Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debit card is used at the very few merchants that don't accept regular credit cards.

I personally never use a debit card at a store. If the store won't take a credit card, I go elsewhere. WinCo is one of those places...

The reason is, if a debit card is compromised, it is MY money they are stealing. Even if the bank eventually makes it good, they (the fraudsters) have stolen my money, caused my account to drain, and may cause other payments I am making from the account to bounce, etc. If my credit card is abused, and fraudsters start using it, it is the BANK's money that is being abused. They'll fix it super quick because of that and also, it won't cause any knock-on collateral effects to me (besides having to update all my auto-pays etc with the new number -- like today, I have to go to the local storage facility where we are storing fixtures for the house until we need them, to update my card, which was recently replaced due to fraud and failed the auto-payment yesterday).

The only reason I actually have a debit card is so I can get cash out of the ATM in Japan when we go there (or other foreign country that has ATMs that are on the cash networks).

I rarely write a rteal paper check any more. I was using a check to pay my kids' swim team monthly practice fee, but they changed teams and the new one just auto charges my card (with no service fee).

Good Morning!
Seems like it's not all that bad a day hitting 38f; although, it is a wet one. I went out to walk the dog for a couple of hours, and I still don't have to put on the winter gear.

Garry - Glad to hear you are doing better. God's speed in recovery.
Willie - I was happy to read the wife is well enough to resume enjoyment of wine. That's a very good sign.
Karl - I've really enjoyed the layout photo's you've posted lately. I hope we see lots more of that.

We need a 'cry like a little girl' icon to go with the like and sad icons. I could have used it when I saw the photos of Chet's layout room.

Had lots to say, but, I can't remember anymore. That's a sign for me, I suppose.

I had to look around to find a few photos to post today. Found these, that I haven't posted yet.
This taken off highway 43 when I stopped for a break. these engines are heading to my home town:
EdmTrip_09-14-2021.jpg

Here's the last Jasper photo that I took. There were a few engines idling in the Jasper yard unable to carry-on, due to rail work being done towards Hinton. Jasper is located on the mainline east to west.
CN 2974_Jasper_10-18-2021.jpg

I cannot explain why that curb would have be put beside the forward track.

Finally, here's another beaver photo that I took yesterday; one of twenty. Caught this beaver out of the water. It was surprised, but, not surprised enough to drop the stick while it retreated back into waters safety:
CanadianBeaver_(3).jpg

I've been trying to get photos of a bear eating all the halloween pumkins, but, it's a smart bear. Only comes out at night. I don't know if it's a black or a grizzly.

Time to get on with it, so have a great day.

Morning (late) again! 55F degrees and going to be one of those C&C days under mostly sunny and 72F for a high. The guessers say rain is called for tomorrow - we will see!
I should have checked the forum before trying to contact GARRY! I tried his cell # and also his home # (that I did not realize I had in my contact list). No answer at neither number - then I read his post on here ... So glad to hear from you, GARRY. All were concerned!
then I happened to realize that if he is in intensive care that his phone is maybe off?

JERRY - sorry about the problems - I had to write a check a while back and after having to find my checkbook I had to remember how to write a check. I have grown too accompanied to the computer for all my banking and bill payments.

Christian - Beautiful photo of the kids! The other scenery looks great too!

Willie -- Your building is looking good along with the details.
Sure hope that Arlene has lots of patience; still a long time before surgery!
I looked at a Corned Beef the other day - it was $4.75 a pound - I love them, but I passed!

TomO - I had no idea that John Wayne A/P was dirty! How things are changing - I have not been on a plane in several years, but the last time I was through the Phoenix Hub - it was very nice 12 years ago!
While you are in town, you should ride down to San Diego and back on the coast route. I think it you can do it on the more cheap fares by changing trains in Oceanside. Ride down, have lunch next to the 'MIDWAY', and afternoon train back up!

Better git moving! Daylight is burning and I dislike the shorter days!
Sherrel, San Diego is hopefully a trip on the way home in December. No time this week in Pasadena getting my sister organized. I want to see the trains at Balboa Park. I will note about Oceanside.

I am not sure how much rain I brought from the Midwest but it is more then they have had combined in 4 months. All the folks at the coffee shop were ecstatic over the rain.

TomO

My wife had her debit card and debit card stolen at work earlier this year. The idiot thief very quickly ran up $1200 about half on each. The Credit Union, thru whom I have my debit card stopped payment, then called me.The Credit card company stopped payment. Both cards had their numbers stopped. Total cost to me from both cards was $0.00

Mike

Good Afternoon all! Another nice day, a little on the warm side. We picked up an inch of rain last night.

The Conductress just informed me that she ordered Bar Mills Jefferies Point for me. I've been eyeing that structure for some time now.

Flo, fix a plate of nachos to go. I can snack on them while watching JJ tear up the Texans.

GO ASTROS.

Willie - Ramones is really looking good
Garry - Go to see you are improving. Home is definitely the best place to recover.
Christian - Some beautiful scenery. Wouldn't it be great to just wander the world seeing all the magnificent places around the globe. Maybe Bezos could slip us a couple of million, just a thought.

STAY SAFE
LATER
Mr Bezo will not help out. He seems to be the least of the billionaires

TomO

Good Afternoon Everyone in Model Railroad Land.....a typical cool, overcast Fall day here in this part of Wisconsin. My plans to work in the layout room aren't going to happen because I'm puppy sitting for Riley wheel Cathy does some shopping.

Saturday, I did get to spend some time working in the layout room. I filled one of my A-Line storage boxes and organized my supply cart. I spent a long time looking of my box of graphite sticks to treat the rails as I clean them. I never did find the graphite sticks so I ordered another box, not a large expense, but a wait for them to arrive.

Garry: So happy to see a post from you and better news about your planned hospital release. Hope for a speedy recovery at home.

Planning a luncheon for the members of our informal model railroad group with the original members being around in the club for perhaps now twenty years or more!!! A great group of modelers and we have enjoyable meetings at each other's homes during the winter season. This is the second luncheon that is being held. The site of the lunch is almost next to the CP Rail formerly the Milwaukee Road mainline. The trains run slow through this part of the line due to the concerns of the residents of Wauwatosa and their fears of a train derailment with tankers filled with crude oil. Wauwatosa is also the site of many car/people incidents with trains with the mainline running parallel to the tracks.

I like to rail fan here since I can park close and face the rails without fear of Railroad Police hassling me. I used have lunch here to escape from the office.

Some great photos of Chet's Logan Valley model railroad in the Forum's Model RR Photo Gallery!

Sitting at my computer console looking up at the mini-camera on a shelve that I purchased to use on a flat car to do a cab ride of my railroad. Hopefully that will happen this winter when I also do a couple more U Tube videos of the CM&N Railroad.

That's about all for day........................

Bye.

Greg

##################

Afternoon All,

Spent 3.5 hours getting Dad's toe nails cut. Of course he wrote down the wrong time for the appointment. What a waste of time. The only VA facility that will trim them is a hour drive away. (he only wants it done there and he's not safe to drive himself on a highway). Tomorrow will be another wasted day at daughter's school. We'll be labeling and straightening up a supply closet. If I sound frustrated it's because I am today. At least the house was cleaned today so all that's left is dropping off keys on Thursday.

Jaz- Nice action scenes.

Guy- Nice CN photos along with the large rodent.

Chet- Really sorry to see the empty room.

Garry- Hope you're home today.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon RR folks!
So, my neighbor and I are taking our trash bins out Sunday afternoon and he points to the CRV and says to me that I don't have the correct colored sticker on my license plate. I said - Sure I do - and he said that: "It's supposed to be green for this year and yours is red".
OK, he is correct; I go into the house and start searching for the notice and after locating it and today I went to the Auto Club (AAA) and told the nice lady that I paid the registration but I have not received the new sticker - so she pushes a few buttons on her computer and then tells me that I need to go and have a smog check done on the car and then the State would send me the sticker. Now, you would think that the State would have questioned where the smog check was since the tag was due in April? I guess they wanted to wait until I received a ticket for not having my tag!

While I was on that side of town, I decided to pop into Costco and gas up my truck; the cost per gallon was showing $4.09. So I am standing there as the dials on the pump pass 5 gallons and a cost of $20.45. I thought to myself that Dad would tell the attendant to put 5 gallons in the car and the cost was $1.25 ... then I started to think that at that time my Dad was making $500 a month after receiving a $20.00 a week pay increase ... then mentally I thought -- I think he was better off then than I am now; I just paid 13.08 times what he paid back then - that would have been the same as him having a paycheck of $6,544 a month.
I believe that this is a pretty good example of what inflation does to our currency?
My mind goes in strange directions at times!

Patiently waiting for the weather folks' atmospheric bomb to go off. They been talking it up for 24 hours already. We are experiencing VERY, VERY light rain at this time. Radar looks as if most of the "bomb" will pass North of us.

P/S/ Crude Oil was $2.30 a barrel back then. Now $84.00 That's 36.5 times higher!

Last edited:
MIKE -- I understand the Credit Card, but wouldn't you have a pin # on the Debit Card?

Most Debit cards are also labeled Visa or MasterCard and can be used like a credit card (in terms of processing). That is swipe/chip and sign. The store pays the same fees as a credit card in this case and not the lower debit fees, which they only get if you use your PIN. And you shouldn't be able to get cash back without a PIN. But purchases are no problem.

Yes, you should end up $0 out of pocket in either case if they get stolen, but if it is a debit, it is your money that is gone until the bank fixes it, which can cause problems. This sort of fraud is not always caught immediately and so the card thief could spend a few hundred out of YOUR account and then your rent check tries to clear the same day, and you no longer have the cash in the account. Sure the bank/CU will most likely make it good, but it is a much bigger hassle then just letting the thief steal the banks money and letting the bank pick up the pieces... (In either case you have a duty to report it to the bank/CU as soon as you notice the fraudulent uses -- I once beat a fraud charge where I was the merchant and someone used a stolen account to buy stuff from me -- the real account owner charged it back -- the bank sent me a few months of the guys account statements as well as his complaint letter, which listed a list of bad charges including mine, and I noticed that the initial fraud was like a month or two before it was done with me and I argued the guy had not reported it on time since he had gotten at least one statement, if not two, that showed fraudulent charges on them and didn't report it -- the bank gave me the money back! ).

Good afternoon global Modellers from the wonderfully wet and cool temperatures of Pasadena, California. I brought the temperatures from home in Wisconsin and the Pasadena residents are not thrilled with the temps. It has not hit 70f degrees since we got here Saturday. They definitely needed the rain though.

We ventured over to the Orginal Whistle Stop about 2miles from my sister’s condo. It is an old time high service train store and has a super amount of detail parts and books, both old and new. It was a great visit. I purchased some books for the next trip even further west from where we are. I am reading the forum but not responding like I normally do but glad to see most of the global Modellers are getting better.

TomO
96BD37E7-A849-4E69-938E-CFE4C7A21875.jpeg

Greetings, Shop Dwellers!

It's raining buckets over my region at the moment, and we had lightning & thunder earlier. Looks like it'll continue thru midnight, and be cooler and windier on Tuesday. For that reason I didn't do any running of trains this evening; I always make sure the power strip that feeds my layout and accessories is fully disconnected from the Grid, after reading about what happened to a former 'regular' here in the Shop [rexhea] where he sustained damage to his layout electronics and home theater due to a massive power spike that was caused by a nearby lightning strike.

I did, however, get a few useful things done that don't require my command station to be turned on. First, I re-mounted a ground throw that was failing to close the turnout's diverging point rail fully against the stock rail and leading to derailments. Then I repainted some of my pre-molded slag loads and sprinkled on orange 'glitter', since that reflects light at its full brightness and looks more like hot slag than Day-Glo orange paint does.

. . .
So, my neighbor and I are taking our trash bins out Sunday afternoon and he points to the CRV and says to me that I don't have the correct colored sticker on my license plate. I said - Sure I do - and he said that: "It's supposed to be green for this year and yours is red".
OK, he is correct; I go into the house and start searching for the notice and after locating it and today I went to the Auto Club (AAA) and told the nice lady that I paid the registration but I have not received the new sticker - so she pushes a few buttons on her computer and then tells me that I need to go and have a smog check done on the car and then the State would send me the sticker. Now, you would think that the State would have questioned where the smog check was since the tag was due in April? I guess they wanted to wait until I received a ticket for not having my tag!
. . .

Sherrell, I feel your pain - we have the same thing here in the "Free State" every two years; haven't had any problems yet with our current vehicles, but I do remember one year where I kept bringing a failing car to my mechanic and he would try the cheapest remedy first, then if that failed, go to the next one up, etc., where the "last resort" is to replace the catalytic converter (~$800). Seems like all the cheaper solutions added up to less than the $500 minimum threshold expense to get a waiver. Luckily it passed after we'd shelled out ~$350, I was ready to junk the car before putting a new catalytic converter on it.

Getting late, gotta continue making up my sleep deficit...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good evening Everybody!

My longer than usual nap has me awake at an hour that normally I would be sound asleep.

Curt, God willing the Christmas GP38 will be running under one of my Christmas trees!

Ken, I bought it because it was a GP38. That is one of my favorite locomotives. I had resisted the temptation to preorder it months ago, but seeing it again was too much for me. Targeted advertising works!

I really don't need another Christmas locomotive... 😁

Boris, I did exactly as you said. No more being angry over things beyond my control. I went as far as to do my best to ignore those very things as best I can. I have been very happy with those choices.

Life is good, thank God!

Have a great night Everybody!

OK, Fellow modelers! Seems the "river" of rain has passed us by with sorts like a 3rd of an inch of moisture. Watching the evening news on the Telly made me jealous of not getting more - 50 miles north of us got 1.5-2 inches and still raining.

Thanks to Mike and Chad who filled me in on the debit cards - I will have to remember the rules.

Sitting here watching the Spousal Unit enjoying the first fire of the season. It is only down to 54F, but after spending the last 5 days "care giving" for her Mom - she said it would be nice to have a fire. I'm going to have to round up some firewood as I am just about out. For all the time that we have lived here in this house - this is the first time that I will have to buy some. Been fortunate enough to find cutoffs from tree trimmers in the past.

Kate04-first fire.jpg

Like many other people, I got caught up in "life" and had little time for modeling.
I did clean up my work space in the dining room and took things back downstairs to put them away.
I have been able to take a few minutes here and there to paint the panel truck for my layout in the lake house.
Just goes to show you that even a few minutes at a time can get results.

BTW, how do you like my vintage post cards as photo backgrounds?

Attachments

• 10.25.21 41 panel.jpg
    10.25.21 41 panel.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back