Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 63° in this neighborhood. Looking at the extended forecast, mild days with temperatures between 65° in the morning to 85° in the afternoon. However it's supposed to be cloudy most days, so I took the opportunity yesterday with no wind to put the winter cover on our above ground pool. Water temperature had dropped to 72° and with no real chance of warming up, we're done for the year. Hated to do it as we really enjoy our pool. While we can sometimes make it until the end of the month, it ain't happening this year. We did get to use it for 16 weeks this summer, so that isn't too bad. I am not going to pay for heating that much water! I'd rather spend my money on model trains and beer.

How about something a little different today Flo, I'll take a couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits this morning. Save the coffee for these other guys, I'll take my usual OJ on the rocks.

Thanks to all who liked and commented on yesterday's new assembly post; Patrick, GT, Joe, Sherrel, Karl, Guy, Justin, Chad, Garry, Jerome, Rick, Tom O, Ken, Curt, Phil, Tom, Lee, Louis, James.

Since I spent all morning on household chores and convalescent care, and most of the afternoon winterizing and covering up the pool, I ended up with very little time in the train shed. I couldn't really get too deeply into anything because of the limited time. I did fix the over-painted yellow spots on both signs and applied the appropriate dry transfer decals.

09-12-20 001.JPG

09-12-20 003.JPG

Here's a preliminary view inside the Diner. That's Mel in the kitchen.
09-12-20 004.JPG

Through the window.
09-12-20 005.JPG

Next step on the interior is to add the counter stools, paint should be dry today and I found and exposed the mounting holes hidden under the floor decal yesterday. Haven't started on the pie cases yet. They go into those slots on each side of the counter.
I placed a lot of it together so you could get an idea of what it may look like later.
09-12-20 006.JPG

And the canopy out front.
09-12-20 007.JPG

I am having trouble painting the canopy supports however. I actually started on them a few weeks back and worked off and on on them. They will take some more time and a lot of patience.
09-12-20 008.JPG

I switched to a new finer paintbrush yesterday to try. I think that it may be a partial answer to my issue.

Troy - Good luck with the plumbing work. I generally find plumbing to be relatively simple, but it is always in hard to get to places.
Tom - Yep! you posted last evening about the same time I usually go to bed.
Lee - Congratulations on your milestone. Picture #6 in your post this morning looks like it is in a cave! Is that some secret underground government lab?

Lots of memories regarding 9/11 yesterday. We each took it in our own way.:confused:

Everybody have a great Saturday and don't go near Karl's or he'll lasso you into assisting with yard or auto work! And don't go to Sherrel's for breakfast this morning.

Good morning all. Bright start just waiting for t/s later.

GUY- Thanks for all the pix's. OCT. issue of TRAINS mag shows CN going from coast to coast and down to N'Orleans. Whats the name of your town - I''ve forgotten it. Would the name- JOHN CALLAN mean anything to you ??

LEE- Do I remember rightly you run O scale ? If so, would a CORGI PETER PAN TRAILWAYS bus be of interest ? New in box.

Thanks again to all who post pictures .
Prayers and best wishes to all .
Phil

Guy- Is that a fire extinguisher on the front of the CN loco or a remote control device?
I made a blow-up of that device. It's not a fire extinguisher, and I don't believe it's a remote either. It Looks like some kind of portable pressure meter, to me. - Someone reading this knows for sure, though!
CN 5326_SD40-2W 09-10-2020.jpg

Good Morning, Everyone! It's a day off Saturday morning, and it's still dark outside at 6:30am; 45 Farenheight with rain expected. It's a sit back and relax day! - Suppose I'll have 2 eggs over-easy along with some BQued pork shish-kabob. And I can afford to keep the coffee coming, as I don't have to lift the toilet off the floor.

Thanks for all the likes on my photos. Today, I'm going to catalog some 300 of them that I took over the last couple of weeks, and then get them saved on a flash drive. I expect someone will appreciate them someday, when I'm long gone and turned to dust.

I drove to Blue Ridge, Alberta yesterday afternoon to pick up the wife at work. Low and behold, I was stopped at the highway crossing by the SD40 pair that are usually switching in my town area. Didn't know they travelled out to Blue Ridge to switch there, as well.
I was first in a line of traffic caring people eager to get to work, so I only had time to take two photos, again through the windshield of my truck:
BluRdg_09-11-2020.jpg

The engines were switching boxcars and center-beam flats for the West Fraser lumber operation in Blue Ridge. The wife works there. They have a sawmill and an MDF plant. I worked there as an electrical contractor for 7yrs.
GUY- Whats the name of your town - I''ve forgotten it. Would the name- JOHN CALLAN mean anything to you ??
Thanks for noticing my photos, Flip! I live in Whitecourt, Alberta. The village of Blue Ridge is 20mins east. I do not know the name John Callan. Then again, I hardly know anyone in town, due to the transient nature of my life's work.

Anyway, I suppose it's getting too long. I leave you with a photo of Blue Ridges gantry crane at the sawmill:
BlRdgGntry_09-11-2020.jpg

Have a good one!

Good morning all. Bright start just waiting for t/s later.

GUY- Thanks for all the pix's. OCT. issue of TRAINS mag shows CN going from coast to coast and down to N'Orleans. Whats the name of your town - I''ve forgotten it. Would the name- JOHN CALLAN mean anything to you ??

LEE- Do I remember rightly you run O scale ? If so, would a CORGI PETER PAN TRAILWAYS bus be of interest ? New in box.

Thanks again to all who post pictures .
Prayers and best wishes to all .
Phil

Flip. I’m sorry but it’s way to new for my layout but thanks for thinking of me

Sorry, CHARLIE, nothing RR related today! I almost have the Green Yard Container full again - should complete it today with another section of the yard perimeter looking better than it has after 5 years of neglect. There won't be very much left to do after today, but I am sure that the Spousal Unit will decide that something more will -- "make it look so much better"?

Speaking of the Unit! She is progressing very nice. Still dropping weight but at a slower pace. She is sticking religiously to her instructions on what to eat and how much. I am very proud of her! Now she is saying - Why didn't I do this 10 years ago - I can say the same about my smoking! We all have our crosses to bear!

LEE - before I forget (again) ... What scale are those "Piggies" and who makes them?
Loved the Autocar truck pics ... Is the underground storage facility just North of KC across the river? If so I have toured one of those places back in 1963. We went with friends and spent several hours - amazed at the size of those underground facilities.
Love the looks of your Autocar! I can't get excited about the "newer" trucks on the road - they excite me about as much as all the different "jellybean" cars - they all look about the same. The older Freightliners, Peterbilts, Internationals, Autocars, and Macks all had their own personalities.

My HO scale International R190 (swift) tandem box truck should be here today. I hope that I can modify it to accept the tank that I already have. Then it will be time to uncover the "blasting" booth, build my paint booth - courtesy of the Wheeler man - and see if I can make something again.
LEE - You asked me about the truck a while back - let's see if i can find a picture that I made from a matchbook cover. I am sick that I did not make oil field, refinery, truck and train photos where I grew up! It's all gone back to the forest almost like it was never there? The RR working the refinery was the 'READER RAILROAD'.
Berry Petroleum.jpg

Last edited:
Sherrel. Thanks. The cave is in Valmeyer Illinois I’ve been to the one your talking about in KC. Your right these new trucks are a joke they just don’t look right just like the Boxcars I see everyday. That truck is a RD 220H International I now remember you posting it a long time ago. These little piggy’s I’m painting are Lionel O27 but there actually a little bigger than o27 there semi scale between true O scale and o27.

Sherrel, Lee, While we're on trucks, you will appreciate this pic. Lee, this spring will be 53 years in the trucking industry. Last week I gave my notice I will be retiring "again" this next March. to my trainroom....
View attachment 117238

Dave. As people say to Millitary Personal all the time I’m saying this to you. “Thank you for your service” and Congratulations on your retirement. Dad retired after 43yrs. Nice pic of that twinstick Peterbilt little window always a favorite of my. The only twin stick I drove was a 1964 Mack B model shuttling trailers a cross town one winter at the end of the day I had a water blister in the palm of my hand big as a Quarter my Dad laughed at me.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday (or the weekend if you get a weekend).

This morning I learned that I CAN get a new toilet in the Toyota Camry. BUT I had to take it out of the box. Tank in the front, bowl in the back seat.

So far, I've added a flange adapter to get it just above the floor level, and caulked the holy heck out of it. Wife decided I should paint the bathroom too, since we can get behind the toilet without painting the tank as well. So, I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Toilet install probably on Monday, just to make sure the overly thick caulk has time to cure.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 11.12.21 AM.png

Howdy ...

Thanks to all who commented on my pictures and liked them. Much appreciated.

Willie .... Your Diner is looking fantastic so far.

Guy, Lee, and Sherrel .... All of your photos are interesting.

Troy ... have fun with your toilet project.

Everybody ....... Have a good Saturday.

Good morning from my section of Wisconsin. It will finally hit 70 again after 4 days no higher then 55. The rain does continue but more of a mist now compared to the nice drizzles and down pours we had received this week. Tree building will continue after I pack up the 40 trees that were sold last night get completed today. I generally don’t sell my trees but occasionally I will to folks that have seen my trees, this guy is a repeater. This has thrown off my highly precision schedule of layout things to do, NOT. What I don’t do today will eventually get done.

Thanks guys for those wonderful truck pictures. I never knew about the storage caves in Illinois but did know of the KC ones. Be safe, enjoy your day. TomO

Sherrel, Lee, While we're on trucks, you will appreciate this pic. Lee, this spring will be 53 years in the trucking industry. Last week I gave my notice I will be retiring "again" this next March. to my trainroom....
View attachment 117238
Driving a twin stick is something I never had to learn to do. I've driven many trucks I've had to split shift over the years, but at least it's all on one shifter. Sort of.

Driving a twin stick is something I never had to learn to do. I've driven many trucks I've had to split shift over the years, but at least it's all on one shifter. Sort of.
My only truck driving experience was moving a tractor in our yard at work about 200' forward and backward. Unless one counts driving a U-Haul box truck as truck driving, I don't. I always admired our truck drivers for their willingness to get the load from here to there and return with their back-hauls safely. What a great way to see the country and get paid for it.
Regarding back-hauls, our drivers hauled a lot of produce back from Colorado and South Texas after delivering loads of windows, and there was always several hundred pounds of onions, potatoes or pinto beans in the trailers. My buddy the dispatcher always let me know what was available. Our drivers and yard crew always got first picking though! The shrubbery from Mississippi generally ended up in the dumpster. Palletized loads pretty much put an end to "trailer diving".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back