Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning coffee shop dwellers, welcome to the final Friday of September. Christmas will be here before ya know it...er, huh, what?
EVERYBODY have a safe day, get to work on that layout!
Yeah, we’re already getting people placing orders for Christmas gifts. Trying to stay ahead of backorders on the popular items, I guess.

Morning all,

Supposed to be in the low 90's today and tomorrow and in the low 80's on Monday. We'll see.

Early birthday party this weekend for the eldest grand daughter. Family matters make it hard sometimes to plan things on actual days. So I have to get the yard ready as it's at our house.

chadbag: Sure fooled an ex-son-in-law when I found the stuff he was hiding on his Mac. Never give me command line access. LOL I do think Apple lost out when they could no longer get the PowerPC chips when IBM quit making them. I was working with those in mid-range computers prior to Apple building a computer with them. IMO they're nothing more than a PC with an expensive OS.

IBKen: After 35 years of dealing with computers, you see why I don't care to do DCC at this time. Too much like the computer stuff I do everyday and I want to get away from that in my hobbies.

TrucTrain55: I haven't seen a Skelgas car in years. The town I where I went to HS had a Skelly refinery on the south side, which was then Getty and later Texaco. That refinery is still in operation as HollyFrontier. There was also a Fina refinery on the north side of town as well. That's been long shutdown and the lot cleared, however it's a brownfield due to the years of oil on the site.
Patrick- when we were in high school, one of our league rival’s back athletic fields butted up against the Mobil refinery(now owned by Valero). Mobil was so heavily invested in Paulsboro, that the cover on the marching band’s sousaphone had the Mobil Pegasus on it.

Afternoon All,

All I did today was visit my Mom and Dad then came home and watered the new planted grass since it doesn't look like rain. Tomorrow daughter is bringing the grandkids over and we will bond over Lawn Camp :p.

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Greg- I am really sorry to hear that news. Hopefully you guys will only have minor cases.

Sherrel- I hope you're feeling better.

Ken- I hate when stuff like that happens. Beautiful job on the Geep.

Lee- Thank you. Great job on the truck and Railbox car.

Joe- Great pictures.

Willie- Thank you. The ballasting looks good and that should be a nice building. I'm going with the trees.

Alan- Amazing job.

Tom- Happy 28th Anniversary.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hello all...

I'm at our cabin

+tined (no sp ck) my wife Cathy tested positive fo the Coronavirus. I feel fairly good, but will be here at least a week or more until Cathy tests negative and Cathy is at home. Greg@mnrr
Whoa! Keep safe up there. From what I remember about your medical history, you don't need to be anywhere close to her. Positive thoughts and prayers for you both from me.

Greg(MF)- stay safe & away from your bride. Your compromised immune system doesn’t need any added challenges thrown your way.
Curt, Willie, Lee & Alan- nice pics/updates
TomO- happy anniversary. We’re not every 1/4 of the way.
Joe- keeping Norton busy, I see.
Troy- layout is coming along nicely. Doing an update within the first few days of the update’s availability is like buying a new car in the first model year of new model/new generation. Ya gotta give em time to work out the bugs.
Sherill- hope you’re feeling better soon. GI issues are no fun, indeed.

Spent the day in the train shop working on a few projects. Then decided to stage a few pictures. Hope you enjoy.

20200926_204233.jpg
20200926_204237.jpg

So it is almost 30 minutes after midnight and about 55F. Go up around 70F today.

I worked on my Throttle app a little Friday noght and today, and then I mostly picked up my office and train area as it had gotten very cluttered. Threw away two kitchen sized trash bags full (one was from the wastebasket in the office and the other was newly filled). I also put a bunch of locomotives away that were sitting on my desk for various projects, on the train table, or on a train shelf, but were not in their proper packaging and place. (The locomotive/train clean up itself was Friday night and this evening). I tried each one as I put it away to see if it was working, or needed attention (as in maybe that was the reason it was placed on my desk or train table long ago). A couple I had to put notes in my spreadsheet as they would not work. Need to investigate them at some point.

I also found a KATO ET425 commuter train EMU (German commuter train of the DB company) in its box on the floor in a stack of other stuff. I decided to let this one run a while tonight while I worked on my app -- it would be a good test subject. It is the one in the pic.

I also worked on learning/re-learning some RxSwift programming, as I need it for work -- we've been using it but are all "beginners" with it, and I also mean to write the train throttle app using Rx (reactive) technology. My current app I've been working on is really just a test harness to test the actual code that communicates with the command station. Once I have that basically running I'll start the actual app itself. So I went through an RxSwift book I bought a while ago (after updating it online as they promise free updates for life). I had gone through a certain percentage of it in the past but re-started it to firm up the foundational stuff and am trying to get a good ways through this week as one of my personal goals at work for the quarter was to do a certain amount of the book. Also to add in an RxCocoa introduction (as part of a work goal).

The book contains a few chapters on RxCocoa. I did not skip ahead but they had a couple pages introduction at the beginning when they reviewed the goals for the book, and so I took those examples and converted some of the UI bits in my test harness throttle app to us RxCocoa to feed in throttle changes and travel direction changes. It worked ! So I used the ET425 train to test both the throttle and travel direction conversion to RxCocoa and then drove it around a while to test and then let it just travel while I continued my reading and learning.

The ET 425 (Aka BR 425 Class) is a German electrical multiple unit by Bombadier, Siemens, and DWA used for short and medium length trips with frequent stops. Your typical commuter train. This KATO train I have is the only German commuter type train I have. I have a ton of equivalent commuter rail EMU/DMU from Japan but this one is an orphan on the Euro side. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBAG_Class_425

In the pic I placed a few vehicles -- almost all my N-scale vehicles are Japanese so excuse the actual vehicles. At least I moved them to the correct side of the road for Germany!

IMG_3933.jpeg

Morning y'all - definitely a donuts day after the great computer fiasco of yesterday.

Fortunately, the Amish bakery has these exquisite yeast donuts with caramel flavour, then coated liberally with cinnamon-sugar mix. Since the place isn't open on Sundays, I picked up a box of the same in "donut hole" size. Mind, now. The locals refer to these little gems as "Crack Donuts." My spousal unit cannot eat an entire donut of this variety in one sitting.

i-MZ9VMSB-L.jpg

Flo said I could share, but she's tired of all of Mel's jokes. You'll have to tell a funny (and clean) joke if you want a donut hole!

As for the computer, my little MacBook is about 5 years old, and on my Need-to-replace list. BUT I was going to wait until Jan, so I could put it against next year's taxes. This year is close to a break-even for the writing biz, so I don't need the expense of a new Mac. But things were looking glum yesterday. The issue was a security update for Mojave. I waited three days, which is usually enough for the early adopters to find the bugs. Not this time. Two failed Disk First Aids (3 hours each), Two failed time-machine backups (need a new drive for TM, I suspect), and finally had to re-install Mojave. Which worked like a charm! Kept most of my files, and was able to install the backup of my novel without loss of data.

That also meant I spent a lot of time reading Jim's Pinnacle layout mega-thread on the iPad. I'm up to the point where he tears it out and begins anew in 2013 (close to page 100-ish out of 248ish).

Never fear, I did get work done on the Still Untitled layout. Foam risers are becoming affixed. In some places, that means that I have to add a second layer of 1-inch base to the benchtop. Here's a shot of my consist of diet sodas and liquid soap bottles weighing the inclines down.

i-J99VcNX-L.jpg

For the record, soap jugs like those work well as weights on the thinner sections of inclines, when using the WS Foam Nails (long pins) to anchor the foam. The spacing I used between the foam nails was just about soap jug width. Photo below begins with regular push pins for the incline starting very thin section, but gets the metal T-pins (Foam nails) right after that first soap jug.

Yes, I was low on TP back in March and April, so I grabbed jugs of soap each trip to the grocery, just in case I needed to barter with the neighbors. ;)
i-VgJ7WV5-L.jpg

I've got a lot of catching up to do with the novel, but I'll try to add a post the the Still Untitled layout thread later today.

Greetings All...from Southern Oregon! As my bid for a donut hole, I'm submitting this one....why did the chicken cross the road? To lay it on the line!
Flo...a cup of deer camp coffee please!

Greg...here is hoping a speedy recovery for your wife! Stay well!
I thought that only Louis posted about Christmas while we're still in September!
Yeah, we’re already getting people placing orders for Christmas gifts.
Willie...some business mentioned Christmas in an add on tv the other day, I can not tell you for what reason, but when I made that post, the time line for Christmas just popped into the gray matter. And technically it's not a "post" per say, just a fleeting mention of xmas? Right? 🤪🤪🥴
Dave...Nice museum pics. I like the "General" tank car. I'm always looking for a different car to add to the fleet. Army (military) I assume? Any info on it?
Alan... I'm not big on steam, but, that is a NICE fleet!
Troy...fun watching you progress on layout. Can I have my donut hole now?🤤

I thought I'd leave you with this, I was looking at the Walthers PROTOTYPE LETTERING DIAGRAMS Book II (1958)
Blow up the pic, make a copy, take it in to the "library," study it while you slurping a cup of wake up!
IMG_20200927_040034601.jpg

Everybody stay safe...enjoy your day!

Good Morning All. 72° and cloudy. High today is forecast to be 90° after 87° yesterday, then a "blue norther" hits around midnight and the high tomorrow may reach 75°. May not be much of a cold front to some, but it is for this time of year here. Roller coaster weather for the next ten days.
I did get an hour or so mowing under the belt before lunch, as the dew dried yesterday morning very quickly. Then it was some household chores for a while.
Had a great visit yesterday by my daughter, her husband and our granddaughter, culminating in another trip to town to eat at our favorite Italian restaurant. Of course that cut into train time, but it was a very enjoyable visit. Hadn't seen granddaughter since she spent a few days with us in early August. Third time in a week that my wife left the house for dining out, so her recovery seems to be going really well. We don't really dine out that much even in pre-pandemic times.

A couple of over easy eggs and a handful of bacon this morning Flo. Big glass of OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the layout progress; Lee, Garry, Alan, Guy, Karl, Jerome, Troy, Sherrel, Phil, Tom, Chad, Curt, Justin, Mike, Jerry.

I made minor progress in ballasting yesterday in the train shed. Not worthy of a picture yet.
Over on the workbench, I got the four walls assembled on the DPM kit. Wasn't too hard after filing off the beveled edges that are a part of most DPM kits.
09-24-20 007.JPG

09-24-20 008.JPG

Afterwards, it went into the paint shop where it is still drying this morning.
As I was exiting the train shed, I came across the following critter that I had not seen before.
09-27-20 003.JPG

That's a 2"x2" that she's climbing. I don't recognize the species; I believe that that's an egg sac on her underside. Either that or it's extremely fat! Common Texas Brown Tarantula's do not carry their eggs around, and it's the wrong time of year for them to be reproducing. Females rarely leave their burrows either. While I have much larger spiders in residence elsewhere on the estate, this one is quite large.

Joe - I like yesterdays pictures.
Alan - I like your analogy of "Model Railroading is an art form". That is how I view it, but never thought to put it into those words.

I haven't paid attention to sports for quite a number of years now. Much to my surprise, I went into the living room last night and my wife was watching the hometown favorite Dallas Stars playing in the NHL Stanley Cup Finals. I didn't even know that they were in the playoffs! So I watched about five minutes at the end of the tied third period before heading for bed. I may actually have to watch the next game.

Today is National Crush a Can Day, meant to increase awareness of aluminum can recycling. I don't really need the money that I get for recycling, but I do pick up all of the ones that I find on the side of our rural road when I am out walking. Today, like most Sundays, are somewhat lucrative. Keystone Light seems to be the most favored beverage of the litterers here. Those added to our own usage nets me about $30 every three months to go into the modeling budget.
Everybody have a great day and observe safe distancing.

WELL DOGGIES! Here it is another day with looking at sunny,breezy, and hot! Supposed to be another 90 degree day up from 88 yesterday.
Finally, I am back - Had a decent night's sleep and somewhat alert this morning. My usual 6 hours (plus or minus) of sleep - the difference being how many times I have to stumble towards the bathroom in the dark finding all the furniture with my little toe - at least my innards seem to be returning to normal - was beginning to concern me.

TOOT - That was an interesting train ... Did they leave any trees standing? That is a lot of lumber!

JERRY - I love looking at things such as that profile of the diesels. Too bad they left the "Sharks" off?
I was curious about that tank car that Dave pictured too!

Willie - You seem to be dining out a lot here recently? Are you sure you needed a new freezer?
I like that building you are working on. What's it going to be?

GREG - Prayers again ... that your Cathy will be negative and that you are clean too!

TROY - Computers are like children -- they can be both a blessing and a curse! Can I have a morsel this morning?

FLO - I have my "hungries" back this morning - a cheese omelet with whole wheat toast - light on the bacon - I don't want to over do it starting out this morning. OJ to drink, please?
stonehinge.jpg

Jerry, Sherrel

Here's a couple links. one is for the tank car (which at one time was in your back yard Jerry) and the other for the museum.

Murphy has a cousin, and his name is Moore. (Patrick and Terry probably know the guy...) They way he bullies people is by forcing them to stop using their proven, reliable computers much earlier than would otherwise be necessary.

It all started on Friday, Sept 11, shortly before my wife and I left for the Ocean. A message popped up in the center of my screen warning me to update NOW, because my version of Windows 10 was "nearing the end of its service life." So I went ahead and let the update+reboot process occur, then logged back on and powered down the machine for the weekend. The following Tuesday, the same message appeared - so I contacted the Geek Squad and they remoted-in and said my version of Windows was 1903, it should be something newer (can't remember the number). The prompt appeared again, and I let it run; went to check the Windows version#, still 1903! So I called the Geek Squad a second time, and had them remote in and do the update manually from their end while I worked on my employer's laptop. At the end of my workday ~8 hours later, there was a different Geekster doing the work since the first one's shift had ended. He said they had spent the entire day trying to install the Windows 10 update, but it would keep erroring-out and they didn't want to risk corrupting my operating system. So I asked him what would be a probable reason for this malfunction? "Your computer is over five years old," he replied, "so the hardware may not be meeting the minimum requirements."

Translation: I'll need to buy a new computer, if I want to keep doing stuff online and have the latest operating system security patches. Curse you, O Baron of Redmond! 🤬

Your problem isnt Moore , its Microsoft and to some extent the Internet. Microsoft pushes its updates out on Friday afternoons, Its one the reasons I quit using Windows about 8 years back , I used my machines on the weekend and Microsoft would screw up the OS and I would have to runaround patching everything else.

I think the youngest machine I have is about 7-8 years old.

Windows is targeted at people that need or want to use a computer , but don't know or want to know how to maintain one.

Bottom line is those that maintain their own machine can use Linux or what ever they want everybody else has do what Microsoft tells them and they get to pay through the nose for the priveledge. That's the way it works. The best part is that Microsoft for the most part just rearranges the desktop on major revisions (which is usually a seperate piece of software) The underlying OS changes very little. Thats why they were able to give Win 10 away to Win 7 users , They weren't really giving them anything . And its been that going back at least to Win NT .

The secret to making money is to get people to pay for what they already have and then pretend to give them something in return for their dollars .

Me ...I haven't paid for OS in 7 years.
AMD 6 core ,twin video cards , two Delta 44 sound cards , 3 displays , 2 hard drives and a Samsung Flash drive...OS Debian 9. The memory is only 2 GB but the OS is only using 400 - 600 Mb because I am using LDXE . Bootstrap in less than 10secs.

I have 10 year + old Netbook also using Debian 9 with a Patriot Flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back