Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all Flo Pancakes and sausage

Guy nice pics again I like the CN boxcar

Sherrel. I never was good at plumbing but like you I can glue pipes

George. Nice floor

Curt. More progress I see nice. Thanks for the complement I don’t think I’ll be weathering it

Willie nice kits and some nice pics of the layout

Sorry no bench work last night Thursdays seems to always wipe me out. Let us not for get this day the pain still stings. Take care and be safe

Greetings one and all!

Flo, I need another donut from the secret Amish stash. Yep, the arm is still sore from the Pneumonia vaccination. Those donuts are better than ibuprofen.

59° and dark here. High might hit the low 70s today.

Not much got accomplished yesterday. Our condo association rented a big dumpster for fall cleaning. Other than "no paint, no dead bodies" we were mostly free to put in whatever. So it was garage cleaning-out time. Had some stuff like the steel from the old garage door opener track, and old curtain rods, and worn-out garden decor (leaky gas fire pit) to toss out.

The basement used to have about a dozen 4ft florescent two-tube lights in the ceiling. Rather ugly, since they didn't box them in. Just screwed to the floor joists above and covered by a drop ceiling. I've converted two over to LED bulbs, and decommission the rest. As I write this, I realized there are still four decommissioned units still in the ceiling. Now I need to get those out before the dumpster leaves.

After that, the postdude showed up with LINES WEST about the GN from Minot west. Not as informative as Lines East. Definitely two different types of books. LE is more about what the various sectors handled, and how they grew. LW is about the motive power, how it changed, and a big look at the Cascade tunnels and Stevens Pass. The best parts, however, are the pics in LW. The captions alone have a ton of useful information that should have been developed out as essays. BUT, once I understood how the tome was organized, I found a lot of info - mostly visual - that will help with my layout.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 70.
Where were you and what were you doing 19 years ago today? I was driving a rental truck loaded with our possessions to a new location, to help a new company I had helped found restore vintage warplanes.

Greetings from smoky Oregon. On the local news last night, the police guided the news crew down hwy 99 and then back again. Hwy 99 is the old hwy that goes from Medford, thru Phoenix, Talent, to Ashland. I have been on that road more times than I can count. Anyway, the road is still closed to the public. The devastation the news crew was showing is just jaw dropping! Both sides of the road are burnt. There are areas that did not get burned, there is no in between, if the fire got to it, it is totally gone, if the fire didn't get to it, it is completely unscathed. Very very sad! The same kind of feeling you got when one first saw the Twin Towers destruction. The smoke index for towns on the west side of the Cascades in southern Oregon is so bad that it has gone from the "very unhealthy" level, to the "hazardous" zone. Stay inside is the recommendation. The wind is currently carrying the smoke out over the Pacific, but later today it's supposed to make a U-turn and head over to the East side of the Cascades. I am not one to wish time away, but, come on winter!
As Terry asked, I was in the welding shop, that was my second day on the BNSF. Karl, you got it, TGIF!!
Every body be safe.

Where were you and what were you doing 19 years ago today? I was driving a rental truck loaded with our possessions to a new location, to help a new company I had helped found restore vintage warplanes.
I was hard at work. My boss and a fellow manager were out to visit a vendor and I got a call from my excited boss. They were watching a television in the vendor's lobby and were watching it all unfold. He had called me to ask me if I knew what was happening. Of course I didn't since we didn't have TV's in our place. Since he was a retired military guy, he gave a colorful (somewhat vulgar) description and said that they were coming right back to the plant. The rest is history. Eventually someone in the office got a radio from their car and set it up in a conference room.

Tweaking on that 2-10-2 is done. The final test is a couple of laps around the layout, through turnouts and crossovers, no hiccups allowed! It passed. Now for a light weathering, window glazing, and lenses.

Santa Fe 3840.JPG

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 61°. While only getting into the upper 70's today, tomorrow and the next ten days will be back to normal into the upper 80's and low 90's.

How about a big stack of blueberry pancakes with an even bigger stack of sausage patties this morning Francine.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday regarding my upcoming project; Garry, Troy, Guy, Sherrel, Karl, Chad, Jerome, Tom O, Phil, Patrick, GT, Lee, James, Louis, Chet, Curt, Justin, Tom, Tom H.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I started on that Woodland Scenic kit of D's Diner. They call it a "Pre-Fab" kit, but the only thing pre-fabbed about it is the building is one piece instead of four walls. Not a problem for me. I did some painting of parts.
09-11-20 001.JPG

I really need to clear off the excess clutter on my workbench, but I feel like I might lose or misplace something there.
Those yellow dots were tough until I had a little practice.
09-11-20 005.JPG

I'll fix those today.
This kit comes with dry transfers instead of decals, including this one for the floor which didn't seat all the way correctly.
09-11-20 002.JPG

OK, though as the walls will cover that up. The three carved out places on the left are for tabs on other parts to go into.
The back wall and the roof trim came out better.
09-11-20 003.JPG

They provide two different sets in case you don't like one.
09-11-20 004.JPG

Those pies in the pie cases are going to be a bitch to do.
09-11-20 006.JPG

Even though they will be hard to see in the finished model, I am quite anal about such things and I will detail them to the max.
Kit comes with some figures that have to be assembled. Here are some after gluing and painting the flesh tones. DON'T LOOK Sherrel! ;)

09-11-20 008.JPG

The half figure on the right is going to be seated in a car that has to be assembled as well. The two waitresses will be tricky to paint the way I remember them from a bygone era. Still deciding on a uniform color.

Tom O - You're really getting after it on the trees.
Joe - Best wishes on your "can of worms". By the way, how's the knee recovery going?
Sherrel - Congratulations on the water leak repair. Like others have noted, contractors aren't always too reliable.;)

Everyone have a great day. Stay safe and look forward to the upcoming weekend.

Last edited:
Morning all,

Cloudy with some scattered rain and 54* in Doo-Dah.

As the email server is officially up and running normally for the first time in a week and a half, I have time for coffee.

I was in late this morning as I had to drive the wife to work. She has her heart stress test this afternoon, so I had to get email working. Work so far is a lot calmer.

I really need to clear off the excess clutter on my workbench, but I feel like I might lose or misplace something there

Willie: Me too...I lose things in plain sight, so that's not an issue...it's more like "Why did I save that?" :rolleyes:

Joe - Best wishes on your "can of worms". By the way, how's the knee recovery going?
Willie: The can of worms is the likelihood, that I will get to add another daily med to my daily routine. My goal was to reduce the daily number. :(
I completed Physical Therapy, having met or exceeded all of my "goals". I do home exercises, and have increased my walking outside the house.
The Walker and Cane have been stored in the garage for almost two months. Meanwhile, only half of my leg below the knee is still swolen, and I'm regaining more feeling. Downside...more feeling, more soreness. Over all things are going well. I see the surgeon next Friday, hopefully the last time until it's time to do the other knee.

B&O Passenger Geeps at Silver Spring, MD around 1959.jpg

Silver Spring, MD around 1959.

Good Morning from out here! 57 with a high? of 94, but only reached 90 yesterday.I think that the high layer of smoke may be effecting the temp somewhat. :Looking at the LA news - I don't see where there is anything left to burn - unbelievable devastation!

JOE - like that "jeep" whatever model that is - a beautiful photo.
I hope that your knee recovers before you have the other "repaired".

Willie - Sorry that I cannot help on the uniforms?
I am not sure that I care for that Diner kit ... need to see more?

PuPs are begging me for their morning treats - better get them off me ???

As Arnold said, "I'll be back"!

Good morning.

Recalling 9/11/2001.

Shelley and I were in Halifax, NS, Canada where we arrived on 9/9/2001. We flew to Halifax from Nashville, TN on American Airlines changing planes in Boston, MA.

Early on 9/11, I turned on the TV in our hotel room. CNN was broadcasting a boring story, and I forget what it was about. Suddenly the show was interrupted. ...... Breaking news. ...

A plane had hit one of the WTC towers. We spent the day watching the horrors.

About 50 trans-Atlantic flights were diverted to the Halifax airport and parked there. All flights to the US were ended. ..... We wondered how to get home and when.

Several days later, we rode VIA Rail's Ocean to Montreal. We had a room in a Budd sleeper ahead the Budd dome-observation car. It was an overnight trip of 22 hours.

About an hour after arriving in Montreal, we boarded a VIA train to Toronto. We stayed two nights at the Royal York Hotel next to Union Station in Toronto. .

Next, we boarded Amtrak's International which passed through Michigan on its way to Chicago. There was a delay of several hours at the border. All train passengers got off the train to ride busses to Port Huron MI where we got back on the train. We rode the train to Flint, MI.

At Flint, we got off the train and rented a car. We drove to Nashville where we got our car to drive home.

Prayers of rememberance for all who died on 9/11.

I was newly married (just over a year) and we were living in S. NH. I was unemployed due to the dot-com crash and had started to try and grow a side business I had selling reloading equipment and I was on my computer in my basement office. My dad emailed something about a plane hitting one of the world trade towers. He didn't go into details and I thought he meant a small plane had hit -- like had happened a time or two with the Empire State Building.

A short while later I went and checked the news to read about it and that is when I saw what was going on (and the confusion surrounding it). I ran upstairs and turned on the TV and spent the whole day watching TV. My wife was supposed to volunteer some time helping clean a church building down by Boston but I told her to skip it as they were trying to get people OUT of the city and didn't need someone driving Route 2 pretty much intgo the city.

Alan ....... The ATSF 2-10-2 is fabulous. I'm envious !

Willie .... Yoru DIner will be a beautiful model based on the work you are showing.

Below is a series of pictures showing a coal train I operated this week.

First is some switching of loaded cars at the mine.

50328474322_b50a9c5fea_c.jpg

Second, two SD's lead a train away from the mine and onto a bridge.

50328475682_88731796f3_k.jpg

Third, the coal train stopped in Blackhawk where a Zephyr is at the station and NP F-units arrived with an ore train.

50328296616_8e7ccba8cd_k.jpg

Fourth, the train continues eastward.

50328297741_de1a04a99d_h.jpg

Last, the coal train arrives in the City of Heartland.

50328479812_d0617aaeb6_k.jpg

Right then! - This is weird!
I'm only less than a year studying trains, but I thought CN had the northern territory and CP kept to themselves in the south. Kinda like the Oilers and the Flames; the Cowboys and Indians, the Martians and the Venetians! What's this trespasser doing up here then:
View attachment 117177
View attachment 117178
Caught him hanging about in the CN staging area west of town, just this very afternoon.

McLeod: Living in southeastern Wisconsin speaking about the CP and CN lines, I have a CN mainline just two miles to the west of my home and a CP line just two miles south of my home. In the fall and winter when the leaves are gone I can hear the engines and horns from either lines. Just a mile from my house is the old Bug Line, which was part of the Milwaukee Road system and operated as a branch line from northern Milwaukee to the west to the town of Merton, Wisconsin.

The former Bug Line is now a Rec Trail.

Greg

McLeod: Living in southeastern Wisconsin speaking about the CP and CN lines, I have a CN mainline just two miles to the west of my home and a CP line just two miles south of my home.
Yes. but, do they share?
I've been watching and photographing the local rail traffic for nearly a year now, and that's the first identifiable CP car I've seen in the hoard. Seen lots of lease cars and lots of CN, but, no CP until this one showed up. CP is through Calgary, and CN runs through Edmonton.
I'm not sure that CP knows they have a car missing; then again, I don't know a whole lot about it.

Good Morning everyone. 55F here this morning, with a cool down expected over the weekend. Then a warm up, and then a cool down. This is the time of year we become yo-yo play for mother nature.
Just coffee and toast this morning. I'm expecting a load of gravel and then black dirt to come in at my shed/fence job; so I have to be there. The client is foreign, and dosen't have a clue how to handle this type of work. So she's brought me out of retirement; I was once a general contractor.

Before I go, I'll leave you with another photo of the pulp/sawmill operation here in the town I live:
Pulp_09-09-2020(2).jpg

And for the locomotive modelers in you all, another detail shot of an SD40-2W. You've seen this engine before, but, maybe not this close up in a good sunlight.
SD40-2W_09-10-2020.jpg

Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back