Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Lewis - ‎Steam Locomotive Photographs
NKP 765 is westbound at St. Louis Missouri on 9 Sep 2012.
1571919239040.png

Good morning shop dwellers ... FLO, I'd like a couple of English muffins with eggs and sausage, please - just leave the coffee pot here!

It's currently 56 degrees with an expected high of 93 today. I guess they are expecting "winds" in the Northern LA area, and on up further North. SCE and PPG are shutting off power to try and avoid fires from downed lines.
Such is life in the utopia of liberals.

The record high this date is 99 in 2017.
The record low this date is 46 in 2012.

Good Morning All. 62° and partly cloudy. High today is predicted to be 65° with a 100% chance of 2"+ of rain. So far the rain is staying north in Oklahoma and stretching up to Johnny's in Missouri. Hopefully it won't interfere too much with the weekly grocery/beer trek this morning. Had a nice picnic lunch with SIL and her husband who are camping out (in a RV) in a nearby state park on Lake Ray Roberts. I brought some genuine locally made Texas BBQ brisket. Pulled pork is the specialty back in Tennessee where they live now, and they said that they missed "good" beef BBQ.

Home fries and sausage for me this morning, Francine, and get Louis some decaf!;)

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Patrick, Louis, Sherrel, Phil, Chad, Curt, Tom, Jerome, Mike.

Limited day in the train shed again yesterday, I tweaked the track arrangement slightly and attached feeders. As many of you know, I keep several projects going at most times. While I am working over on the layout, I usually have an additional one over on the workbench for when glue/paint is drying, or I just have to sit down a bit. Yesterday I pulled out an over 30 year old Magnuson resin vehicle kit.
10-23-19 001.JPG

10-23-19 002.JPG

10-23-19 003.JPG

Any of you who might have built one of these in the past, know about the excessive flash on the parts. In This case, there is so much on the bottom of the cab, that I decided to leave it and just trim around the edges.
10-23-19 004.JPG

It's a scale 4".
10-23-19 005.JPG

I'll see how it turns out after priming.

Garry - I asked about Dave a few weeks ago and no one seems to know. He was planning to make another temporary move in early September and posted about it.
Patrick - I am not a pickup driver, but that thing about the spare on the Ridgeline is a really good example of poor engineering. Kind of like a certain late 70's subcompact car where the engine had to be removed to get one of the spark-plugs out!
Beady - Mighty fine depot there. They did a really good job of restoring it.
Great that you were finally able to post some pictures of the layout. I see that Homer is still standing guard.
Chad - Looking good. As an HO person, I am often amazed at the amount of trackwork that can fit in a small area.
Rick - Wow! What a layout!

One of my childhood neighbors and a classmate of mine through the end of high school has gotten into the news again due to his passion for the Astros. I posted about him a couple of years ago when he opened up some of his furniture stores as storm shelters for people in Houston during the devastating Hurricane Harvey. Jim McIngvale, aka Mattress Mack always runs those "if ______ wins, your mattress is free" type sales at his stores. This year is no different but he's covering it with his other passion of gambling. Mattress Mack

Today is National Bologna Day, which I have been mispronouncing for over 60 years. Everybody have a great day. I hope that I can get this post posted.

Did a might small checking on leasing yesterday and found out a bit of info.
One still has to pay the license and registration + the sales tax 7.75 to 9% is divided by the number of months in the lease.
Interesting comments yesterday about "how the looks are"; I don't care - just want something dependable and more fuel efficient than the present. After Terry's go-round - I'm not interested in that one!
Also trying to figure if I really need a truck anymore?

Beware of new car ratings and awards. I bought my wife, now ex-wife a 1990 Lincoln Town Car, Motor Trend's car of the year. I never had so many problems as I did with that car. Even Motor Trend later admitted they made a mistake.

On the other hand after I purchased my Chevrolet City Express I heard and read all kinds of negative things about it's CVT transmission. I have not had a bit of trouble with it and it works fantastic for me.

I skipped breakfast this morning, I'm making paprikash krumpli with beef for brunch if anybody is hungry.

I may not be able to speak Hungarian (Magyar), but I can do some Hungarian cooking!

Also trying to figure if I really need a truck anymore?

Sherrel: Not for nothing, one of te reasons I went back to the truck was that with my arthritic legs, it's easier to climb up into the truck cab, than to scrunch myself into or out of a sedan, especially on my 45° slope driveway. Your experience may differ.

Beware of new car ratings and awards.
Louis: I have always found those ratings to be subjective, and unreliable, regardless of source. Again, your experience may be different.

Boris

32F at 7:55AM. I think it was warmer in the night and a cold front is coming through.

We almost bought an Alliance when I was in HS. Instead, my parents bought a Dodge K-Car. It was not the greatest either. I quite liked the Alliance styling at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back