Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo! How's it going. It's partially cloudy, and the sun is still filtered by smoke from the Pacific Coast fires. I cannot smell the smoke as the weather service advisory stated that the smoke is between 20,000 and 30,000 ft. Sure dims the sunlight. Low this morning was 48°, lowest it's been since May.

The spillover effect from the Covid Quarantine, is that Jersey people are nuttier than ever. Last night the 9-1-1 switchboards were inundated with calls about a UFO visible in Hudson, Essex and Bergen Counties....It was the Goodyear Blimp flying over the Meadowlands, during a Football game...

Went for my quarterly check-up with my Primary Doctor, yesterday. Added an OTC allergy medicine to my cocktail of allergy / asthma medications. Seems I'm anemic...Otherwise I'm ok 'till the next visit in December. Friday, I see the knee surgeon one more time (until it's time to replace the next knee).

Lee: Nice F7 project.

Jerry:
I like the AF ad. Hughie, 3/16" is S Scale. and also O-27.

Willie: Nice wildlife photos. Looks like you could use more Deer...How 'bout I send you some....;) Since my knee surgery, I no longer use a pillow.

Troy: You are making nice progress on your layout.

MU at Tulpehocken CH Branch 09-14-1963.jpg

PRR MU at Tulpehocken (Philadelphia), on Chestnut Hill branch. 9/14/1963
Coast Line 12-12-1977.jpg

Coastline Westbound at Holmdel, NJ 1976, under Conrail / NJDOT auspices.

I lived all but 4 years of my life in flat Indiana. I don't want to look at more flat. I don't want to model flat.

When we lived in LA LA Land, I enjoyed the terrain but missed the trees and the greenery.

Looks like I will be modeling lush forested hills and/or mountains!
You'll get claustrophobia ... I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast after 25 + years I moved into the woods . I got claustrophobic at times I felt walled in. I get the same way about water , I get more than 8 hrs drive from the Gulf and it bugs me .

Ahh... Recreational Farming , my father did that for a while with cows.

Afternoon All,

Got dragged out grocery shopping at 3 locations o_O this morning. Got into the train room after lunch and hooked up power for the trackwork yesterday. I mainly wanted to test the new track but decided to test all of it together with mixed results. The F3 had no issues. My 2-8-8-2 seems to have a drive train issue in the front 4 drive wheels. It seems like any kind of curve (28.5 and 30" radius) the front drive wheels just spin (no noise). Prior testing had none of these issues and the only thing different track wise is one T/O. Tomorrow I'll give my Dad's 2-6-6-2 a spin tomorrow and see how it does. There is always something:(.

Troy- I have a small notebook from Dollar Tree next to the computer that I make notes in. It's the only way I "remember". Good to see you have your plan figured out and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Lee- Nice looking F unit.

Joe- Nice photos.

Garry- Never been to Cincinnati other than to drive through going to somewhere else.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Boris, those PC F units are really showing their age. Surprised to see those older coaches still being used even in 1976.

Jerome: Those diesels only saw a washer every 90 days or so.... The P-70s coaches lasted a long time...Ultimately,under State Auspices, the pictured portion of the railroad was electrified, leaving only the West (South) end running diesel. Oh yes, the PC diesels got one more overhaul and repaint as NJT power. Like the Energizer Bunny...

Sherrel. Happy Birthday hope you enjoyed it

Troy. A Garden Railway I’ve seen a few of them but I have enough now to take care of. Fort Wayne I’ve been there lost of time not a bad place

Joe. Thanks for the complement and nice Pics

Curt. Yes it seems there’s always something keep us posted and Thanks for the complement

This evening after work I made a consistent and tested the F7 ran very well I’ll post a video tomorrow but here some pics of it and some rolling stock. The Armour Reefer I painted/ decaled some years ago. I also built the Autocars. Think I’m going to order some air horns for the F7 and add some more goodies to it. Good night and be safe

CCEE9B99-4A3B-410F-A9BD-0FED7DC1BFCB.jpeg
3D34FE9E-4832-4EC5-AF02-D33B643E3E3C.jpeg
B4AC5C2C-454E-483C-9F07-D951D7667F84.jpeg
B93104BA-1B88-46CC-9C7F-77517EA90D09.jpeg
D216CCF9-4B0E-4201-86C8-5B5F623B07D2.jpeg
E2443B8B-6CDD-423B-B430-5D94C342FB22.jpeg
F7CDAF15-C6EC-4F2D-8F2E-30F6B40D5ECF.jpeg
2D811EBF-DA06-47E2-B053-EC23C41BBB1F.jpeg
90AB7332-B01A-4840-BD1E-6F2C0398D073.jpeg
F7EE52D3-D244-47CA-A38D-F5DF1BE97285.jpeg

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 61*F, calm and dark in my Central MD neighborhood. The smoke from the West Coast really dimmed the sunlight earlier today, made it seem just like it does during a partial solar eclipse.

Before I forget - thanks for all the "likes" you guys left on my last couple of posts on Friday, even though they had no photos. I'm just feeling too dang lazy at the moment to go back and capture names from that many pages ago...

My weekday mrr time has been seriously curtailed since I resumed my treadmill regimen two weeks ago, after discovering I'd put on an extra 17 lbs o_O since my last doctor visit in March. I've been too sedentary working from home these past 6 months, and it finally caught up with me! I don't mind the exercising so much, but the whole routine - drive over to my daughter's house [it's her treadmill], change into my running garb, run for ~45 minutes, shower-off the sweat and change into fresh street clothes, then drive home - that uses up 2 hours of my free time every Monday - Wednesday - Friday, that I might otherwise have had for mrr. [Geez there I go complaining again, I guess I should be thankful to God that - at my age - I still have the strength and health to actually do these exercises...]

Sherrell - a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ya!

Troy - your layout is coming along nicely. Seems like no matter how carefully you plan, something always doesn't seem to fit as well in real life as it did on paper [been there done that].

Lee - your O scale stuff is lookin' good, I don't normally see very much of that in here. The vehicles really stand out, especially that GMC box cab (I think there is a nickname for it but I can't remember what it is...) - wish I could find one of those in HO!

Guy - that "staging" yard in the photo you shared on page 26 just "cries out" to be modeled!

Joe - enjoyed seeing wide-angle views of your layout (pg 24).

Everyone else - wish I had enough time to comment on all of your fine pics but that's not the case tonight, so my "likes" will have to suffice for now...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Good evening Shop Dwellers! 61*F, calm and dark in my Central MD neighborhood. The smoke from the West Coast really dimmed the sunlight earlier today, made it seem just like it does during a partial solar eclipse.

Before I forget - thanks for all the "likes" you guys left on my last couple of posts on Friday, even though they had no photos. I'm just feeling too dang lazy at the moment to go back and capture names from that many pages ago...

My weekday mrr time has been seriously curtailed since I resumed my treadmill regimen two weeks ago, after discovering I'd put on an extra 17 lbs o_O since my last doctor visit in March. I've been too sedentary working from home these past 6 months, and it finally caught up with me! I don't mind the exercising so much, but the whole routine - drive over to my daughter's house [it's her treadmill], change into my running garb, run for ~45 minutes, shower-off the sweat and change into fresh street clothes, then drive home - that uses up 2 hours of my free time every Monday - Wednesday - Friday, that I might otherwise have had for mrr. [Geez there I go complaining again, I guess I should be thankful to God that - at my age - I still have the strength and health to actually do these exercises...]

Sherrell - a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ya!

Troy - your layout is coming along nicely. Seems like no matter how carefully you plan, something always doesn't seem to fit as well in real life as it did on paper [been there done that].

Lee - your O scale stuff is lookin' good, I don't normally see very much of that in here. The vehicles really stand out, especially that GMC box cab (I think there is a nickname for it but I can't remember what it is...) - wish I could find one of those in HO!

Guy - that "staging" yard in the photo you shared on page 26 just "cries out" to be modeled!

Joe - enjoyed seeing wide-angle views of your layout (pg 24).

Everyone else - wish I had enough time to comment on all of your fine pics but that's not the case tonight, so my "likes" will have to suffice for now...

Cheers!
Ken that’s a Crackerbox GMC and it HO that’s my HO layout your looking at the O Scale has a third rail. Thanks for the complement

GUYS, THANKS so much for the Birthday Wishes - In order to accomodate more of you, I have decided to extend the time for an additional 24 hours in order for those who did not contribute to my BD Fund to "cough" it up!

It was another ho-hum day here with a very HOT outside at 99 and a very low humidity - I missed the low in the humidity but it is only up to 30% at this time.
More of the same tomorrow.

The daughter, hubby and G-son came over with cake, ice cream, and strawberries with whip creme - sure was good.
I am full and will head up to crash in a few. I don't know why I keep waking up at 3"30 - 4 AM, but it needs to stop!

Sherrel. Happy Birthday hope you enjoyed it

Troy. A Garden Railway I’ve seen a few of them but I have enough now to take care of. Fort Wayne I’ve been there lost of time not a bad place

I dunno man... think about it. Chickens on trains. What's not to love?

As for Indiana, we've got lots of forests. And Cornfields. In between all of the corn and soybeans, you'll find forests.

When we lived in Calif. we tried to find places that had TREES in large quantities. Joshua Tree Nat'l Park was too deserty. Yosemite was gorgeous, but 8 hours away. Finally got a membership to Huntington Gardens. My happy spot was sitting in the Chinese or Japanese gardens, surrounded by trees and water.

Noodled more with the layout last night. Trying to figure where the turnouts need to go for sidings and passing no pics yet since not much has changed

Good Morning all. Flo. Coffee and a English Muffin

Troy. I guess I could make a Chicken car and haul them around. I always liked southern Indiana the best around Evansville hope you get your turn outs figured out

Toot. Glad to see you posted and up to you regular mischief I miss you her when you don’t post,

Yesterday I ran the F7 UP did very good and here’s a video for you. I think I’m going to order some air horns for it and put a front coupler on it and call it done. Thanks for the complements and likes yesterday I’ll check in later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back