Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 69° in this part of the world. The cool front has sort of arrived, the wind is out of the north at a paltry 5 mph. Rain shower formed just north of here and is moving north, away from us. Temperature should go up to 75° before dropping all afternoon to a low of 60° overnight. Not much of a cool front! By Friday, we'll be back into the 80's. Right now it is raining over a wide area about 50 miles west, extending all the way across Oklahoma into Patrick's backyard.
Special day today in the SFW home. It's our 48th wedding anniversary! And I remember that my father told me it wouldn't last! Needless to say, we will not be going out dancing tonight for a variety of reasons, mainly surgery recovery.

Good morning there Flo. Make it a pair of over easy eggs with a big stack of sausage patties and a toasted English Muffin for me this morning. Save me a cinnamon roll if Troy makes it back here with any.

Thanks for all of the reactions and comments regarding yesterday's post; Garry, Guy, Tom O, Phil, Jerome, Lee, Patrick, Justin, Karl, Sherrel, Tom, Hughie.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I took a couple of pictures of my nearly completed (as far as I intend to go for now) project area.
First a shot of the two industries on the south side of the piggyback yard.
View attachment 117104
A close up of Ginette's Organic Foods distribution center
View attachment 117107
Next to it is Stephen's Grocery Distributor.
View attachment 117108
Both of these are Walther's kits, renamed from their original names.
Here's a shot of the large tenement apartment that I need to add interiors to.View attachment 117111
And an overall shot from a different aisle that shows the undeveloped area under the pencil. Suggestions welcome.
View attachment 117112
By the way, that apartment building is a kitbashed kit from Model Tech Studios. I am not sure if they still manufacture it.

Lee - Nice work on the truck.
Tom O - Good news regarding the recovery and gradual resumption of normal life. 300 trees! I don't envy you, I hate making trees.
Garry - Thanks for the information.
Dave (railBuilder Dhd) - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Looks like you already know your way around.
Tom H - Thanks for coming back. Excellent modeling on the covered hoppers. We need you to stop in more often to keep Sherrel in line.
Karl - I am looking forward to seeing your progress on that GP40.
Troy - Nice progress. Looks like you can fit a siding or two in the loop on the left for industries to switch. You will be much happier with the grade reduction. Best wishes on the doctor visit.
Jerry - You seem to have gotten some of Sherrel's weather, wind storm and nearby wild fire.
Sherrel - I guess that the wealth tax is going to hit you pretty hard! ;) Let's see, green energy, rolling blackouts, earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, wealth tax, highest state income tax in US, (Note: None here in Texas), Gavin Newsom, excessive heat waves. Sure makes me want to move out there! Yea to that! :eek:

Sobering trivia. Here is a picture of my pool, a 24' diameter x 52" tall above ground monstrosity.
View attachment 117113
This thing holds 14,000 gallons of water. That's 112000 pounds or 56 tons. 56 tons! That's in an area about the size of my living room!

Everyone have a great day.
We had one about that size behind one house on a sloping block. It was dug in to the slope and higher up than the basement footings. I always had visions of the wall on the house side splitting open and all that weight and volume, washing out the lot. You wouldn't of wanted to be walking round the corner just when it did.

Question! Is there a right and left on a railcar? What side is what in relation to the brake wheel? Ships have starboard and port, cars have right and left; so, what about railcars?
I believe at one time it was facing the rear, but later, pairs facing each other to allow clamping on from one position for 2 cars and walk by the next gap. I run mine that way. Here in Australia, the wheels or cross bars (like a wheelnut spinner) are usually, but not always, located centrally along the side sill on both sides.

We had one about that size behind one house on a sloping block. It was dug in to the slope and higher up than the basement footings. I always had visions of the wall on the house side splitting open and all that weight and volume, washing out the lot. You wouldn't of wanted to be walking round the corner just when it did.
I had one split about eleven years ago, due to unseen corrosion behind the plastic liner. It was a slightly smaller pool with only 11,000 gallons. I heard a boom and went to the window to see the water carrying 5- 8" x 8" x 16" concrete blocks over 35' before they stopped. Moved the circulating pump and a 300# sand filter as well. Also flooded under part of the house. Grass was a lot greener and more profuse for a couple of weeks!

PS - Question! Is there a right and left on a railcar? What side is what in relation to the brake wheel? Ships have starboard and port, cars have right and left; so, what about railcars?
As Bob said, there is no front or rear, or right or left. There is an A end and a B end. The easiest way to tell those is the B end has the hand brake wheel/lever.

Joe- Interesting photo. I almost pulled the trigger on a Bowser Pennsy version but decided I have enough shifters already.

Curt: 1. Happy Birthday, 2. I have one of each, a Reading, and a PRR, one for each of the parallel branches ;) Tangent just came out with Sinclair 10000 gallon tankers, and I'm tempted to get a few...Will see what happens.

Learned this afternoon, that I managed to sleep through a 3.0 Earthquake centered about 8 miles from where I live. Occurred around 2AM this morning. 2020 Has been quite a year, eh?

Have a good evening.

Hi and wide from Sun Ship to Sun Oil via PRR - John Curdy.jpg

High and wide from Sun Shipbuilding Co, in Chester PA, to Sun Oil Co, Marcus Hook, PA, a distance of roughly 6 miles. Photo provided by John Curdy. This short move, originated on one PRR Industrial branch, then ran over the Reading (trackage rights) for a mile, then two other PRR industrial branches. All for the cost of a switching charge...

Morning gents. Flo: Scone with clotted cream and a caramel macchiato - What? This isn't the UK and I have to settle for whipped cream? Oh well... ;)

dense fog advisory and 66° today. Highs only in the low 70s.

Been noodling on the layout (no pic since much hasn't changed yet). Waiting on MMR to send me my foam risers so I can block in the downgrade on the left side.

Question 1 – Tunnels (N Scale): - height of tunnels? From track tops up, I'm figuring 2.5-inch clearance. Is that adequate for mainline runs? Modeling 1950s-1960s, and may run observation cars on passenger trains. (I don't have the cars, else I'd measure them.)

Question 2: Turnouts - the first pair I picked up was "large radius" Peco (are those #9 or 10?) - I photocopied those and am tacking them into the layout. BUT, I can see where a tighter curve would be beneficial - industrial sidings and small yards. Is #6 the go-to for those situations? Do I need to find some tighter curved ones? #4?

Thanks

Morning all,

Currently light rain and 48* here in Doo-Dah. Expecting a high near 60*. Goodland Kansas did indeed register the earliest accumulating snow yesterday. It was a lot like Montanan posted in his picture. Not much but any makes the record. It is long gone.

Got home late last night. Darn email server went down and took me a while to get it working again. Vendor that is supposed to assist getting it back didn't call and won't until sometime after 8:00 am. Needless to say, I am running on not much sleep. When I got in this morning, it is processing mail although very slowly. At this time I'll take slow over not at all.

Belated Happy Birthday Curt! I hope it was a good day.

Good Morning all. 73 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Flo Grits and Raisin Toast

Guy nice pics of the Trackmobile my boss bought one for our yard about 10 years ago I’ll try to get a pic of it

Willie. Happy Anniversary and great shots of the layout always enjoy your updates

Joe. Nice pics thanks for sharing

Curt. Happy Birthday Flo can we have a Cupcake with a candle over here please. Curt Thanks for the complement and the layout updates keep getting better.

Patrick. Slow down if you can life to short

Last night I Painted/ Decaled another Piggy this time in one of my top favorite St. Louis Trucking co. Be- Mac.I still have to paint the tires and lights then it’s done. Thanks for the all the complements and likes yesterday. Have a great day everyone.
D3266D69-6846-4830-893C-D20A39D687EB.jpeg
3DEFE677-A1F7-4B72-AEF1-C58104B5F33E.jpeg
6EE7C553-8422-4ED5-9D3A-1F258A01A3C1.jpeg
4C961569-7CD8-4EAA-AAAF-4D6B5E87D5E7.jpeg

Good Morning!
I could rant today, about people who don't show up when they are supposed to, and don't call or even return calls. But, life is too precious to get cranky. So, I'm just going to look at this morning with a positive attitude and keep my head up.

Instead of ranting, I'm going to share some photos I took yesterday when I went downtown. These are through my pick-ups front windshield, when I got stopped at the downtown crossing to let a couple of engines pass. An SD751 and a C44-9W heading out to the holding yard to pick up their train.
View_09-09-2020(1).jpg

View_09-09-2020(2).jpg

View_09-09-2020(3).jpg

Then I got lucky, and caught them leaving town after they had picked up the train. All of those gravel hoppers and rail cars I was taking photos of on holiday Monday, were heading to Edmonton:
View_09-09-2020(4).jpg

The train leaving photo was taken at the same location, but this time, not through the trucks windshield. I heard the train coming, and ran to that spot from the hardware.

I'm hearing Curt is one year smarter as of yesterday. Happy Birthday!
Thank you Karl, Toot, and Terry for answering my left/right question.
Chet - I am super impressed with you're layout pictures. Like the old 1/1 scale pickup you have, too.

Suppose that's long enough, and my coffee is done. Have a good one!

Cooled off very nice last evening where we are at 57 this morning with an expected high of 94 later on. I have not seen hardly any clouds, ex cept smoke, for a very long time - you guys are crushing me with the wetness again!

Hi, FLO, I only had a large salad and a couple of leftover drumsticks for dinner last evening. Please have MEL cook me eggs up with hashbrowns, a handful of bacon, and a plate of biscuits/gravy on the side.

CURT - Late Happy Birthday to you! Once again- a trip around the sun under your belt!

GUY - You are killing me with the photos. That almost head on shot of 5720 is great fr those who may be looking for details to add to a model. Wife here is on a rant too - about people not showing up. She schedules appointment to have one of our electrical reclining chairs repaired - then they reschedule - then they did not show up yesterday - nor did they call!

OK - here comes FLO with a couple plates in hand - after I "polish" them off - I am going to go fix my water leak (at least TRY and fix it?)

Good Morning All. Cloudy and colder than expected at 55° out there. Almost 1" of rain yesterday, mostly just drizzled all day. I was able to mow the east part of the yard before it started, after doing the back and north parts the other day. Just the south side left to do, maybe tomorrow or Saturday. Today being Thursday is the weekly grocery/beer trek, I've run out of fresh veggies.

How about a pair of sausage, egg, cheese and hash browns breakfast burritos this morning Francine. Plenty of spicy Salsa to go with it.

Thanks everyone for the reactions and comments regarding the layout progress pictures yesterday, or was it the pool? Alan, Karl, Guy, Sherrel, Garry, Troy, Chad, James, Patrick, Phil, Rick, Chet, Tom O, Lee, Jerome Tom, Hughie, Jerry, Justin.
And thank you everyone for the Happy Anniversary wishes. Seems like only yesterday...shows how many years of brain cells that I have lost!

I made it out to the train shed for a while yesterday. I had a vision regarding the next project area. While I am not quite done with the piggyback area, I am as far as I planned for now. Yes I'll add details and trees over the next few weeks, just sporadically.
I am looking next at an area between American Plastics Manufacturing and the Superior Body shop; both of which are completed except for the road out front. I already have a small structure from DPM called City Cab Co. Except I will be using it as an HVAC service company. Another Woodland Scenics kit called D's Diner will go next to it.
09-10-20 001.JPG

09-10-20 002.JPG

09-10-20 003.JPG

That's sorta the plan for now.

Curt - Happy belated Birthday.
Troy -
After seeing all the wildfires out in California, looks like wife and I picked a good time to move back to the midwest.
I think that anytime is a good time to move out of CA. Just ask Sherrel!
That's a god idea about recessing the layout legs. That's what I did on the whole thing. With the back side anchored to the wall, nothing is going to move.
Regarding your question this morning about tunnel height. Do you have an NMRA clearance gauge yet? Since I am not N scale, I cannot directly answer your question.
Lee - That's quite the collection of trailers that you have been posting. Neat!
Guy - Many of my freight cars only have graffiti on one side, the side facing the aisle.
Chet - Your comment and photo of the house yesterday reminded me that I mistakenly posted that the kit was Walther's, when it was indeed Woodland Scenics. I sometimes have trouble remembering structure manufacturers.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning.

Sherrel ........ Looking at your breakfast order, I think you must be hungry.

Joe ... That's a big load behind the switcher.

Lee .... I like the Be Mac trailer.

Guy .... It's good seeing CN photos. Keep them coming.

Willie .... I like seeing your continued progress on your layout.

Everybody ..... Happy Model Railroading !

Good Morning!
I could rant today, about people who don't show up when they are supposed to, and don't call or even return calls. But, life is too precious to get cranky. So, I'm just going to look at this morning with a positive attitude and keep my head up.

[/QUOTE]

Your not a telemarketer are you ? I haven't answered any calls or returned any since 1973🙂 .

Good Morning!

Your not a telemarketer are you ? I haven't answered any calls or returned any since 1973🙂 .
[/QUOTE]
Nope, I'm no telemarketer! I'm just an old retired guy waiting on a contractor to do what he said he would do! - Still waiting! - Waiting!

Nope, I'm no telemarketer! I'm just an old retired guy waiting on a contractor to do what he said he would do! - Still waiting! - Waiting!

My father used to have to deal with contractors alot , they would get a call from someone else with a more lucrative pay.He started requireing them to leave a piece of equipment behind before they left or face losing the contract. Usually they would leave some piece of junk behind as job collateral . If they took too long he'd call them up and leave a message that they were being charged storage fees on it .

One time they needed the equipment on the other job , called up and wanted to know if they could come get it. He told em No. But I'll rent it to you.

Good morning. Wisconsin ( my section anyway) has warmed to 52f degrees and the wind chill has finally got to 50. Still making trees , bushes and a hedge which are also my modeling plans for the rest of the week. Great pictures, especially the head on for the CN, great weathering ideas from that. Enjoy your day. TomO

I went into the trainroom, working on the bushes and hedge. I forgot when I use 3m spray glues I need to do it at the paint booth. It just isn’t like the oderless hair spray. I am on break as I come down from a coughing fit and being sky high.

C4706130-45CF-4A66-8BB0-8506804CFDF1.jpeg

90CC1C7D-3C06-4EC6-B105-5784E39E73E3.jpeg

5083CBED-CABA-41A4-9BDD-7B0F2B784DA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back