light the inside of the tunnel instead. Be interesting running at night.
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 5.44.29 AM.png

Got a couple more pics, but they'll fit better in the ToolBox thread.

Need to work on adding the 2nd layer to left half, and around the back edge, to the gorge. Right of that point, elevations will be built off one layer of foam.

Morning fellows; and I do mean Morning.
The Spousal Unit has developed unusual habits since her weight loss program. Yesterday she decides that "WE" have to cut and trim the hedges in the front - the fact that "WE" just more=or=less finished the backyard doesn't seem to be enough for a while. I was so tired last evening that I went to bed at 8PM - well, guess what: 2"30 and I am awake ... ARGGG! Fortunately, can't do much more today as both the "barrels" are once again full for Monday's P/U (my only salvation).

Supposed to only be 90 today and 87 tomorrow. I see "ZERO" rain in the forecast - the fires rage on!

TROY, CHET, JOE, LEE, WILLIE, TOM, HUGHIE, GARRY, mIKE, JERRY, Justin,
and everyone else -- Love your pics.

BIG garbage omelet this morning, MEL -- maybe it will give me a boost?

Good Morning all 43 degrees in the Ozark Foothills had to turn the furnace on last night when you ask Chet for something he delivers big time. Flo Waffles and Coffee. Thanks for the complements and likes yesterday. Yesterday as I was in the garage I felt the Chessie fever coming back I guess it was the pic Chessie System 3 posted yesterday so I dug my Chessie stuff out and that’s my project this week.

Hughie. I really like that layout plan I might have to use it if I ever expand the HO layout

TomO. Is that a live or Cooked Chicken you haven’t touched

Mike. That’s a good one never heard of that one

Chet. Those are some Beautiful pics of the Logan you did a great job on those Engines

Sherrel. I’ve always heard that 2-3am is the Witches hour Google it and read why you wake up between these hours you will be surprised 😮

Chessie System 3 Thanks for the Trigger Pic your Chessie stuff looks great always liked the Chessie we had a Cat that looked just like the old C&O Chessie at one time.

Troy. Your layout is really shaping up the top looks good even though you have to sand a little. Thanks for the updates. I’m sorry but you will have to wait till next Spring to see any Baby Chicks. I only buy them around late March early April maybe I’ll have a O Scale special car built by them to haul them 😆.

Today have to get some more yard work done. The garden is just about done the Tomatoes are fighting these cold mornings and I’m done fighting the garden. Here’s some pics of my O scale C&O and B&O Rolling stock. Take care and enjoy your day everyone I’ll check in later.
2DC6FBED-F5E4-4DCF-A076-DAEBD2182A3F.jpeg
323BD557-62C7-49A1-BBD2-F15E37EC5F7C.jpeg
0CBB4BD6-C35D-436E-B9DC-089FD62C6011.jpeg
36F601C1-071D-43C8-BBED-32C83DECA109.jpeg
12423EA0-2CC9-42BA-94BA-EBA6ECF31F0A.jpeg
8475640F-4301-4041-A703-3F4A51105BF3.jpeg
2851DE07-ECD8-4982-BEF6-F5A34C3ABE31.jpeg
2865BE03-BC64-46FA-80F2-95E7B4D23FFE.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Morning y'all. Happy Sunday! 46° and Sunny right now, going to 62° later. Forecast calls for a whole week of sunny Fall weather. I won't complain at all. It did get down to 43° on the front porch, while the local weather station reported 38° for a low.

FDNY Engine Co. #74 has a new Probie.
New Member, Engine 74 FDNY.jpg

This one's for you, Chet:
Broadway Limited at Englewood, IL August 1948.jpg

August 1948 at Englewood, IL shortly before the new equipment came on line. Still in the 1938 Two Tone Red scheme. (FOM).
MACK CF Mahanoy City PA.jpg

Mack CF Cab from the seventies, reported to still be in service.....cant beat a Bulldog Mack.
Spirit of St. Louis, # 31 out of Indianapolis 1970.jpg

More dirty. hard working E8s, a 1970s #31 the "Spirit of St. Louis" out of Indy for St. Louis.
Good stuff to cover all interests this morning. Have a great day.

Troy. Your layout is really shaping up the top looks good even though you have to sand a little. Thanks for the updates. I’m sorry but you will have to wait till next Spring to see any Baby Chicks. I only buy them around late March early April maybe I’ll have a O Scale special car built by them to haul them 😆.
Be sure to put KFC logos on the rolling stock.

Many years ago, in my life as a news photographer, I heard on the morning traffic report that a farm truck hauling straw had overturned on I-465 in the NW corner of Indianapolis. This corner of the interstate actually cut through Boone County, the coverage area of the paper I worked for. So, off I went to photograph it.

That section has a "dogleg" underneath it. Big curve at elevation to change the beltway from W-bound to S-bound, with the dogleg underpass (Now I-865) WB.

turns out it wasn't straw. It was semi hauling live chickens in plastic flat cages off to the processing plant for the Colonel. Driver took the curve a tad too fast. Trailer shifted, tagged the guardrail, and kept tipping. Tractor and front of the trailer stayed upright.

Crates of live chickens scattered and busted open.

Drivers on the dogleg were pelted with either cages of chickens, or (the lucky ones) got loose chickens raining on them.

Fortunately, no humans were injured, though several cars were dented, and windshields cracked.

But, I got an award from UPI Indiana, and the Hoosier State Press Association for this shot.

So, be careful on the curves with those chicks.
Chicken.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back