Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang!!

Thank God it's FRIDAY!!! 😁 60° and sunny already!!!

Run session at Iron Belt Ken's went well last night, hopefully he will be able to rejoin us soon as the heat is off now, the NMRA visit is in the past now.

Flo,, I think I will have a bacon omelet, with extra bacon and bacon on the side, and a large coffee to start! Also OJ all around, give everybody one, on me. No Vodka in the OJ though, no matter how much Sherril protests!

10333449_524755384301597_3669719052209878218_o.jpg

My desktop photo at work. All this stuff is carefully packed away, awaiting new benchwork. Can't wait!

Later!

Had an eye opener this morning: First of all reading about "NO COFFEE" scared the hell out of me; then, after I fired up the Kerig, I opened up this MACPRO and discovered that the operator is certainly - NO PRO! (I haven't figured out how to moe a photo, nor spell check, or correct a mistake in my writing - then to top it all off -- KARL won't put any Vodka in my OJ!
OK, next fright was when I opened the local weather page and saw that the local present temperature was 99F - OK, I see that other close by towns are reporting 47 to 53F - so I take that as a glitch in the local station. Not to be outdone - I checked the high for yesterday and it showed 133F - ??? and the forecast today of 138F ... where's my "laced" OJ, KARL ???
Nice builder's photos of the hoppers, JOE! Sorry that I have not figured out how to make one word BOLD as of now!

Back to school! BBL for some grub.
TROY, You lead an interesting life with your everyday musings! How did you manage to find the valve for the dishwasher?

TROY, You lead an interesting life with your everyday musings! How did you manage to find the valve for the dishwasher?
Sherrel... a little known secret of the MacBook is how to RIGHT click on the trackpad.... hold the Control (not the command) key and tap the trackpad.

Here's a decent "new to mac, how to" video.

as for the dishwasher, I found it after I sent the wife back to California to finish out her last two months at the old job (right as the lockdown hit in March 2020!).

I ventured into the furnace room to turn up the temp on the water heater... and right above it is where the valve was.

Well even though it rained this past weekend I still got my 90% of my wood split. I have a pallet and a half left to split that is stacked 6 feet high. Then I will begin the relocation and stacking of all the split wood that equates to 3 cords. That is on tap for this weekend. Who needs to work in a gym? I work out ....I work...outside! ;):D

Well I am a bit excited with a locomotive I found. I literally stumbled into it at a great price and brand spanking new in the box for $168 bucks with sound! Never been run or out of the box! It will be my first ES44AC unit. Can't wait to get it and show it off!

Loved catching up on everyone's post. Looking good gang!

Ya'll have a good week!

A little update on my ES44AC order....

I got confirmation and a tracking number, Whew! I was worried that they were gonna tell me that it was out of stock as this has happened to me numerous times with other online orders. I am sure you all can relate. Nothing ticks me off more when they have these great prices and then you place an order ..... a few moments later or days......oh I am sorry but this item is out of stock. Grrrrr....

Anyways I discovered I can get (2) more of these ES44ACs at another outlet on line but not at that price but still a decent price at Spring Creek Model trains. I bought a couple of the transfer cabeese from them in the past. These ES44AC are becoming scare and hard to find with ALL the bells and whistle including LEDs and certain paint schemes I am looking for. So I am holding off to tell you what RR scheme I got on the 1st order....I want to do a surprise entrance on my JR's UPRR thread....stay tuned everybody!

I hope ya'll have a good weekend. I will be stacking wood after a early morning walk tomorrow followed by the sound of a "thwack". I will be doing my 2nd fall harvest on another slick head for venison.

Oh by the way thanks to everyone on helping me find information on the quadruple door cars I guess they are called thrall cars? Anyways I was given the resources on finding them here. I will be getting (2) of them. I am unsure what scheme but I am leaning towards to a green color as I will be patching it and weathering it heavily.

Peace.

Good morning all,

Really not much to speak of. A pastor in our circuit has the 'vid, so is reaching out to others for help. I will cover his Sat. evening service and a funeral on Tuesday. Last year, I got sick and had to get a test. Someone did a baptism for me as I did not have the results back. I was negative, which I knew since none of hte symptoms were the 'vid symptoms, but as you all know - stub your toe and you must get a 12 foot pipe cleaner shoved up your nose.

Went to dinner last night with a co-worker of the wife's and had a nice time. Really nice chit-chat. We have not had 'friends' since . . . . . . . . . . I can't even remember. Tough to be 'friends' with anyone in your parish. Friendly, sure. But it has been eons since we had a couple with whom we could gather and just have fun. Not sure we're there yet, but nice folks. And don't get me wrong, I'm not crying in my beer - - mostly has to do with being so geographically fluid. Hard to find friendly couples in a place you did not grow up or lived for many years.

Golf today - - chill start here in Minnesota with the morning low dropping to 30F. But should get to near 50 and very little wind - - not a bad fall-golf day! Then stop by WHole Foods for some salmon to poach tonight and maybe a quiet movie with the missus. Certainly a quieter weekend than last with the huge pizza party!

Maybe even some train room time? - - - - - Steve J

Good Morning!
It's going to be a-bit cooler today, hitting a high of somewhere in the mid-forties.

Yesterday was an incredibly warm summer-like day, though. It was around 60f under blue skies with no wind. I seriously considered stripping down and going for a swim with the dog and a giant rodent:
CreekBeaver (2).jpg

That water is clean enough for a swim, and I used to do it all the time when I was a kid.

I'm just in for coffee, and then I'll be on my way. There's lots to do before the snow's cover us up.

Here's some photos of a Via Rail display located in Jasper. Don't ask me what is says on the engine, as I don't read French; but, I'll bet Christian knows what the words say.
Via 6454_Jasper_10-18-2021 (1).jpg
Via 6454_Jasper_10-18-2021 (2).jpg
Via_Jasper_10-18-2021 (3).jpg

Well folks, that's all the time I have for today. Just a short post.
Thanks for all the likes on past post! Have a good one!

Good morning all! 59 degrees and cloudy, heading up to 61 for the day.

Today is the big day for my job interview. Really hoping it goes well, but we'll see. People at my current job have been jumping ship left and right. It's not so much the money people are leaving for. Everyone is tired of having a terrible schedule that doesn't allow for a personal life of any kind. That's my main reason for wanting to leave, along with the pain in my feet from walking that concrete floor so many hours a day.

My birthday is tomorrow, so going out this evening with the family for dinner. I have to work tomorrow, so tonight was the best opportunity to get us all together.

Hope you all have a great day.
Ken

A little update on my ES44AC order....

I got confirmation and a tracking number, Whew! I was worried that they were gonna tell me that it was out of stock as this has happened to me numerous times with other online orders. I am sure you all can relate. Nothing ticks me off more when they have these great prices and then you place an order ..... a few moments later or days......oh I am sorry but this item is out of stock. Grrrrr....

Anyways I discovered I can get (2) more of these ES44ACs at another outlet on line but not at that price but still a decent price at Spring Creek Model trains. I bought a couple of the transfer cabeese from them in the past. These ES44AC are becoming scare and hard to find with ALL the bells and whistle including LEDs and certain paint schemes I am looking for. So I am holding off to tell you what RR scheme I got on the 1st order....I want to do a surprise entrance on my JR's UPRR thread....stay tuned everybody!

I hope ya'll have a good weekend. I will be stacking wood after a early morning walk tomorrow followed by the sound of a "thwack". I will be doing my 2nd fall harvest on another slick head for venison.

Oh by the way thanks to everyone on helping me find information on the quadruple door cars I guess they are called thrall cars? Anyways I was given the resources on finding them here. I will be getting (2) of them. I am unsure what scheme but I am leaning towards to a green color as I will be patching it and weathering it heavily.

Peace.
James, great that you purchased a locomotive with no issues. I consider Spring Creek my 4th choice of online purchases on because of price.

1st is Lombardhobby.com
2nd is Hiawathahobbies.com
3rd is Midwestmodelrr.com
4th is springcreek model trains
5th is Walthers.com

Out of college in the 70’s I worked in customer service/purchasing. One of my duties was comparing pricing on purchased products by phone of course in those days. I still do it but by computer now whenever I purchase anything for my layout, house or personal. It does drive the wife nuts.

My list has compared sale cost along with standard shipping. But, between the 1st 4 shops sometimes pricing are less then 5 bucks apart. Yes, I am retired so I do have the time. IMO it pays to compare. Of my list above, they are all excellent shops especially Walthers when they have their sales.

TomO

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and a bit chilly at 56°, headed back into the mid-80's again today.
Grocery trek yesterday went well. Still no shortages on the shelves at the Kroger that I patronize, but I didn't go into the TP aisle. Beer coolers and meat coolers were all full. About 50% of the shoppers were wearing their masks. Gas prices finally rose above $3.04/gal, but I had accumulated enough gas points at Kroger for a 90¢/gal reduction in cost. That saved me over $12.

Mexican omelet this morning Flo, extra bacon on the side. Tall OJ to go with it.

Thanks as usual to all who liked or commented on my progress photos yesterday; Patrick, Guy, Steve J, Karl, Chad, Rick, Sherrel, Tom O, Hughie, Troy, Curt, Ken, Jerry.

I only had a very short visit to the train shed yesterday, as I was dealing with the appliance repairman. While there, I started painting roof details and finished up all of the crates. No pictures of the build today.
So out of the archive, let's revisit Dolly's Confectionery, a Bar Mills kit that I did about two years ago. I like this structure because of the "painted-on" signs, none of which have anything to do with confectionery!
IMG_7493.JPG

IMG_7494.JPG

IMG_7495.JPG

It is interesting reading about the issues with purchasing Testor's Dull-cote. I have seen the Rustoleum logo on the cans for a couple of years. As far as I can tell, it is still made but the formulation may have been tweaked a bit. There's no shortage here, it's readily available at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and my LHS. Haven't needed to look any where else. BTW, it cannot be shipped by air, ground shipping only due to the pressurized can according to the DOT regulations.
Regarding trucking in California; my company stopped doing business in California many years ago because of the onerous trucking regulations there. We had our own fleet and all of our drivers were non-union. The leased tractors were always less than two years old and complied with all regulations out there, but there were problems with backhauls mostly. Even though there were plenty available, they couldn't go to non-union drivers, whether by state rules or shipper preference, I don't remember. We couldn't afford to deadhead all of the way back to Texas. When we did go there, all drivers fueled up in Arizona before crossing the border. There was also an hours of service issue out there as I also remember. This was all ten years ago before the current issues arose.
Ken - Good luck with the interview today.
Jaz - Since I am not a civil engineer, I never would have caught that issue with the stone arch bridge. I learned something new this week. The scene with the track workers is quite well done.
Tom O - I am sure that the horse appreciates you not riding in the rain. ;) Have a safe trip this weekend.

I don't drink coffee but I sympathize with those that do.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome upcoming weekend.

Ken: Good luck on the interview and have a Happy, Happy!

Tom O: I've been to Spring Creek, it about a 3 hour drive. Nice store in a really small town. They're supposed to be about 7 miles from me early next month. I'm still trying to figure out where as it's a town of about 1000 they are going to be at.

Good morning from crispy cool Wisconsin. 34f this morning at wake-up heading towards 50. We are driving east to have lunch with Terry’s siblings. We will be staying on the Interstate because the back roads I wanted have issues. Was hoping to run through some changing tree color areas but it is not to be.

Eveyone have a great safe day.
TomO

So out of the archive, let's revisit Dolly's Confectionery, a Bar Mills kit that I did about two years ago. I like this structure because of the "painted-on" signs, none of which have anything to do with confectionery!
Willie-That cigar sign is one of the most eye catching displays I have seen on a model structure. I love it when you share some of your "Dolly" pictures.

Sometimes I don't come in at all; sometimes I show my face twice in the same day!

Guy: Great Photos. Is that a permanent display or a VIA Marketing display? That is a big Beaver.
Joe - I can't answer that question with certainty. It looks permanent enough with a fence and train stop erected behind it. However, there is a huge Via Rail presence in that yard, and weathering on the loco makes it appear it has been used recently. I'm not sure if that F40 is old enough to retire.

I don't drink coffee but I sympathize with those that do.
Willie - I don't believe that beer is any healthier as a substitute for coffee!

Ken (OBTC) - It sounds like you work for the Amazon people at this time. I'm hearing that is a tough job with little consideration for employee rights.

Since I'm in the building, it's only proper that I drop down a photo.
Here's another Jasper building that kinda has that alpine look to it. Maybe people want to know how a stone walled building looks.
This is the tourists information center, across the street from the tracks:
JaspStore_10-18-2021 (3).jpg

Have a good what's left of this fine Friday!

James, great that you purchased a locomotive with no issues. I consider Spring Creek my 4th choice of online purchases on because of price.

1st is Lombardhobby.com
2nd is Hiawathahobbies.com
3rd is Midwestmodelrr.com
4th is springcreek model trains
5th is Walthers.com

Out of college in the 70’s I worked in customer service/purchasing. One of my duties was comparing pricing on purchased products by phone of course in those days. I still do it but by computer now whenever I purchase anything for my layout, house or personal. It does drive the wife nuts.

My list has compared sale cost along with standard shipping. But, between the 1st 4 shops sometimes pricing are less then 5 bucks apart. Yes, I am retired so I do have the time. IMO it pays to compare. Of my list above, they are all excellent shops especially Walthers when they have their sales.

TomO
I like your list.....and have shopped from all of them except Hiawathahobbies.com.

I would encourage you to look at Yankeedabbler and The Western Depot. Yankeedabbler is very competitive and The Western Depot is not the best pricing BUT has quite an inventory for hard to find items and pleasant to talk to on the phone......yes live person.

Most of my rolling stock are 2nd hand or used like 80%. Sometimes I buy them new. Most of my locomotives are new like 75% the other 25% used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back