Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a blow-up of that device. It's not a fire extinguisher, and I don't believe it's a remote either. It Looks like some kind of portable pressure meter, to me
That mystery device is a telemetry marker or FRED, as it's known in rail fan circles. Mounts on the rear car's coupler, provides end of train protection, and transmits data such as trainline air pressure, and motion. Also permits the engineer to initiate an emergency brake application from the rear end.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday (or the weekend if you get a weekend).

This morning I learned that I CAN get a new toilet in the Toyota Camry. BUT I had to take it out of the box. Tank in the front, bowl in the back seat.

So far, I've added a flange adapter to get it just above the floor level, and caulked the holy heck out of it. Wife decided I should paint the bathroom too, since we can get behind the toilet without painting the tank as well. So, I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Toilet install probably on Monday, just to make sure the overly thick caulk has time to cure.

View attachment 117239
OK --TROY -- Here is your "Toss-up" question!
Did you remember to get a new wax seal?

Bonus Question: With the raised flange adapter - is the bowl going to rest on the floor, or rock on the flange adapter?

Ok Midday check in

TomO. I forgot to mention your trees this morning they look great.

Terry. Shifting a two stick is not fun as some post on YouTube put a big load behind you and it’s a different game then bobtailing around town showing off. I’ve rode with my dad for years watching him shift those two sticks and when the linkage gets wore they hang up and you pull off the side of the road and crawl underneath there and even them back up so I’d much rather be like you and drive a splitter. Now I drive a automatic I guess that’s what the kids are driving these days.

Troy. Talk about a double whammy your Sister-in-Law visiting while you’re trying to fix the toilet never could get along with both.

Thanks for all the likes and complements yesterday. This morning my youngest Daughter set me up a new YouTube account and showed me how to upload my videos here so now you can see my O scale layout in action. Here’s one I made the other day. I’ll check in later

LEE - Thanks for the truck info! One of my summer breaks from school, I decided that I was going to be a truck driver and my dad lined me up with the guy who regular drove the truck pictured making JP-4 deliveries from the refinery to Barksdale AFB about 80 miles one way. BERRY only had ONE of this model and WADE nicknamed it 'Ole Snort'! It was not a diesel, had 10 speed traney, and only had one axle of the tandem powered - the other axle had a belt drive; the point I am working up too is the fact that it would run like a rabbit with it's tail on fire - it just wanted to go! When we would get on a straightaway, he would tell me, "Just open her up - let her run".
I also made several trips within about a 5 state area hauling roofing and road asphalt in 4 additional tankers which were pulled by a cab-overs. I felt more comfortable driving the cab-overs because I kept thinking I was going to hit something with that long nose in front (LOL). A H/S buddy and I went to Dallas to try and "buddy drive" with FFE, but he was not quite 18 so we gave up on that idea - he joined the Navy and I went back to school for another year.

Afternoon All,

Well this morning was frustrating that I made such a rookie mistake. I started out hooking up the track feeders from yesterday and could not get the layout to power up. I looked at everything, changed throttles, broke out the instruction manuals but nothing made a difference. I verified the wires were soldered to the correct buss wires and that was OK. I was standing there more than a little peeved and decided to disconnect (cut) the feeder wires at the main buss and immediately had power. Then I realized the issue... when I stand in front of the mainline the red feeder wire is closest to me, but when you follow the rail around to the back the red feeder wire needs to be on the back rail :mad: :mad: :mad:. Of course it took me more than an hour to figure out what was wrong. I had soldered the feeders on before I installed the track. After that I tested the 2-8-8-2 without issue. The back curve I showed yesterday has a 30" radius.

After lunch I started putting in the cardboard lattice work which I will finish tomorrow. Only got 2 blisters from the hot glue today:(. I also realized today that I will have to climb onto the layout to do the plastering behind the curve. I'm glad it's sturdy.

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Troy- Glad the leak was just the toilet and not pipes. Years ago we had a half sister of the wife's and her teenage son living with us. The boy overflowed the upstairs toilet and just walked away without shutting off the water (or saying anything). We discovered it when water started coming out of the kitchen fan/light. The Mother said he's too young to know about the shut off valve! Needless to say I was done with long term house guests at that point.

Lee- Thanks for the thoughts. This time around scenery and ballasting will be the last things I do except in a couple of spots like behind the curve.

Terry- You have terrible luck when it comes to package delivery.

Willie- The diner looks great put together. I love the curved counter. I would be tempted to leave the roof off or removable.

Guy- I was surprised by the beam crane photo. I built a Revell kit of that. The only difference is the kit has the cab under the beam.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Gentlemen
Just an update from the trainroom, Before I build the big brick building which is the main structure for Union Sugar Co, I did some testing on some junk buildings using a technique I read in MR. I think it will do just fine. There are fires everywhere up here (all started by spontaneous combustion from climate change), smoke so thick you can taste it. Not sure if folks are wearing masks for smoke or Covid.
Lee, as I remember it, those early 13 speeds made more noise in 6th over than the 318 did!!
Sherrel, You sounded a lot taller on the phone than you do when you post............Again, I enjoyed the chat.
All I'm still in awe of everyones work and layouts. It's going to be awhile before I get to a point where I can really call myself a modeler. I'm going to blame my inability to plan on my career choice.
IMG_0235.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg

OK --TROY -- Here is your "Toss-up" question!
Did you remember to get a new wax seal?

Bonus Question: With the raised flange adapter - is the bowl going to rest on the floor, or rock on the flange adapter?
Good questions. Yes, got the thick wax ring. Forgot the shims.

Half the how-to sites tell me the best way is flush mount to the floor (tried that, but the floor to flange is not level) the other half say raised - but no more than1/4 inch is the preferred install method.

(all started by spontaneous combustion from climate change), smoke so thick you can taste it.
More likely lightning strikes. Our CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation) Did a series of sattelite video recordings of the fires we had last spring and summer (which have already begun again this year) and showed some in a TV program to prove/disprove that that was the main cause, or not of them. They actually captured one (yes one out of the thousands) right at the known point of ignition observed time. Quite fascinating. You actually saw the bolt hit the ground.

Well it been a good day I didn’t do much but go to the feed store and that’s it.

Dave. A good start on the building I think your a good enough to be called a Modeler.

Troy. Hope the plumbing goes well and you had a nice visit with your Sister-in-Law

Willie. Your progress on the Dinner looks great

Curt. Hope to see more progress pics of the layout.

This is a old Lionel Post War F I restored a couple years ago. I tore it down and gave it a good cleaning and tune up. I fixed the front pilot so it wouldn’t move and repainted/decaled it in NYC Cigar scheme here some pics and a video of it.

Thanks for all the likes and complements today I really enjoyed it. Good night and be safe.
58F02D9A-05C0-4225-BDA0-1864D48585AD.jpeg
5250EEF4-3856-4297-9EBA-53142DDFB42A.jpeg
DC802B96-9571-4820-8C45-976C20AEFBED.jpeg
30A41493-9F85-470A-8C01-85AC9A0913E4.jpeg
B2D040D3-790D-4075-92F3-E19A6DE54227.jpeg

Morning Everone:

Coffee and French Toast with a plate of bacon today, Flo.

today opens 63° in NE Indiana, with highs in the upper 70s. Chances are good for painting one bathroom and installing a shower curtain rod and new curtain in the other bath.

Survived the in-law visit. Sis-in-law was suitably impressed that I already had the gravel pit building, and a bottle of orange paint. You see, it was my father-in-law who worked in road construction. His employer had an HQ right across from the gravel pit, which was owned by the employer's brother in law. That orange gravel pit building was the landmark they gave everyone.

When you see the big orange building, turn right, then take the left fork at the Y. First house on the right after the curve.

Unfortunately, the gravel pit is now sans the big orange building, but I've learned where to turn to get to the mother-in-law's house.

i-Rkpw8k6-L.jpg

Good morning every one from the smoked filled left coast....thick enough I can smell it in the garage. And that's enough of that!
I thought we'd go back in time to 1950, and what Lionel trains had to offer....... an original ad from railroad magazine.
IMG_20200913_043442129.jpg

Every body stay safe out there.....

Painted the 2-10-4 yesterday. Here it is fresh out of the oven. Some touchup and a second coat will be needed on a few of the pieces. There's also an SP tender hiding in there that I had to repair and figured I might as well paint while it's apart. I've taken to buying separate tenders and swapping them out just like the real railroads did. It gives you some unique looking models.

Today I'll clean up the parts, remove paint from conducting surfaces and get it ready to go back together. I also have to fabricate a motor mount. it's getting a can motor. One more open frame motor for the junk box!

2-10-4 after baking.JPG

Good Morning - It is 59 going up to 93 today (was 94 yesterday) with mostly sunny, I think? The Sun was a BIG Orange Ball late yesterday with all the smoke in the air. Fortunately the smoke was at a higher altitude as we did not smell it.
The wife and I ALMOST finished this latest yard project, but I have to borrow the neighbors Green barrel to cram in the last remnants of the hedge that we took down - both my Green and Brown barrels are full.
Not really anything else planned - at this moment, but SWMBO will come up with something I am sure.

FLO - TWO cups of coffee, please and some Advil!

Good Morning!
It was 45F in the rain at 6:30am. Around here, there is no smoke in the air, as the cold front is creating a blocking pattern. I'm hearing Calgary down south has smoke, though. I have siblings that live there.
I'm finding myself getting confused as I watch news of the fires burning in the west. Seems like there is a mumbo-jumbo of fires everywhere, from British Columbia on down the entire west coast. Then there is fires in South America as well. - I'm hearing alot about looters and gun play. Not sure how much of it is true; mainline news has a tendency to embellish the truth. I do know people are suffering deeply, though; losing everything. Hope they can all come out of it; and I do pray all of you in the middle of it are safe. I find myself worrying about Sherrel and family.

It's raining outside and the wife is at work, so I plan on a full inside day of modeling. I mean to get a good start on the scratch build of a CN 3rd class depot. It won't be used for passenger service, but in 1964 there was such a building in my town, used for freight storage and a bunkhouse.

Lee - Those caves are beautiful; Neanderthals the world over are in admiration. - I liked you're video, also.
Terry and Boris - Thanks for answering the question of the unidentified unit hanging on the SD40. Now we know; a 'FRED' end-of-train device.
Dave - I do like the weathering on the brick test building. Well done!
Willie - The diner certainly looks typical of a 'burger joint' type, fast food restaurant. Frankly, I'm not big on the 'candy-cane' look; it's a bit comical Christmas looking. If you hope to paint those red stripes straight, you might try wrapping a strip of masking tape down the barrel of the post.

Look at me; I'm getting carried away, again. I'd better go! I'll leave a couple of photos referencing to the sawmill industry, though. This is a chip hopper similar to the one offered in a Cornerstone kit. A 'B'-train tractor trailer pulls up underneath it to load the chips, then transports them to an MDF mill local to us.
ChipBin_08-26-2020.jpg

ChipBin_09-09-2020.jpg

It's real hard to get a full image while I'm standing outside the security fence. Sorry bout that!

Have a good one!

GUY - So far the fires have not raided this part of the State - a couple of small skirmishes that have been attacked feverishly.

I talked to Truckdad (Dave) yesterday as I was concerned about where he is? He told me that there was a fire about 5-6 miles away that they were keeping an eye on in case the winds were to shift.
The other that may be in somewhat need of watching is 2Tracks (Jerry) - I am not sure just exactly where he lives?

At one point in my life, I lived in Shawnee - next door to Lenexa! A little goodie from the "king of Frisco history, Karl Brand".

Frisco 228, 4-4-0, Rhode Island Locomotive Works later (ALCO) class of 1903 and a southbound passenger train (perhaps number 101, the KC-Joplin train) arrives at Lenexa, KS ( the first Lenexa depot). This depot was destroyed by fire during the evening of November 27, 1908. The negative does not have a date, but since the Frisco replaced the Memphis Road depot in the photo with a new Frisco Standard Plan depot in 1909, we can date the photo between 1903 and 1908. The Frisco retired the 228 during September 1934. Negative my collection:
1600005955891.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back