Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon all! Another nice day, a little on the warm side. We picked up an inch of rain last night.

The Conductress just informed me that she ordered Bar Mills Jefferies Point for me. I've been eyeing that structure for some time now.

Flo, fix a plate of nachos to go. I can snack on them while watching JJ tear up the Texans.

GO ASTROS.

Willie - Ramones is really looking good
Garry - Go to see you are improving. Home is definitely the best place to recover.
Christian - Some beautiful scenery. Wouldn't it be great to just wander the world seeing all the magnificent places around the globe. Maybe Bezos could slip us a couple of million, just a thought.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good afternoon. Getting ready to watch the NASCAR race at Kansas City but figured I would check in quickly.

Garry - I didn't catch that you were under the weather but glad you'll be heading home.

Willie - Nice work getting the advertising on the brick surfaces.

Joe - Always enjoy your proto photos.

The Logan Valley is in the dumpster unfortunately. I will miss it but I do have other things to keep me occupied.
thumbnail_20211022_142139.jpg
thumbnail_20211022_142202.jpg
thumbnail_20211023_150614.jpg

The race has started. Think I will grab my last micro brew and sit and enjoy the race.

The girls and I will be heading north again to do some more house hunting.

Later

Afternoon All,

Went out to Dad's this morning and finished cleaning out the garage with the help of the wife and daughter's family. The house is completely empty! IT IS DONE. :D :D :D :D :D :D. Afterwards we all went to lunch. After getting home I did a couple of inside chores then spent about 90 minutes mounting the 3 light boards including running wires. I still have to connect them (solder wires) and mount exterior lighting and connect the wiring. Tomorrow most of the day will be be at the VA for Dad. Maybe I'll get into the train room. Tuesday will be spent at daughter's school (joy) :(.

Louis- Is it for Christmas?;)

Christian- Beautiful scenery and pooches. I was lucky to see a good bit of Europe back in the early 1970's while Dad was stationed in the then FRG.

Guy- Nice photos.

Karl- Very nice layout shots.

Steve- You can do manual throws either at the T/O or from the fascia as a alternative.

Willie- You're making good progress.

Jerry- Sounds like our Credit Union at times and it's frustrating. That will be a nice box car.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
Hi Shop Dwellers, time for my daily update.

Garry, it's great to see you posting here again! Hopefully those "minor issues" keeping you at the hospital are bureaucratic ones and not medical.

Louis, that's an interesting-looking loco you purchased! Took me a while to realize it is a GP-38 since the exhaust stacks weren't clearly visible at first.

Started my day with the usual 10:00am Mass, followed by lunch, then over to another local mrr friend's place to run trains for his show-related Open House. In spite in my getting more sleep than usual last night, I still feel depleted of energy. As soon as I got back home, I just flopped down on the couch and didn't move for a few hours. Probably a combination of post-project letdown, and being depressed that today marks the end of my 5-day vacation; wife thinks I've been running on adrenaline the past weekend. Looks like tonight will be another early bedtime for me.

Now I'm pondering the next items for my mrr agenda: With the layout surface fully decluttered - and the cobwebs gone - I want to set up my DSLR and tripod to get some decent photos of areas that I haven't already posted on here. I also need to muddle thru setting up and learning how to use the Lokprogrammer tool that's been sitting in its box since I received it. And I probably ought to do at least one 'maintenance' run of a train every couple of days to keep the track clean. NO MORE major layout-cluttering kitbash projects - at least for the next several months (famous last words for a scratchbuild junkie like myself).

Last edited:
Good evening y'all. Surprise, surprise, the Giants won a football game...Don't expect that to happen too often.

Ken, when I first joined, my area was part of the NER - Garden State Div. Their focus was the CNJ, LV, NYS&W, PRR, NYC and PC / CR from Monmouth County North and East. I was quite busy with the real railroad business, and dropped out. When I retired back in 2008, I rejoined , and found my County was now part of the MER, New Jersey Div. I finally went to a meet, then Covid interrupted... I think I will find out what they are up to, and start showing up. There are a lot of talented members in that Division. Just need the motivation.

Garry: They do look for minor stuff to keep ya for an additional day. Rest up, and get well. Let us knw if you need a cake with an enclosed file.

Chet: That space looks mighty empty. Good luck househunting.

Watched Nashville play Minnesota this evening (Hockey). Good game from a Nashville viewpoint. Didn't realize that Minnesota was undefeated until tonight. While watching the game, I realized how physically and mentally exhausted I have become. And how deep a rut I've placed myself in, since the Covid crap, and my knee surgery. I definitely need to change my routine. I'm too consumed with anger over things beyond my control. I need to get over that.

Need to get an order in for couplers, 508 uncouplers and other assorted parts, still have quite a few sets of 33" metal wheels.

The upcoming week will be busy, so I may not be posting for a good part of the week.

Later.

Morning all,

Been catching up here and taking phone calls for issues to fix that I could do over the phone, so a little delayed in actually posting.

Weekend was kind of busier than I wanted. Friday afternoon, I ordered new tires for the wife's Equinox. I ended up with my 2nd choice as I couldn't see paying $500 more for tires of the same mileage warrantee. Those went on yesterday. I'll end up putting the same ones on the Colorado when it's time for it to get new tires. The wife has been needing a lift chair for a while, so we went to look for one during a furniture sale while her car was in the shop. We ended up with her getting a lift chair and a new sofa. So in 6-9 months I'll get a phone call telling me our sofa is in and we'll both try to remember when we bought it...lol.

After spending a ton on furniture, I kept getting a decline on my debit card when trying to pay for the tires. Turns out there's a limit of $2000 per day on the debit card...WTH???? So I ended up using the otherwise paid off credit card for the tires. It will be paid when they send the bill, so no major issues except it will cost me a stamp.

Karl: I love Red Green!! There's a non PBS channel that has it on again 3 nights a week. Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

Garry: Glad to hear there's improvement in your condition. Hope it continues.

Christian: Fantastic photos of your country. I know it's a place I'll never see otherwise.

Guy: Nice photos of the stone structures. Reminds me of some of the small towns in the U.P of Michigan.

All: Thanks for sharing your layout pictures and local scenes.

BBL

Good morning all,

Finished the hoist project yesterday. But, typical for me, got the blasted thing up and the trial run showed that the garage door would NOT clear under it. So took un-reaved the ropes and lift hooks, took down the hoist pulleys and mounts, unscrewed the joist I had installed and the joist mounting plates. TG I had the foresight to use the metal joist brackets and good SDS flanged screws. If I had nailed the joist, I'd have had to leave it in place. As it was, the 2x6 I was using was about 2 inches short for the new rafter span, but I had a 2x4 that fit. So back up go the joist brackets, then the pulleys and mounts, and reave the rope and hooks. Bingo, worked like a champ.

By this time it was just past 1630, so we celebrated by taking the hounds for a walk and stopping by the Hyvee for chips, salsa, and fritos. Got home and enjoyed one whisky on the front deck with chips and salsa, and then one more whilst watching telly downstairs. Then had chili pie for din-dins! Um, golly, that it so bad for you but like most things that are bad for you - - so durn GOOD!! Wolf Brand chili, of course, wouldn't have it any other way. That was washed down with sparkling water as we both needed/wanted a good night's sleep to start our week. Wifeykins, as CEO of an ambulatory surgery center, is now waist deep in 4th quarter. If you do not know the cycle of health care, 4th quarter is typically when most insured people have their deductibles paid and then schedule all procedures they can. Very busy, as volumes usually increase by 15 - 40%.

All was on track until the new hound decided that nighttime was a good time to play with his squeaky toys. So a little draggy this morning.

Curt I currently throw the TOs by hand. But I would like to automate at some point. oF the 11 TOs of the yard, only 7 are an easy reach from usual control station. All others are reachable, but when structures erupt on the LO, it will be even more difficult. Looking into the DCC Concepts Cobalt digital TO motors. A 12-pack available for about $330 give or take. Early research shows that they should be fairly easy as they have their own DCC decoders built-in and are still operable via pushbutton.

Well - - off to feed the dogs, give meds, clean the catbox, do the dishes, etc. I'll check back in about an hour from now or so. Do some 'puter work and then golf with the VFW at 11:00. - - - - - Steve J

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 57°, quite a bit chillier than predicted. Still headed into the 80's for a couple more days before more seasonal weather returns.
I had an extended visit/conversation with my 80 year old neighbor yesterday. He's a farmer/goat rancher who lives alone in his trailer about a quarter mile up the hill. This guy is a genuine "country bumpkin", and not in a bad way. In our conversation, he used a couple of phrases that always make me giggle inside, he referred to "moo cows" and "hoot owls" keeping him up the night before with their noise. I asked if he referred to his dog as a "woof dog" and he laughed and said that it was what his mama and grandma always called them.
New update on my wife's condition. Since she stopped taking the narcotic pain relievers on Wednesday, she poured herself a glass of wine yesterday evening. That's a good sign of mental improvement! New home care nurse this morning to do the blood draw as Staci is sick today.

Thanks for all of the many likes and comments regarding my progress on Ramone's; Louis, Karl, Guy, Christian, Jerry, Rick, Tom O, Hughie, IB Ken, Sherrel, OB Ken, Chet, Curt, Joe, Troy, Jaz, Patrick, Chad.

Morning there Flo. Have Mel make me a large order of scrambled eggs with a double order of bacon.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I gave all of the workers working on Ramone's the day off. That would be me. I sort of cleaned the workbench up a bit as it had become rather cluttered. As usual, I found bits and pieces of other projects that got mislaid so I tried to finish up a couple. Nothing major, a sign or two to apply, a figure or two to position and some random detail parts that were painted and set aside.
One item that I uncovered was a sign that I needed to add to a bookstore that I did a while back. Store has been in position for about three years, but I finally got around to making its sign last summer.
Here's Argosy Booksellers in the town of Vernon. I guess that I should have made sure that I had the sidewalk aligned with the street before I took these pictures, duh!
IMG_7982.JPG

IMG_7985.JPG

I actually did some looking at part of Ramone's, the rooftop water tank, and fabricated a pipe for it to drain into the sprinkler system. Next I will make an inlet pipe and mount the whole thing on the roof. I have decided to attach the loading docks to the structure, which will make it heavier and more unwieldy, but overall I think it will be for the better.
I do need to start to look at the building site and mark out the plywood base for parking lots and ground cover. Also what I am intending to do with the backdrop in this area.

Jerry - Finances - We only write checks for bills that we mail in. Overdraft protection from our small town bank takes care of things if needed (never yet). Having a large money market account and a savings account there makes the protection free. Almost all other purchases are made with the Amex card which we pay off every month to avoid any interest charges, it also pays a handsome cash back once a year. It's the only credit card that we have. Debit card is used at the very few merchants that don't accept regular credit cards.
Guy - Nice memory from your youth. Yes, things have changed drastically since then. It's a shame.
Christian - Now that's the kind of scenery you need on your layout!;)
Tom O - Continued safe travels for you.
Hughie - I really like the Jefferies Point kit. Unfortunately it is not available in HO.
Chet - Those are the saddest pictures that I have ever seen.
Curt - Congratulations on finally finishing up Dad's house. I know from your posts that it must be a great relief. Tell that rascal Phil to start posting again! He's been pretty regularly sending assorted E-Mails!

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back